PDA

View Full Version : too much fat on a raw diet?

Pages : [1] 2 3

foxytina_69
Jan 19th, 2005, 10:36 AM
i feel that im getting too much fat in my diet since becoming mostly raw, with the eating of guacamole, nuts/seeds, and olive oil in dressings. is this unhealthy?

cobainist403
Jan 19th, 2005, 10:42 AM
As far as I know, you are supposed to get 10%-20% fat from your diet. How come you aren't filling up on salads, smoothies, and healthier snacks? Just like a vegetarian who fills up on sweets, I would say that it probably isn't unhealthy, but not as healthy as you could be.

foxytina_69
Jan 19th, 2005, 10:45 AM
lol i dont eat JUST guacamole, nuts/seeds and olive oil! i meant that those are included in my diet, and im worried that i may be getting too much fat. i love fruit, salads and smoothies. but ill dip vegetables in guacamole, or use it on raw sushi, or i use olive oil in salad dressings, etc.

Mystic
Jan 19th, 2005, 10:47 AM
Then it doesn't sound like too much at all :)

foxytina_69
Jan 19th, 2005, 10:49 AM
i suppose if your diet is well rounded and youre getting a good variety of things, you cant be too high or low on anything.

Roxy
Mar 7th, 2008, 03:09 AM
I'd like to resurect this thread.

I feel like I am getting far too much fat on my new mostly-raw food diet.

The fat is coming mainly from nuts, seeds, avocado and olive oil. My skin seems to be liking it - but when I calculate the figures on fitday, it seems I'm getting a fat percentage of between 35 and 40% per day....which seems very excessive.

I worked VERY hard to lose the weight that I have, and I don't want to start putting it back on now.

Suggestions, anyone?

cedarblue
Mar 7th, 2008, 08:55 AM
but are you actually putting on weight roxy? imo the simpler you eat your body will adjust to it's natural weight, even if that involves putting on a lb or two, although it's normally the other way around. have you been monitoring your weight since eating more raw?

Roxy
Mar 7th, 2008, 04:20 PM
No, I haven't. Only because I'm due for my period, so if I get on the scale, it's going to show me as being heavier than usual anyway, due to it being that time of the month.

My clothes are fitting me the same. I guess I'm just paranoid about fat, seeing as I lost almost 40 pounds over a couple years, and I don't want to go back to what I was.

ALexiconofLove
Mar 7th, 2008, 04:27 PM
What are your percentages of carbs and protein? When I used to track, I went for 15-20% protein, 20-30% fat (usually at the higher end), and 50-65% carbs. I think 20-30% is the recommended amount for fat. But that wasn't a raw diet....

missbettie
Mar 7th, 2008, 05:45 PM
I think that fitday is evil!! I don't think that it is very accurate. And how come it doesn't do sugar?!

ALexiconofLove
Mar 7th, 2008, 08:48 PM
Ah, I used to do CalorieKing... it was lovely... very accurate as long as YOU were accurate (weighed/measured food). It had tons of stuff in the database. And it did sugar. I think I used it to track protein, fat, sugar, calcium, carbs, sodium... and maybe iron and potassium? It costs $ though.

cobweb
Mar 7th, 2008, 09:45 PM
surely it depends on the type of fats though - and what else you are eating with them?

i also think fitday is very inaccurate when compared to information on packaging, etc.

ellaminnowpea
Mar 7th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Hi Roxy,

Well, I haven't sustained an all raw intake for very long so I'm just saying what I know from doing it for a few days here and there. Personally, when I eat raw, I don't get much fat or protein at all. I think it's much healthier to get around 30% than less than 10%... after all, fat is needed to properly absorb vitamins and maintain cellular membranes, etc...

I'm not sure what the Canadian standards are, but as far as fat intake, the US standards recommend between 15-35%. Personally, I like to hit like 20% or less when I'm eating some cooked and some raw. Everyone requires different levels of fat to feel satiated. Anyway....

I understand that you're worried about putting weight on, but if you aren't eating more calories than before, you won't put on weight. Gaining weight is a direct correlation with number of calories you consume, regardless of what percentage is fat, protein, or CHOs. Maintaining your calories and varying your fat intake from day to day would be completely fine for weight maintanence.

By the way, I'm so happy you're starting raw! I can't wait to do this in the next week or so. :D

emmapresley
Mar 8th, 2008, 12:49 AM
fitday doesn't know what soya milk is..not that soya milk is raw..but whatever.

i think i'm having too much fat stuff on the raw thing. sunflower seeds..avocados..tahini (haven't even begun to try and buy that raw yet)..nuts...nuts..nuts..olive oil..hemp seeds..

i refuse to use fitday now..it is just making me feel crap about what i'm (trying to do) doing.

i've heard you say beofre roxy that you're a little uneasy about eating stuff that might contribute to weight gain, but you have an active job/lifestyle.

i wouldn't worry too much. didn't you work out your calorie intake and it was pretty low for the day, and that was including all the fatty stuff?

Roxy
Mar 8th, 2008, 07:59 AM
**WARNING** This post may contain triggers for someone with an E.D. Please don't read on if this could be you.

Thanks everyone for all of your supportive replies :)

Yes Emma, my calorie intake has been a lot lower than previously, but the fat intake has been a lot higher.

I don't know what I'm going to do to tell you the truth.

Eating raw has actually triggered my ED today :( I feel like I've been depriving myself, so tonight I binged on junk food. I had chips, chocolate and some little phyllo pastry things as well as almost a bottle of wine. I feel like shit for doing it, but I'm not going to let myself go and purge it all.

I think it might be healthier for me to start again, and try to introduce raw foods more slowly into my diet, rather than try and go all out and be 75% raw. What's the point, if it's going to cause me to go back to being bulimic?

