PDA

View Full Version : I need a stupid proof recipe for tofu

King
Apr 13th, 2010, 05:04 AM
Ok so I tried to make Spicy Tofu Bites but appartently that is even out of my range as a cook or baker...I need something with about 4 easy steps that will feed an army =) doubt it exists but it would be nice.

Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you VFers

harpy
Apr 13th, 2010, 09:47 AM
Marinating it and then baking it is probably the easiest way to handle tofu as it doesn't fall apart that way. But even so it's good to start with the firmest tofu you can find.

Maybe you could give some more details of what you'd like to do and then people will more easily be able to make suggestions. When you say "feed an army" do you mean just on tofu or do you want a recipe involving tofu and other stuff such as vegetables and/or noodles to make the tofu go further?

Don't despair :D

patientia
Apr 13th, 2010, 10:59 AM
I think tofu crumble is mistake-proof. That how I've cooked it for the first 2 years of my veganism.

EDIT: I ment tofu scramble.

Gwydion
Apr 13th, 2010, 03:10 PM
Scramble!! Crumble it in (preferably frozen then defrosted) to a pan with a bit of this and a bit of that - whatever you've got to hand/leftover, plus relevant spices. Can't go wrong :)

RubyDuby
Apr 13th, 2010, 06:32 PM
1.) Preheat oven to broil
2.) open package of firm tofu
3.) rinse tofu
4.) gently squeeze tofu in paper towel
5.) cut tofu in half horizontally, then into thirds vertically, like a tic-tac-toe board.
6.) pour 1/4 c soy sauce and a 1 Tbs sesame oil into an air-tight container.
7.) place whole block of cut tofu into soy sauce container, close lid tightly, turn container over and gently shake. Turn container back to right-side-up. Remove lid.
8.) spray oil on a foil covered (or non-stick) cookie sheet.
9.) Lay out tofu side-by-side on foil, leaving 1/2 inch between each piece.
10.) Broil 20 minutes. Flip tofu. Broil 10 min.
11.) Put a spoonfull of your favorite BBQ sauce on each tofu piece. Broil 10 more minutes, or less if it starts to burn.

ok, so it's more than 5 steps, but I didn't want to oversimplify. ;)

I made 3 blocks like this and served it to 4 people (who had several servings) with mac salad, hummus, pita squares, and fresh cut peppers, carrots and celery. We even had leftovers.

King
Apr 13th, 2010, 10:48 PM
When you say "feed an army" do you mean just on tofu or do you want a recipe involving tofu and other stuff such as vegetables and/or noodles to make the tofu go further?

Don't despair :D

Well, I guess I mean biggest Bang for my Buck. I want a simple and cheap (although it shouldnt taste cheap :p) meal to feed a family of about 4. :)

Thank you for the recipe ruby ill have to give it a shot one of these nights.:thumbsup:

harpy
Apr 13th, 2010, 11:22 PM
Well, I often make a stirfry with tofu and whatever vegetables are in season/handy - that is cheap and makes the tofu go a long way, especially if you add noodles or other pasta at the end. I must admit I usually cheat and buy tofu that is already marinated/flavoured so I just have to heat it through with the other stuff at the end :o

That is fairly fool-proof but possibly not the cheapest way of doing. It would probably be cheaper to buy plain tofu and marinate it yourself, and then you might need to bake or fry it a bit before adding to the finished dish.

emmapresley
Apr 17th, 2010, 08:52 PM
gwydions correct..scrambling is the way to go.. you can pad it out with a ton of extra ingredients..vegan with a vengeance recipe -

1 tblespoon olive oil
1 medium sized onion
5oz mushrooms
3 cloves garlic
1lb extra firm tofu
4 tblespoons nutritional yeast
1/2 lemon juiced
1 grated carrot

sp[ice belnd - haha bellend..oops sorry
2 tsps ground cumin
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp salt

cook up your chopped up onion for 5 mins..low heat...tehn add chopped mushrooms..5 mins..add your garlic crushed up..5 mins..all on a low heat

add your spicey blend..stir it up and crumble in squeezed up tofu..doesn;t matter if it looks messy..cook it up on slow for 15minsish..add the nut yeast..add the lemon juice..it's ready.

when i make it i use a 250 g cauldron pack..a full lemon juiced and more nutritional yeast..muck about with the ingredients to your taste..but seriously it's sooo nice..and i suppose if you have to feed LOADS of people, you can bulk it out with extra carroty goodness/mushrooms etc etc

omnomnomn