PDA

View Full Version : Vegan London, Part Three

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Gwydion
Jan 23rd, 2011, 11:36 PM
So it seems the proper big daddy bustaurant, Rootmaster (stationed at Brick Lane) - is no more :(

At least for the time being! I walked past there today and couldn't believe it when that bouncing red beauty wasn't in my field of vision. Gutting! Hopefully they are back in action soon, and still local.

Check the website (http://www.root-master.co.uk/) for further info.

rainbow
Jan 29th, 2011, 08:14 PM
Oh no! :( What happened to Rootmaster?
Also, any updates on when we might hope to see Ms Cupcake's shop opening?
I'm living in Paris for a bit, but coming home periodically and back at the end of June. Currently stocking up on French noms (so much better here than ever before!), so would be good to have yummy London goodies to look forward to to tempt me back!!

twinkle
Jan 29th, 2011, 10:43 PM
Also, any updates on when we might hope to see Ms Cupcake's shop opening?

If you're on Facebook you can 'fan' her on there, it seems to get updated quite regularly. Last update on shop was on Thursday where she says it'll be open in just over a month.

rainbow
Jan 29th, 2011, 11:49 PM
Thanks Twinkle. I'm not on FB, but I am in London for the last week of February. *hopes and prays that her shop opens before 28 February so I can see, otherwise I'll have to wait until the end of April!*

Troutina
Jan 31st, 2011, 03:56 PM
I think Ms Cupcake said that her new shop will be in Brixton? Super excited, her cupcakes are amaaaazing. Franco Manca and Cupcakes, perfection!

rainbow
Jan 31st, 2011, 04:03 PM
Was hoping it might be closer to East London, but if Brixton is where she will be at, then to Brixton I shall go! Thanks Troutina.

VeganMonkey
Feb 1st, 2011, 01:38 PM
One of her assistants suggested (without directly saying so) that the Ms Cupcake shop will be in Greenwich... Who knows?! Thanks for the Facebook tip Twinkle - I've just been checking her website which hasn't been updated since early December!

mutuality
Feb 2nd, 2011, 07:03 PM
Pimlico Fresh sounds v interesting, please do report. I see it closes fairly early, about 8pm is it? But that's reasonable for a cafe.

Well, I did make it to Pimlico Fresh on Monday and can report that there were vegan options, though my only disappointment was the fact that you had to share the premises with meat-eaters :mad::mad:

Starters - Minestrone or Sweet Potato, Coconut and Coriander Soup £3.50 (opted for Minestrone as the later was not ready when I arrived - tasted ok but not the best I have ever had. Small bowl with plain wholemeal bread, no Pure etc)

Main - Vegan Tuscan Ragout with Rice - £6.80 - (did not order)

Vegan Organic Chocolate Brownie - £2.50 (a bit dry but ok)

Fruit Salad - £2.80 (requested without the natural yogurt and honey). (Large bowl - fresh and tasty consisting of banana, blueberries, grapes, melon, pineapple enough for 2)

It was clean, no adverse smells, the staff were friendly and the seating arrangements are two large communal tables with 4 stools facing the window and a chalk board as the menu.

My personal preference is for solely vegan eateries, but might visit again if in that area. :)

harpy
Feb 2nd, 2011, 11:24 PM
Thanks for the report, mutuality. That does sound a worthwhile addition to the options in Victoria - perhaps if enough of us go they'll switch to being 100% vegan...well, you never know.

Marrers
Feb 18th, 2011, 01:33 PM
One of her assistants suggested (without directly saying so) that the Ms Cupcake shop will be in Greenwich... Who knows?!
Ms Cupcake is definitely going to be in Brixton. Read how they are getting on so far here (http://www.mscupcake.co.uk/index.php?mact=News,cntnt01,detail,0&cntnt01articleid=4&cntnt01origid=17&cntnt01returnid=39).

Pimlico Fresh sounds interesting, thanks for the review. I normally end up at Yo! Sushi if I need to eat at Victoria, it's above WHS in the train station itself. That branch is pretty good and they have quite a few vegans so will veganise dishes that other branches may not if you ask.

Last time I was at Vantra (http://www.vantra.co.uk/menu.html) on Soho Street (nearest tube is Tottenham Court Road) they had just opened and were doing a mostly raw self service buffet. This time they have hot and cold food behind the counter at £2 a portion which is pretty similar to what you get at Vita Organic from what I could see. I had a portion of stroganoff and potato salad. Instead of putting them on a plate they give you a tray with an empty side plate and put each food portion into a small shallow bowls which spilled over the edges and I found difficult to eat from. I suppose that might be nice if you were sharing various things but felt a bit messy to me.

