PDA

View Full Version : Cooking Disasters!

Vivien
Apr 11th, 2010, 06:44 PM
Hi guys, so... ever had great intentions for a meal that didnt quite work out the way you had planned?
I'm always trying things 'just to see what happens' which invariably come out badly... its always fun though!

eg- celery and strawberry smoothy. the illiteration makes it sound like it would be really nice. its not.

much love, Vivien x

MoonDance
Apr 12th, 2010, 04:13 AM
Celery and strawberry smoothie? :amazed_ani: Interesting. :p

Hmm, I haven't had many 'disasters.' When I first started cooking gluten free for my mum and sister, things didn't turn out quite like I had hoped, though I'm not sure if that really counts as a disaster. :hmm:

I experiment with spices or other flavourings, and often I put too much in, but it still tastes nice! :o

Staffy
Apr 12th, 2010, 04:31 AM
Every time i touch tofu it ends up a disaster!! I'll keep trying though, i'll get there in the end as there's a veritable bottomless pit of recipes out on the net.

MoonDance
Apr 12th, 2010, 05:00 AM
What happens to your tofu Staffy? :)

Staffy
Apr 12th, 2010, 06:40 AM
Well i've generally just used firm or silken firm mainly in curries. Last time it was with silken firm. I just can't seem to get it to take up flavour. I haven't really used much of it so far. I'm making lots of other great stuff like soups and taboulli and using vegan sausages which are fortified with good stuff from time to time and had just decided to kinda come back to tofu in the future once i get some regular favourites up and running.

MoonDance
Apr 13th, 2010, 07:07 AM
Hmm, I haven't used tofu in curries and soups yet. Certain family members don't appreciate its greatness. :pissed::p
I have heard that freezing it, then thawing it can help it to absorb more flavours, and frying it before you put it in the soup or curry can also help.
Usually when I have tofu, I marinate it for a bit and then bake it. I put it in stir-fries too, and it seems to absorb all the stuff. :hmm: I don't mind the flavour of tofu in general actually. If I have some semi-fried stuff, then I eat that straight from the fridge. :o

patientia
Apr 13th, 2010, 09:19 AM
Carbonised potatoes last night :(

Vivien
Apr 13th, 2010, 10:01 AM
overheating olive oil and burnt brunch! on the plus side- yummy porridge and soya milk :) x

Blueberries
Apr 13th, 2010, 10:35 PM
I tried making a cheese-esque sauce with nutritional yeast and sweet potatoes before and it tasted absolutely foul. Blame the internet for giving me bad recipes! I also tried to make kale chips before and the result was that the house smelt like burnt kale for the rest of the day :undecided:

Leirou
Apr 14th, 2010, 10:04 AM
I've already had one or two proper disasters. While preparing it, I was thinking 'as simple as that, it MUST be good !'
I think about my chickpeas with tomato... Only chickpeas with tomato... and some herbs and salt and other spicies and stuff, it was simply terrible.
I also tried grapefruit pasta : as I make my pasta myself, I decided to melt the flour with grapefruit juice, so that i'd get flavoured pasta. Pasta were nice. Then i prepared a grapefruit sauce, wich was pretty tasty and nice too, but it did absolutely not go well with the wheat taste... The both eaten together can be called a disaster, too ! ^^

patientia
Apr 14th, 2010, 10:09 AM
Never mix pickled beets with fresh tomatoes.

cedarblue
Apr 14th, 2010, 02:37 PM
I also tried grapefruit pasta

oh my goodness me :eek: - sorry leirou, that sounds awful!! :D

Leirou
Apr 14th, 2010, 02:49 PM
:D:D:D

Don't be sorry !!
It really tastes good, actually the grapefruit doesn't taste that much. I do love citrus fruit, and one day I tasted such pasta wich were marvellous. I wanted to try, and the pasta themselves were nice, the sauce too, but grapefruit + whole wheat is definitely horrible :rollseyes_ani:

Staffy
Apr 16th, 2010, 07:51 AM
I made a roast tonight but kinda got carried away. I didn't use enough oil and put all the wrong veges in at once so the carrots, swedes and some of the potato were undercooked, the capsicum was perfect, broccoli over cooked and other stuff in between. One thing i did do right though was the mushroom gravy, that was heaven and i found out that a bit of hot seeded mustard and some rosemary adds a nice flavour to the veges.

Hemlock
Apr 16th, 2010, 07:31 PM
Hmmmm, burning tends to be the main problem - I wander off when cooking and forget the time. I have destroyed Le Creuset pans before now.

Staffy
Apr 17th, 2010, 01:13 AM
Quite a simple one. I don't have a kettle at the moment so i boil water for a cup o' tea in a saucepan. Started it off last night and left it. Musta been 2 hours later when i found it. I burnt water!