PDA

View Full Version : what could be possibly wrong with flaxseeds oil?

rxseeeyse
May 18th, 2010, 08:06 AM
I was reading a book about macrobiotic...just because the library put veggie books and macrobiotics together so I thought it might be interesting. But the book really angers me talking nonsense like yes, eat fish! eat diary! good for you. blah.
anyhow, it was saying that be"cautious" about flaxseeds oil because it is a relatively new thing, and then nonsense like we should eat oily fish to be safe? (how honestly with all the toxins in fish!)

yea, anyways, so I'm just wondering if flaxseeds oil can be harmful in any way?? or flaxseeds in general? Because flaxseeds is a good egg replacer and i like it :)

harpy
May 18th, 2010, 10:05 AM
"Safe" in what sense, did they mean the omega oils in flaxseed aren't properly absorbed or something like that?

Here's the official US government line on flaxseed

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/patient-flaxseed.html

The US government isn't peddling healthfood so I find it quite reassuring that they didn't find much to worry about :D

patientia
May 18th, 2010, 10:12 AM
To answer the question in the title: taste.

Mollfie
May 18th, 2010, 03:11 PM
Not all macrobiotic books, dieticians etc say those things. Many actually encourage you to be vegan and macrobiotic, or to atleast give up all meat.

Flaxseed oil does taste vile lol, I have a bottle somewhere and I keep meaning to mix it into my cereal or something. The taste makes me gag.

Barry
May 18th, 2010, 07:23 PM
To answer the question in the title: taste.

:lol:

Agreed, I take it in capsule form cause I hate the taste so much.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with it though, it's not harmful in any way rxseeeyse.

rxseeeyse
May 20th, 2010, 08:23 PM
thanks for the site, it helps :)
yea, i should read more macrobiotics books, esp those ones that are vegan!
thanks a lot guys :) but I think I will still try flaxseed oil in the future just to see how bad this taste is lol.

BonnieParker
May 21st, 2010, 02:28 AM
just so you know.. make sure you're getting your flaxseed caps from a reputable source.. a company that delivers their products with ice packs... and a store that makes sure to refrigerate their products as soon as they are delivered to the store. flax seeds are highly perishable, especially once made into oil or once they're ground up. you can tell by cutting open a flax capsule and tasting the oil inside. if it is very, very bitter, it is most likely rancid and you should return it to the store!

i've had this happen to me!

:)

HotSquirrel
Jul 19th, 2010, 05:44 PM
I must be weird as I don't mind the taste of flaxseed oil at all and just use it instead of olive oil (unheated of course)...

jimmeh
Jul 19th, 2010, 06:10 PM
Hmm...there has been some discussion about flax seeds and easy bruising recently in a few well-respected vegan nutrition blogs. http://jacknorrisrd.com/?p=1084

smallhelen
Jul 19th, 2010, 06:15 PM
I use flaxseed to keep my skin under control, and usually throw a spoon of the ground seeds on my cereal in the morning. If I don't have cereal, I have to take the actual oil instead, which I find deeply unpleasant. Yuck! The ground seeds are much nicer, and make my cornflakes specially crunchy!

DavidT
Jul 22nd, 2010, 09:30 PM
If you bake your own bread, throw in a couple of tablespoons of ground flaxfeed with the mix. The bread gets a 'nutty' taste, the omega-3 is fine and some of the baddies in the seeds are neutralised, especially with long proving times.

Also, if you don't like the taste of the oil, you can put it in a smoothie and you'll never notice!

harpy
Jul 23rd, 2010, 08:19 AM
That's interesting, I hadn't realised the oils survived baking, but it's official: http://www.flaxcouncil.ca/english/pdf/stor.pdf I'll bung some in my bread machine in that case.