Filling:
250ml plain yoghurt
100ml vegetable oil (I used canola)
3 large garlic cloves, minced
teaspoon dried parsley
teaspoon chopped chives
pinch of salt

Outer:
Sosmix made up with cold water (I used 2 packs Asda Lincolnshire style).
2 slices of bread made into breadcrumbs
tablespoon plain flour
soya milk

Method:
Mix all the filling ingredients together thoroughly. The oil should combine well with the yoghurt. Spoon into an ice cube tray and freeze overnight.

Mix the plain flour with enough soy milk to make a thin cream.
Take each piece of frozen filling and wrap in sosmix, being sure it's all evenly covered. Dip each kiev in the flour paste and then roll in the breadcrumbs.

Deep fry at 180c until golden and cooked through - depends on size.

The filling in mine wasn't as hot as I would like, so I think it might be an idea to place in the fridge for a few hours after wrapping in sosmix, to allow the filling to thaw out a bit, rather than cooking longer. I made 7 kievs the size of scotch eggs, and I had quite a bit of filling left over.

Risker
Apr 4th, 2010, 08:40 PM
Sounds great, will give it a go.

Burntfruit
Apr 4th, 2010, 09:27 PM
I am not so keen on Sosmix. Makes me feel a little sick. Sorry :(

leedsveg
Apr 4th, 2010, 11:13 PM
Thought Sosmix had become extinct?

lv:question:

Tigerlily
Apr 4th, 2010, 11:47 PM
What's Sosmix?

:o :(

Ruby Rose
Apr 5th, 2010, 08:45 AM
It's a dry packet mix for veggie sausages. Mostly tvp, breadcrumbs and salt, as far as I can taste (I think the way it tastes could more accurately be described as old soxmix...). But in the old days (ie 20 years ago) it was pretty much the only veg*n ready meal available... so people of a certain age have a love/hate relationship with Sosmix.

Pob
Apr 5th, 2010, 11:35 AM
I was just using the term to describe any generic dry veggie sausage mix.
The better ones are pretty close to that cheap frozen sausage meat stuffing.

If you ever liked mini kievs, or cheap chicken kievs (the type made with reconstituted meat) then you should like these.

Ruby Rose
Apr 5th, 2010, 12:10 PM
Hmmm - I wonder if it would work with frozen veggie mince just with something to bind it together? Ingenious freezing technique, btw, Pob.

yo-yo
Apr 5th, 2010, 02:07 PM
Thanks so much for this recipe, used to love veggie kievs.. And haven't eaten a kiev since being vegan.

Will be trying this out soon!

x x x