Frank
Feb 18th, 2010, 11:03 AM
Carrying on from:

Vegan London, part 2

http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22500

Which contains a lot of useful info.

Marrers
Feb 18th, 2010, 05:37 PM
Scoop is opening another branch at 53 Brewer Street in early April. They hope to be open on the first Saturday.

harpy
Feb 19th, 2010, 11:43 AM
Thanks for that veganmonkey - it is a bit worrying about the parmesan (seeing that isn't even vegetarian IIRC) but as you say it may be better once they get into their stride. The pricing does sound quite reasonable especially for that part of town. Did the other customers seem satisfied or couldn't you tell?

Marrers
Feb 19th, 2010, 11:48 AM
Thanks for the review VeganMonkey, much appreciated. I read elsewhere that the service wasn't great and portions a bit small. I'm surprised about the service as I thought this was always a Zilli restaurant and had just changed the menu (and maybe had a refurb) so surely they should know what they are doing? It's not like it's a totally new venture. :confused:

VeganMonkey
Feb 19th, 2010, 12:19 PM
That's true Marrers, it's just been refurbished so you wouldn't think the staff were new. I think they were just recovering after the lunchtime rush so they seemed more concerned about resetting the tables than serving us! It was just little things really - didn't bother me too much but I expected a bit more (i.e. no offer of pepper when served and none on the table, no spoon for my tagliette).
Harpy, funnily enough the couple next to us weren't impressed. They had obviously gone there specifically as I heard her asking about the rice pudding which she'd seen on the online menu and which wasn't on the menu in there. I also heard her telling the waiter that her lasagna (not a vegan option) was dry - he got distracted by the phone and didn't offer to fix the problem in any way.
I don't mean to make it sound bad though - I'll definately go back (probably often as the location is so handy). At the end of the day, I enjoyed my food and that's the most important thing for me!

harpy
Feb 19th, 2010, 12:23 PM
Yes I'll give it a try as well, although perhaps I'll have something to eat first so I don't get too ratty if the service is slow or the portions small ;)

Marrers
Feb 19th, 2010, 12:31 PM
I'll give it a try but I'll be letting them know my thoughts if I feel it isn't up to standard in any way. If this is going to be some peoples' first or only experience of a veggie place (if they go just for the name) we want it to be good don't we! :devil:

robb
Feb 19th, 2010, 01:29 PM
However, after she'd set everything down she asked us if we wanted parmasan which didin't inspire much confidence!
Most worryingly, I understand that no Parmesan is even suitable for vegetarians. Of course, it could be a Parmesan-like vegetarian cheese. But then they wouldn't be allowed to call it Parmesan.

So do they even know what vegetarian means, let alone vegan?

Marrers
Feb 19th, 2010, 01:32 PM
harpy just said that - pay attention! :p

robb
Feb 19th, 2010, 01:33 PM
Doh. :o

I think I accidentally skipped messages 6-8 thinking they were messages 3-5 since they were posted by the same people in the same order!

I'll go back to bed now... ;)

Troutina
Feb 19th, 2010, 08:34 PM
Scoop is opening another branch at 53 Brewer Street in early April. They hope to be open on the first Saturday.

What does Scoop offer for vegans?
I've never heard of it before!

Marrers
Feb 20th, 2010, 02:50 AM
http://veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=547858&highlight=scoop#post547858

alisont
Feb 20th, 2010, 09:59 PM
Have to say Im lovong the hut!

Loving the hut in Camden - really nice atmosphere and food - best ever burger! The staff are so chatty and friendly there and Kenny from Peking Palace is making all the cakes/cheesecakes which are so nice.

I went for lunch yesterday and was so impressed I went back to Camden today before my train home to get a take out bag to bring home - parents were most impressed with their cake!

I have also stocked up at SSOV - that is one cool new shop in Kings Cross - went Fri pm and brought food items which were kept in the fridge for me so went back to collect those today and spent more on food! The vegan cream cheese is really good - like that Boursin one I had before I went vegan. Also got some frozen meals to try which look very good. Also got some of those vegan cake type buns with filling.