However what was interesting to me was the Dim Sum and squares of cottage pie and lasagne (all £3.80 each I think). I was disappointed to see much of the food was not labelled (less than half of the hot and cold food and none of the dim sum) and unfortunately most of the staff weren't really aware of what was in each of the 7 different looking dim sums but I tried what they knew to be a spinach one and it was really lovely. You have to wait about 10 minutes while they steam it. They also have a version of sausage rolls, which is a big portion as you get two, and a sort of samosa. I'll definitely eat the dim sum again and it's something that would be nice to have with a few people so you could try a few (unless they would do a selection plate - I didn't think to ask).

I took home a chocolate truffle (they have several different types) and a slice of raw chocolate cake which was a dense chocolate filling in a thin raw seed base. Neither were quite sweet enough for me and I wouldn't have them again.
They have hot drinks, wine (house red was very nice) and cocktails. The sign says an a la carte menu is coming soon.

Marrers
Feb 19th, 2011, 02:07 AM
Croydon The Ship pub (http://www.shippub.co.uk) has a vegan chef and quite a few vegan food options on the menu. They also have soya milk. Food is served 12-8 Monday to Saturday and 12-6 on Sunday. I believe they do a vegan roast dinner but double check if you are making a special trip. I haven't eaten there yet but I plan to soon. (They are talking to their brewery about getting in vegan wines but don't have any at present.)

harpy
Mar 1st, 2011, 05:57 PM
A petition that may interest fans of Ms Cupcake - I haven't caught up with her and at this rate I never will :(

http://www.petitionbuzz.com/petitions/mscupcake

rainbow
Mar 1st, 2011, 07:03 PM
Thanks harpy! I've signed the petition. Disgraceful. If there are indeed too many cupcake stalls, why not demote the one that doesn't cater to vegans? Or better still, let people vote with their feet - if her cakes are selling out every time, clearly the patrons of the market think she should be there! Maybe she was stealing too many customers from one of the inferior cake stalls and they kicked up a stink instead of raising their game...
Hopefully this will soon all be irrelevant as she will be focusing all her attention on the new shop. Can't wait!

harpy
Mar 6th, 2011, 05:51 PM
In the unlikely event that anyone's looking for a meal in Wandsworth sometime, I wanted to put in a word for the (not very exotically named) Chinese Tonight, 34 Upper Richmond Road, London SW15 2RX. It mostly does takeaway business but you can eat in as well, and I think the food is well above average for a local Chinese restaurant. The manageress is lovely and she does understand about not eating animal products (e.g. she pointed out when someone we were with ordered something with fish sauce in, and also mentioned that they had vegetarian oyster sauce). They have a vegetarian section on the menu which is mostly vegan stuff - just ask them not to put eggs in anything.

teaboy
Mar 14th, 2011, 05:16 PM
If you like Tex-Mex food there are a couple that are worth trying; Mexicali have branches on Wardour St, W1 and Fulham Rd, SW10 and, Benito's Hat are on Goodge St, W1 and New Row, WC2 off Garrick St. You can get pretty good vegan burritos at both.

rainbow
Mar 14th, 2011, 06:46 PM
Thanks for this useful suggestion. I love Tex-Mex but didn't know where to find any in London.

Gwydion
Mar 14th, 2011, 08:21 PM
As above, word for word. Thanks teaboy!

Strong, no sugar btw.

pusskins
Apr 14th, 2011, 12:44 PM
New vegan tea shop/patisserie opening up! October Cafe. Based on Old Street in London.

Website here (http://www.octobercafe.co.uk/index.htm)

rainbow
Apr 14th, 2011, 12:49 PM
Awesome! Thanks for sharing!
You spend your whole life waiting for a vegan bakery in London, and then along come two at once! Not that I'm complaining! :D

pusskins
Apr 14th, 2011, 12:50 PM
No probs :) I'm going to go vegan mental when I get my train pass and can get to London for not much!!!

Gwydion
Apr 14th, 2011, 08:19 PM
Marvellous! Cute or what.

Cheers for the link.

VeganMonkey
Apr 14th, 2011, 08:44 PM
Wow, thanks Pusskins! Where did you hear about this? I'm even more excited about this than the Ms Cupcake shop as it's much easier for me to get to and I love the idea of a totally vegan cafe with a cute tearoom vibe. Vegan afternoon tea in London with scones, jam and cream and without twenty questions/ that worried feeling that there's non-vegan marg in your sandwiches?! I'm so happy! Let's hope the cakes are as good as Ms Cupcakes....

twinkle
Apr 14th, 2011, 09:12 PM
I'm there! Or at least, that sounds like an excellent place to go for my birthday in July.

harpy
Apr 14th, 2011, 11:32 PM
That's great, thanks Pusskins. Bit of a hike from here but could be v handy when I go to the Barbican...

Gattona
Apr 15th, 2011, 07:17 AM
Oh wow! That's my dream. Thanks Pusskins