PDA

View Full Version : Soy / soya milk favorites?

Pages : [1] 2 3

paradoxsund
Jan 21st, 2005, 02:04 AM
What is your preference? I really enjoy Silk's chocolate soymilk, but the original tastes odd. I am not a fan of Edensoy either. Is there anything wrong with 8th Continent? I liked their vanilla flavor.

Artichoke47
Jan 21st, 2005, 02:42 AM
Yes, it's not vegan. 8th Continent uses vitamin D3. It is the only non-vegan plant-based milk that I know of.

Miel Miette
Jan 21st, 2005, 02:47 AM
I keep hearing about Silk, I'd like to try it but they don't have it here. I like Aussie Soy, So Natural, and Vitasoy in that order. Sanitarium's So Good goes lumpy in tea. :(

cast_the_flames
Jan 21st, 2005, 03:43 AM
8th continent also has all sorts of addatives and stuff. even if they were vegan, i wouldn't call their soy milk the best. i'm a fan of silk. especially silk light, now that they have that. silk nog is so freaking good, too.

eve
Jan 21st, 2005, 05:38 AM
The three brands you mention, Miel Miette, are my favourites but in reverse order. I wouldn't drink So Good if you paid me - just reading the ingredients listing shows that it is a chemical cocktail. As to Silk, I don't believe it is here in Australia, but when I was in the US a few months ago, that's what I used, and it was great.

Miel Miette
Jan 21st, 2005, 06:08 AM
Vitasoy Lush Chocolate is the best of all! The rest still stands for my plain soy choices though.

paradoxsund
Jan 21st, 2005, 11:07 PM
hmm I think I'll need to have a taste-testing powwow! Pity about the 8th Continent...I read the label and must have missed the D3. Bah. Rice milk is bit too sweet I find. Maybe I'll try Westsoy. I have a container of So Nice...hopefully it's not the same as So Good! ;)

8 winks
Jan 22nd, 2005, 02:02 PM
WestSoy organic unsweetened - ing:filtered water and whole organic soybeans. it's very good and surprisingly less expensive than other brands. never tried the flavored ones..........

Tigerlily
Jan 22nd, 2005, 02:49 PM
I like Silk but I buy So Nice because it's cheaper per litre (odd though, the 2 litre carton is the same price...but I can't drink 2 litres of soy milk in a week).

Is it just me, or does soy milk go bad really quick? When you first open it, it's nice and smooth but by the end of the week, it develops a strong "thick" texture and overly sweet taste (sweet but not in a "good" sweet way).

gertvegan
Jan 22nd, 2005, 03:40 PM
If I buy soya milk its usually the Alpro (http://www.alprosoya.co.uk/) Sweetened + calcium + vitamins.

Aurora
Jan 22nd, 2005, 05:47 PM
I keep hearing about this Silk. I wish they sold it here in UK, but I usually buy Alpro Organic. That's what I make my yoghurt with too.

Kiva Dancer
Jan 22nd, 2005, 07:38 PM
Vitasoy Chocolate is my preference.

It has a more "chocolatey" taste than silk and I never notice it going lumpy on me.

I'm also a huge fan of Almond Breeze's chocolate flavour.

feline01
Jan 22nd, 2005, 11:19 PM
My favorite is the Silk Unsweetened. I used to find the soymilks way too sweet and was so happy when they came out with an unsweetened version. Soybeans have a natural sweetness anyway.

As for other non-dairy milks, ultimate favorite (thanks to Artichoke) is the Almond Breeze chocolate. It's scrumptious.

Roxy
Jan 23rd, 2005, 06:15 AM
I like Silk but I buy So Nice because it's cheaper per litre (odd though, the 2 litre carton is the same price...but I can't drink 2 litres of soy milk in a week).

Is it just me, or does soy milk go bad really quick? When you first open it, it's nice and smooth but by the end of the week, it develops a strong "thick" texture and overly sweet taste (sweet but not in a "good" sweet way).

It could just be your personal preference.

I hardly ever follow the "use within 5 days of opening" rule. I hope that's not dangerous :o

For me, that's another advantage of using non-dairy milk. It doesn't go off or sour like dairy does.

Mystic
Jan 23rd, 2005, 07:36 AM
If I use dairy replacements, I like rice dream enriched or Vitasoy rice milk.

Artichoke47
Jan 23rd, 2005, 12:49 PM
Maybe you need to shake it better?

Tigerlily
Jan 23rd, 2005, 06:23 PM
Are you talking to me? Yeah, maybe I will try to shake it better.

Wildflower
Jan 30th, 2005, 07:51 PM
If I buy soya milk its usually the Alpro (http://www.alprosoya.co.uk/) Sweetened + calcium + vitamins.

they sell that here in the US under the name Belsoy - Belsoy Chocolate is the best chocolate I have ever had - mmm...soooo yum!

Otherwise, I buy Silk, they sell it everywhere here and it is gooood.

Wildflower
Jan 30th, 2005, 07:52 PM
Are you talking to me? Yeah, maybe I will try to shake it better.

If you buy the aseptic cartons, they tend to get thicker when refridgerated. Shaking helps.

Mystic
Apr 12th, 2005, 11:24 AM
I just dicovered soy sun vanilla soy milk - I got it in a kosher supermarket today and my boyfriend and I made a yummy smoothie from it. It is the only soymilk that I like - you can't taste the soyishness :D I love kosher supermarkets - they sell the best vegan stuff :p

snaffler
Apr 12th, 2005, 12:05 PM
Sorry not a fan of the expensive brands its the taste I think, this is going to seem odd from ethical point but the only one I like is the ASDA Organic @ 65p a litre and if I cant get that I buy the tesco own brand at 65p.

But I do like the Alpro choc shake :)

coconut
Apr 27th, 2005, 08:01 PM
I've found it's the most expensive soymilk brands that taste the best. The Alpro stuff that you can buy chilled is absolutely delicious. When my dad does the shopping he always buys supermarket's own brand soymilk which I hate! I make porridge with it but I have to add two tablespoons of sugar for it to taste good. Tonight I'm going to try to make my own. I don't have a special gadget but hopefully I'll end up with something better than Sainsbury's Soya UHT :p

tipsy
Jul 18th, 2005, 01:55 AM
its wierd, maybe cause i grew up on edensoy, but everyone says they like silk, and its really gross to me!!! :eek:

i dont get that...its got the same things in it. :confused:
i think edensoy is a little thicker though.

i do agree that soybeans are already sweet, and soymilks do not need sweeteners. some people i know say they only drink vanilla soymilk!!! ick! :eek:

tipsy
Jul 18th, 2005, 01:58 AM
I hardly ever follow the "use within 5 days of opening" rule. I hope that's not dangerous :o

nope, youll just get soy yougurt!

(but dont eat it if its green or fuzzy!) ;)

LittleNellColumbia
Jul 18th, 2005, 03:34 AM
Hello everyone! yes i have to say i hate sogood..........it just tastes off! lol
I really like somilky lite from the vitasoy range, its good for celiacs if your reading this foxy, because it is formulated especially without wheat/gluten etc. Im not sure if it is available in Canada though?