Have said Il spread the word about SSOV and Loving Hut:)

puca
Feb 21st, 2010, 05:23 PM
It's pay day next Friday, so methink that a trip to Housman's bookshop, then SSOV is due, seeing as they are so conveniently close.

ETA: If anybody is free for coffee that weekend lemme know :)

Buddha Belly
Feb 21st, 2010, 07:18 PM
I/ We may be about on Friday evening. Depends on work, if someone is in or not.

Frank
Feb 22nd, 2010, 11:41 AM
If you remember the macrobiotic vegetarian restaurant that used to be at the East West Centre in Old Street, or are interested in Japanese vegan wholefood cooking, pop along to the London Vegans talk on Wednesday about Macrobiotics with Simon Brown.

Date: 24/02/10 Wed
Time: 18:30-21:30
Venue: Community Rooms, Millman Street (entrance next to 38a), WC1N 3EW.

Nearest Stations: Russell Square, Holborn, Chancery Lane.

'Learning from traditional cultures to create the ultimate modern vegan diet.' Admission £2 (£1 concs.). Free hot drinks and biscuits provided. Newcomers are welcome. No alcohol or smoking allowed, but nearby pub session afterwards is an option. Hot Food can be pre-ordered from Shambhu's: 020 8931 0030.

Marrers
Feb 25th, 2010, 06:12 PM
Walked past it today - it's the shop right next door to Glasshouse Stores (Vegan Routes is almost opposite)! :)

Gwydion
Feb 26th, 2010, 04:44 PM
Good Lordy Lord!

That little haunt of ours is turning into a mini Brighton :D

kaylee
Feb 26th, 2010, 11:05 PM
Hello, this is my first post so please be nice!;) Me and my other half went to the new Zilli Green restaurant with a couple of omni friends last night and really enjoyed it. We were a bit rushed for time as we were going on to the theatre, but the staff were very helpful and brought the food out quickly. We both had the tofu 'steak' with asian salad which was yum (although could have used a little more seasoning IMHO), with sides of rosemary roasted potatoes and spinach with garlic and chilli - both delicious! Sadly we didn't have time to try the desserts (my favourite part of a meal lol) but I hope to rectify that on another visit.

I would give a big :thumbsup: to ambience, staff, portion sizes, vegan choices, and quality of food. Our omni friends enjoyed their veggie pasta dishes and said they would go back too.

harpy
Feb 27th, 2010, 01:03 PM
That's good Marrers, although it doesn't sound as if Wholefoods is making much progress with their plan to stock more healthy food and less junk :D

Thanks for the report, kaylee - much more encouraging than an earlier one I read so they must have pulled their socks up since opening.

Marrers
Feb 27th, 2010, 03:32 PM
it doesn't sound as if Wholefoods is making much progress with their plan to stock more healthy food and less junk
Maybe they are stocking more healthy stuff harpy - I wouldn't know as I don't go down those aisles!! ;)

Buddha Belly
Feb 28th, 2010, 07:56 PM
Has anyone ever been here: http://s208303316.websitehome.co.uk/

Bonnigton Cafe in Vauxhall. What is it like?

I have had lunch breaks in Vauxhall many times at work and am kicking myself that I did not know it.

Marrers
Mar 1st, 2010, 12:13 AM
Do a search (sorry I can't search and link to it as I'm on my phone), there is a thread about it with a review - unless it got put into this thread.

I was a little disappointed that the Wholefoods cake had a very thin layer of jam holding the two sponges together rather than frosting or something moist.
The fondant chocolates worked out at 90p each and imo the chocolate is too thick. Rococo fondant chocolates are much nicer.

Troutina
Mar 1st, 2010, 01:42 PM
Finally got around to visiting Vx yesterday- it's fantastic! Bought so many sweet things; Trios, Confetti Cookies (amazing. probably one of the nicest vegan treats I've ever had), whoopies and some chocolate peanut butter bites. Also some vegan cat food, but Rasputin was having none of it :(

So yes, I fully recommend you pay Vx a visit! It's a very short walk from Kings Cross Station: 73, Caledonian Rd.

loveganism
Mar 1st, 2010, 02:51 PM
Also some vegan cat food, but Rasputin was having none of it :(

Awesome name for a cat! ... does he look like Rasputin? :)