Sorry for the rant everyone.

petunia
Mar 8th, 2008, 09:02 AM
aw roxy,
im sorry you had to go through that... :(

i also have an eating disorder, and have for most of my life.
it can be so difficult...

good for you for not letting yourself purge... that takes a great deal of strength. :)

a couple of summers ago, i also was religously following a raw diet... and at that time, my eating disorder was at its all time worst. (im not saying that a raw diet causes eating disorders, but for me, it made things slightly out of control in my head...)

anyway, im not trying to tell you what to do or anything, but have you heard of john matsen? the author of eating alive and eating alive 2?

he is a naturopath who lives and works in vancouver, and his books are, in my opinion, brilliant.

he is essentially against a raw diet for vancouverites. his main theory is that people should eat according to the climate they live in. and obviously, here in vancouver, we need warming foods like soup, stew and oatmeal. (its all to do with your sodium/potassium balance)

he points out that while a raw diet may be a great idea in california and other such places, in cold rainy vancouver, it can actually hinder great health.
obviously, he delves into a much more of a scientific point of view than i am mentioning, but you get the idea.

anyway, ive been thinking of making an appointment with him. its only $15.
ill let ya know how it goes if i do.

again, im sorry about your shitty evening... dont be too hard on yourself.
i hope it helps to know that there are so many others out there who are experiencing similar problems.....

message me anytime if you want to talk, or rant! :)

xo.
~k

petunia
Mar 8th, 2008, 09:05 AM
oops, i lied. the appointment is actually $46.
... quite a bit more, but still, probably worth it.

cedarblue
Mar 8th, 2008, 10:03 AM
interesting info in your post petunia, thanks.

cobweb
Mar 8th, 2008, 01:28 PM
ok, i did not want to say this before in case it sounded just too negative, etc, but I have tried going raw a couple of times and ended up feeling that (for me) it was just another 'symptom' or trigger (not entirely sure which?) of my disordered eating.

In the past i have managed to go 100% raw for short periods, and my eyes were shining and my sking glowing, etc...............then suddenly i turn into Monster Woman and eat all the chocolate i can get my hands on in one sitting, then go back to cooked food.

I really do love the idea of raw food - natural, less polluting for the environment, higher vitamin content, etc etc, but *for me* i think it's just another way of way of being controlling about what i eat, which ultimately backfires.

I am still in awe of raw fooders who choose to go raw for health and ethical reasons.

Good Luck with whatever you choose, Roxy.

Roxy
Mar 8th, 2008, 04:22 PM
Thanks for your support Petunia and Cobweb :)

Petunia, I've never heard of that guy. I'll google him when I get home tonight and have a read about him. Thanks for the info. :)

Haniska
Mar 8th, 2008, 06:42 PM
Me too cobweb, thanks for being honest about that. It makes me feel less embarrassed, and less likely to go on a restricted diet I think.

I've been wondering lately if the ill effects I get from eating too much fat are indigestion. I've always called it indigestion, that is my clever way of saying constipation- but I had always thought indigestion simply means heart burn. I was looking up some other symptoms though, and tightness in the throat, lead weight in the stomach, and burping are also big signs. Eating too much fat was the main cause, I guess you can't digest when you have an oil slick in your stomach? I had been off onions for a long time and had them the other day at a restaurant (beggars can't be chosers). I had horrible sharp pains in my chest, I really don't think it was psychosomatic. Cuz I was altogether calm about it and figured it for heart burn. I also have had sharp pains in my back from eating raw onions. Weird shit but it would be the opposite side of where I have heart burn.

cobweb
Mar 8th, 2008, 07:03 PM
that's ok, Haniska, i never wanted to say because people might think i was 'anti' raw food eating.

I get a horrible choking sensation and burning in my throat from eating too much fat, also raw garlic and onion - took me a while to figure out that it's acid reflux!.

Haniska
Mar 9th, 2008, 07:14 PM
Wow, my brother has terrible heart burn/acid reflux and it never crossed my mind because I had no symptoms of pain in my chest! I don't know that he did either:p I just totally assumed. All this time I had been trying to speed up my digestion :rolleyes:

oMG All this time I had been trying to figure out the correlation to chest pain after eating *sexy* (fattening) vegan foods and the chest pain that had me avoiding pork before.

Citrus fruits, fruit skins, cooked cabbage, tomatoes, onions, cucumbers, beans and pulses, nuts, bread, pork, spices, wine, neat spirits, fizzy drinks, and rich fatty foods are all quite difficult to digest and cause flatulence unless eaten in small quantities; tea, coffee, and refined carbohydrates also interfere with stomach function.
http://www.drlockie.com/disease/indiges.htm

veggiemaya
Mar 9th, 2008, 07:54 PM
ok, in reference to triggering eating disorders...i dont know that i can say i have or have had one. but i do know that i tend to become obsessive about food. sometimes it seems that the more i try to be strict in my way of eating (whichever way that may be) i will later feel like i am spiraling out of control. lately, i have been feeling like i constantly want to eat. and even though i am eating healthy things..too much of anything is not good. i know that i will start to put on some weight..if i haven't already, and the idea of putting on weight freaks me out. this has caused me to want to exercise more..so now i will do an hour 1/2- 2 hours at the gym..almost every day. most times i feel like i need a distraction so i will not want to eat. i am not an overweight person right now..but i was for my entire young life...and i dont ever want to be that way again. it consumes me, ironically. food seems to be "consuming" me. :confused:

cedarblue
Mar 9th, 2008, 08:05 PM
[SIZE=3]..so now i will do an hour 1/2- 2 hours at the gym..almost every day.

imo that is too much - the purpose of having rest days inbetween is to rest the muscles and make them more effective. i don't think exercising like that everyday is necessarily helpful.

try to pace yourself and have some rest inbetween.