PDA

View Full Version : Vegan London, Part Three

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Marrers
Mar 1st, 2010, 04:10 PM
I love the Whoopies from Vx (said as V 'cross', as it's 5 minutes walk from Kings Cross!) and they were selling a lovely looking chocolate cake with strawberries on top by the slice but I didn't get any.

It's well worth a visit - they have loads of goodies from frozen ready meals to stylish shoes to condoms and apparently there is more to come! Nice to be somewhere you know you can buy anything you pick up without any label reading. :thumbsup:

Frank
Mar 1st, 2010, 05:07 PM
Benefit for FARMED FRIEND ANIMAL RESCUE SANCTUARY

1980s DISCO/PARTY night, Saturday 13th March

MANNIONS PRINCE ARTHUR PUB
158 Broad Lane, Tottenham, N15
8pm till 1am
£3 on the door.

Vegan cakes for sale.

Raffle - prizes include 2 nights for 2 people at a veg b&b, Booja Booja
chocolates, cakes, CDs.

Troutina
Mar 1st, 2010, 07:18 PM
Awesome name for a cat! ... does he look like Rasputin? :)

Not much, but he is a bit of a love machine:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/twitpic/photos/large/67068964.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=0ZRYP5X5F6FSMBCCSE82&Expires=1267472062&Signature=qHMHH0GOBdjJfWRWLWYeE5FOlj4%3D

BlackCats
Mar 2nd, 2010, 06:32 PM
Benefit for FARMED FRIEND ANIMAL RESCUE SANCTUARY 1980s DISCO/PARTY night, Saturday 13th March
MANNIONS PRINCE ARTHUR PUB
158 Broad Lane, Tottenham, N15
8pm till 1am
£3 on the door.
Vegan cakes for sale.
Raffle - prizes include 2 nights for 2 people at a veg b&b, Booja Booja
chocolates, cakes, CDs.

That sounds pretty good Frank.

I'm finally going to try the Gallery Cafe in Bethnal Green tomorrow. Gallery Cafe (http://stmargaretshouse.org.uk/gallery-cafe/gallery-cafe) We are also going to Zilli Green on Thursday. Thanks for the reviews VeganMonkey and Kaylee.:)

VeganMonkey
Mar 2nd, 2010, 09:00 PM
Hope you enjoy Zilli Green BlackCats - let us know what you think. I was thinking I should probably give it another sampling pretty soon! :p

Spud Addict
Mar 2nd, 2010, 10:39 PM
Not much, but he is a bit of a love machine:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/twitpic/photos/large/67068964.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=0ZRYP5X5F6FSMBCCSE82&Expires=1267472062&Signature=qHMHH0GOBdjJfWRWLWYeE5FOlj4%3D

That really is a cool name for a cat, do you sing the song to him? :)

Troutina
Mar 2nd, 2010, 11:13 PM
That really is a cool name for a cat, do you sing the song to him? :)

Of course! I've taught him all about his Russian heritage. I tried to buy him a little Russian outfit, but apparantly they don't exist.

BlackCats
Mar 3rd, 2010, 05:01 PM
Hope you enjoy Zilli Green BlackCats - let us know what you think.

Thanks, I will report back.:smile:

Gallery Cafe was great today and it has very friendly staff. It was much bigger than I expected although I didn't manage to get a seat near the window overlooking the garden as it was really busy at about 1.30. There were a lot of vegan options on the menu. We had a vegan burger, two big bowls of fries, a piece of cake, two cupcakes, a bottle of cider and a bottle of water and it came to less than £20! The food was delicious too. I am definitely going back there as often as possible.:cool:

Holly78
Mar 4th, 2010, 01:15 PM
I am going to The Gate vegetarian restaurant in Hammersmith in a few weeks time. Has anyone been? Any recommendations from the menu?

http://www.thegate.tv/gate2008/web/default.asp

Marrers
Mar 4th, 2010, 02:27 PM
I haven't been for a while so my comments wouldn't be relevant now (when it was the only upmarket veggie restaurant in town we used to end up at The Gate on almost every special occasion).
Have a good time and let us know what you think of it.

Thanks for posting about The Gallery Cafe BC. My omni freinds were up that way a few weeks back, they didn't eat there but were telling me how good the food and vegan cakes looked so it's good to hear from someone who has been!

aubergine
Mar 4th, 2010, 08:47 PM
I went to the Gate a couple of years ago and was impressed. It was the first veg*n restaurant I'd visited that didn't just cook 'substitute' foods. If I was in the area I would definitely go again although I would say the service was a bit slow considering we had reserved our table in good time to make a show at the Apollo and ended up being a bit late.

aubergine
Mar 4th, 2010, 08:49 PM
I really like the look of Tibits and would like to visit if I get myself up into London again, or I guess I should say when. I guess good food is motivation to overcome hurdles.

Spud Addict
Mar 4th, 2010, 10:32 PM
Thanks, I will report back.:smile:

Gallery Cafe was great today and it has very friendly staff. It was much bigger than I expected although I didn't manage to get a seat near the window overlooking the garden as it was really busy at about 1.30. There were a lot of vegan options on the menu. We had a vegan burger, two big bowls of fries, a piece of cake, two cupcakes, a bottle of cider and a bottle of water and it came to less than £20! The food was delicious too. I am definitely going back there as often as possible.:cool:

How was the burger BC? (Glad you had a good day :) )

alisont
Mar 4th, 2010, 10:56 PM
I really like the look of Tibits and would like to visit if I get myself up into London again, or I guess I should say when. I guess good food is motivation to overcome hurdles.

