PDA

View Full Version : Living in Brighton

puca
Feb 21st, 2010, 07:23 PM
I'm thinking of moving down when I can, as I like the place... But I was wondering if some people could answer some questions on the city. Granted I'ma gonna stay with mates there too...

The attraction is that it seems to have character and that it's by the sea. There are apparently a lot of green-minded people in the city and I know also that it's very gay and veggie tolerant. However, I know grass is not always greener on the other side.

So to anyone who lives in Brighton, I was wondering if you could answer these questions...

What's the job market like at the moment?

Is it friendly to live there?

How about the cost of living... Does pay reflect the cost?

Is it true you need a car to get around?

In the summers, does it really get quite hectic?

Thanks so much!

seamus
Mar 3rd, 2010, 11:53 AM
yo!
i moved back here about 6 months ago. yes it is expensive here and the cost of living CAN be high. no doubt abaout that.
good community spirit however...
rate of pay, well-depends........on the job. there are jobs going down here alright. lot of menial stuff however there are a LOT of agencies.

SUMMERS ARE MENTAL

Hemlock
Mar 3rd, 2010, 05:08 PM
Job situation is bad at the moment and they are usually low paid. Avoid Inkfish - they are the worst employers on the planet. A lot of folk commute to London which is much better and the train links are direct.
It seems friendly enough, lots going on.
The cost of living is astronomical, everything has the Brighton mark up. I can't afford to shop there really. No way does pay reflect the cost which is why you are better off working in London.
Hardly anyone here that I know has a car, there is no parking anywhere and what parking there is is eye wateringly expensive but transport is so good you don't need a car.
Summer is great fun, lots going on and the whole city is really lively.
I live 20 miles out because I like the countryside but my son lives in Brighton, he's been unemployed for over a year now and is finding it really tough getting working again.

twinkle toes
Apr 29th, 2010, 09:57 AM
i don't live in brighton any more but when i did i found it a nightmare trying to get / keep a job as all i could ever find was telesales which i am not very good at :/ Hemlock is right, stinkfish are the worst, and you're not even allowed to bring a pen to work in case you write down somebodys bank account details or something. on the plus side though you don't really need a car, there is usually something going on for free (gigs, carnivals, free parties) and there are lots of friendly people around. Plus, although most places are pretty expensive its not impossible to find somewhere cheap to live, i lived in a really nice bedsit in seven dials which was ginormous and it only cost £390 a month with all the bills included.

Melanie
Jun 29th, 2010, 03:01 AM
I've been here a month and thus far have been unable to get a job. =/

twinkle toes
Jun 29th, 2010, 08:20 AM
ohh good luck melanie, have you registered with any agencies? maxestaff always used to be fairly helpful from what i remember and first recruitment on bond street!