PDA

View Full Version : Cauldren marinated tofu - why did they do that ?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

mchelle81
Mar 29th, 2010, 06:02 PM
so i love love love cauldren marinated tofu, they have changed the packaging and a "new improved recipe" OMG its DISGUSTING the texture is nasty they taste vile they are smaller its terrible upset i loved that stuff anyone else like the new stuff

Marrers
Mar 29th, 2010, 06:34 PM
:umm: Oh dear, I haven't seen or tried the new stuff but I liked it so much I'd eat it out of the packet before.

harpy
Mar 29th, 2010, 06:47 PM
Me too. I suppose if everyone hates it they will go back to the old version. Either that or we may get used to the new one (which I haven't tried either) - or don't you think that's possible, mchelle? :)

mchelle81
Mar 29th, 2010, 07:08 PM
no way trust me i loved the old stuff ate it out packet all time this stuff is tiny brown squares and is totally nasty the texture is wierd to really soft horrible

harpy
Mar 30th, 2010, 12:52 AM
:eek: That good eh? I might have to go on a quest for some to try; perhaps I can combine it with my hot cross bun quest.

mchelle81
Mar 30th, 2010, 07:22 AM
they have changed the packaging on everything not sure if everything else has changed cause they not vegan are they other than the other tofu stuff that can scramble ? got some of that but cant see that being able to change fingers crossed

harpy
Mar 30th, 2010, 07:27 AM
I had a quick look on their website and they didn't seem to be owning up to any of this although there was a new product mentioned (salad topper or something like that?).

I wouldn't have thought they could change the plain tofu much (or the smoked, think I've got some of that).

mchelle81
Mar 30th, 2010, 08:27 AM
i just looked at the plain tofu i have in fridge you know it was in a brown cardboard box, then inside plastic well this new one is in a plastic box with "improved recipe" hmmmm we will see dont know if its just the box its in but it seems bigger aswell

cedarblue
Mar 30th, 2010, 01:47 PM
blame the taste testers!!

i occasionally get send samples of cauldron foods to taste test, cook test, smell test, texture test etc. i have only ever been send the felafal and commented on that but i suppose the same this is done for the tofu.

you could always contact cauldron, tell them your concerns about the new tofu and ask to be put on their list of testers for the future??

mchelle81
Mar 30th, 2010, 04:04 PM
OMG i dont know who taste tested that then and said it was nice yuck

mchelle81
Apr 1st, 2010, 01:56 PM
ooohh i went to asda today and they still had the old stuff yahoo got 2 packets so happy for today at least

pavotrouge
Apr 1st, 2010, 08:23 PM
oh no! shops around me still have the old stock... I am shocked! But then, if the tofu pieces turn out to be nasty now, I shall be saving quite some money.

mchelle81
Apr 1st, 2010, 08:45 PM
i know me too i ate that stuff nearly everyday, it seems wierd not having it i cant believe how much different they are, i cant wait for someone else to try it tell me what they think

Marrers
Apr 3rd, 2010, 05:43 PM
I agree the new recipe is horrible in flavour and texture. No longer edible out of the packet - what a shame.

It tastes a bit meaty to me and is now on a par with the tofu pieces made by other companies, none of which I like. :(

Est
Apr 3rd, 2010, 06:17 PM
Interesting. The last lot I ate tasted rubbish - really awful. But I was cooking quickly and didn't notice the packaging. Now I'm wondering if it was from this new stock. I certainly won't be buying it again if that's the case. It really was yucky and made my stir fry smell horrible!

Marrers
Apr 3rd, 2010, 06:22 PM
The pieces are much smaller too, I'm sure you would have noticed the change.

I ate a few from the pack (I was desperate for some on the go food as I was stuck away from home for a couple of days) but as desperate as I was I couldn't eat many as they were horrid. I used the remainder for cooking and even that didn't really make them palatable. I'm not buying them again.

What with this and the Pure cream cheese I do wonder who they have doing the taste tests . . .

Est
Apr 3rd, 2010, 07:01 PM
Yes - the same width but not so long? If so, it looks like they were the new ones. Gross! It infuriates me when a really nice food item gets changed for no good reason that I can tell, and made worse in the process. (Alpro Soya Original etc.)

mchelle81
Apr 3rd, 2010, 07:12 PM
i just went on their website to have look it got old stuff still on and a mention of some stuff called tofu salad toppers anyone seen them in shops i havnt

harpy
Apr 3rd, 2010, 08:12 PM
I just bought a packet of the marinated chunks in Wholefoods - not sure what kind I've got, the packaging looks the same as before, does that mean I've got the old kind?

If it were the new, we thought they might have put something on the outside, like "Buy this and you'll really appreciate the old recipe when we bring it back in a couple of months time" :D

mchelle81
Apr 3rd, 2010, 08:17 PM
the old style is light brownish the new one is dark brown with "new improved" god just thinking about it is bringing back the taste yuck

harpy
Apr 8th, 2010, 04:34 PM
The plot thickens. The stuff I got from Wholefoods seemed to be old style, and I have just bought some more from Waitrose that also seems to be old style.

Do they still do it in organic and "inorganic" versions? Am just wondering if they have done something like reformulate the ordinary one but not the organic. Or maybe it's regional :confused:

leedsveg
Apr 8th, 2010, 05:39 PM
What with this and the Pure cream cheese I do wonder who they have doing the taste tests . . .

Ditto Sosmix.:eek:

lv

mchelle81
Apr 8th, 2010, 06:11 PM
harpy maybe they have re done it i went in asda and it was still the old version maybe they are phazing them out or something

Blue moon
Apr 8th, 2010, 07:36 PM
I think it's a transition. My local Sainsbury's had both for a few days, now only the new one.

I'm not sure as I don't usually take note of prices, but have they used the opportunity to add about 50p to the price? Or is it just my local store?

Agreed on the new taste. They look gross, and they are gross.

harpy
Apr 8th, 2010, 08:15 PM
Is the gross stuff also labelled "organic"?