Ive been twice now and really like Tibits - about 75% of the main salad 'boat' was vegan - yes Its not cheap but the food is so fresh and tasty - normally I find I leave some salads but not here - have yet to find one I didnt like! Never tried any pudding dont think they do many vegan ones but the salad selection was amazing and they do freedom ber on tap. Filling tasty food yet I never feel over full when I leave. Do try the potato wedges!

BlackCats
Mar 5th, 2010, 01:02 AM
^ I really liked the food at Tibits too.

How was the burger BC? (Glad you had a good day :) )

The burger was okay but seemed very healthy and homemade.:D The chips and cakes were really nice.

Zilli Green was very nice tonight. We shared bread with olive oil, roast rosemary potatoes and the quinoa and wild mushroom sushi rolls for a starter and then I had the tagliatelle with mushrooms and white truffle oil for a main. The pasta was gorgeous.:heart: I was too full to eat any dessert after that.:rolleyes: I thought the prices were very reasonable as well.

Troutina
Mar 5th, 2010, 07:49 AM
Do try the potato wedges!

And the onion rings!
Ooh and the bean and walnut salad!

Marrers
Mar 5th, 2010, 10:29 AM
I've never seen the onion rings at Tibits but they usually have the wedges. The bean & walnut salad is really tasty, probably my favourite dish there.

SAF RESTAURANT AND BAR AT WHOLE FOODS MARKET® KENSINGTON TO BE OPEN AT THE END OF MARCH
Whole Foods Market and Saf Restaurant and Bar are coming together to bring Saf's signature plant based dining experience to Whole Foods Market's Kensington store from Spring 2010. The new restaurant and signature cocktail bar will be a major feature of the first floor's 'Market Restaurant' and it will give diners the opportunity to have an intimate dining experience amongst the buzzy store atmosphere.

VeganMonkey
Mar 5th, 2010, 11:46 AM
Glad you enjoyed Zilli Green BlackCats. Did you book? Was it busy? - it felt to me like it would be a bit claustrophobic when full! If you were too full for dessert my suspicions have been confirmed: I'm a greedy pig! I had the same main as you and thought it was yummy too. Did you get offered cheese on top though? Did you feel confident that the waiter understood what vegan was? [sorry, 20 questions!!]

BlackCats
Mar 5th, 2010, 11:54 AM
VeganMonkey - I did book about a week before and I got a call on the day to check I still wanted it. It was very busy in there and I did feel a little cramped at times. A member of staff said that it is more quiet at lunchtimes and busy in the evenings. I'm sure I am more greedy than you.:D I sometimes fill up on a few starters and then can't fit in any dessert! The waiter didn't offer me any cheese on top of my pasta.

VeganMonkey
Mar 5th, 2010, 12:48 PM
That's good that you weren't offered cheese.. What with the creamy looking sauce and being asked if I wanted cheese I wasn't too confident my meal was really vegan which spoilt the enjoyment a bit.
I must admit, I thought most of the starters and side dishes sounded more interesting than the mains and the roast potatoes and spinach were lovely so I might order a load of sides instead of a main next time!

beanstew
Mar 18th, 2010, 02:25 AM
I made my second visit to Mrs Marengo's today. I had the mushroom and ale pie with mushy peas and fries. It was fab:)

bryzee86
Mar 18th, 2010, 08:17 AM
Vegan cake fest? Don't mind if I do:

http://www.tohappyvegans.com/wordpress//thv-vegan-cake-fest-31st-march-2010/

Might bake something if my oven is working by then.

mariana
Mar 18th, 2010, 01:54 PM
I tried out Loving Hut recently--really liked the burger, and I'm usually not a huge fan of faux meat!

I am going to The Gate vegetarian restaurant in Hammersmith in a few weeks time. Has anyone been? Any recommendations from the menu?

http://www.thegate.tv/gate2008/web/default.asp
I stopped by The Gate last night on my way back from a movie at the Riverside Cinema. I couldn't resist trying out The Gate. Had already had dinner, but my friend and I split the apple crumble. It was really nice (though kind of pricey for the size), and the service was really fast (probably because we went just before closing and there was only other group there). My omni friend was impressed. I definitely want to go back sometime to try their mains, though I think I'll have to wait for a special occasion... The decor is really nice, too. Hope you enjoy it!

Ooh, this looks really great! Think I'll go. Can't decide what to bake...

Holly78
Mar 18th, 2010, 02:49 PM
I stopped by The Gate last night on my way back from a movie at the Riverside Cinema. I couldn't resist trying out The Gate. Had already had dinner, but my friend and I split the apple crumble. It was really nice (though kind of pricey for the size), and the service was really fast (probably because we went just before closing and there was only other group there). My omni friend was impressed. I definitely want to go back sometime to try their mains, though I think I'll have to wait for a special occasion... The decor is really nice, too. Hope you enjoy it!

Thank you! I will post a review after I have been.

Enchantress
Mar 18th, 2010, 03:17 PM

Awesome. I'll have to see if I can get myself down there.