PDA

View Full Version : need recommendations posh AND budget

Soesja
Feb 26th, 2010, 07:34 AM
hi!
we, dutch mom (vegan) and daughter (omni but vegan friendly) are hitting london sept 21 to 25.
we are staying in primrose hill (regents park road).

I would like to hear some recommendations for BOTH posh and budget places to eat around there (walking distance or tube if needed).
for the city itself would be nice too if we need lunch/ dinner.

since our place does no breakfast I need some options for that too.

sure i have found addresses already but I would like to hear what you people would actually recommend.
names that i have come across are manna, saf, sagar, beatroot, tibits, mildreds/ mrs marengo.
we like indian food too so more options like sagar would be welcome.

are there some organic shops/ food stores close to the staying address? I have a hard time finding these.

thanks so much
warmest greetings

Soesja
Mar 6th, 2010, 06:19 AM
thanks, Harpy.
by now I have found out also there is a whole foods market in camden so that will be a huge help too, and that camden town is just a walk from primrose hill, a little 15 minutes or so.

let's see what else comes up...

Marrers
Mar 6th, 2010, 11:14 AM
You might find this blog* (http://www.quarrygirl.com/category/restaurants-not-la/london-restaurants-not-la/) of interest as it reviews many places but also has pictures of the food. There are two pages.
* Please note SSOV has now moved to Kings Cross and is renamed Vx ("vee cross").
I would dispute what the blogger says about chips from chip shops almost always being vegan - in my experience of chip shops some chips are vegan but most are not, you need to check whether they also fry any other items (such as fish or sausages) in the same oil.
Also Red Veg and Pogo Cafe are currently closed so check before attempting to go there.

Not sure where to get breakfast but there is a porridge available in Starbucks where you add your choice of milk, so could choose soya milk. I have not looked into whether the dry ingredients are vegan though. For food on the run Starbucks in the UK have falafel based something (currently a wrap or panini I think) marked as vegan on the packaging.
Some Fresh! brand sandwiches are vegan (marked vegan on the packaging) and you'll find some or all of the range sold at many branches of Boots and some branches of small Tesco supermarkets.