PDA

View Full Version : Vegan Biscuits and Gravy for Lovers

Michelle
Jan 21st, 2005, 02:19 AM
Vegan Biscuits and Gravy for Lovers #14534
by Zeke Koch

When it's raining outside and you're hankering for some soul food whip up some vegan biscuits and gravy for your loved one(s) and spend the rest of the morning working them off in bed! — Nov 19, 2001

Biscuits
1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3 tablespoons margarine
1/2 cup soy milk
1 1/2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar

Gravy
1 1/2 cups mushroom broth
3 tablespoons flour
salt (to taste)
pepper (to taste)
1 sprig fresh thyme (optional)
1 tablespoon margarine

4 servings 30 minutes 10 mins prep

1. Preheat oven to 450.
2. Mix together dry ingredients in a large bowl.
3. Mix together liquid ingredients into a small bowl.
4. Cut margarine into pea sized pieces (in the flour).
5. Don't cut too small.
6. Add liquid ingredients and mix with a fork until it just starts to come together.
7. Push into a ball, knead just once or twice and roll out to 1/2 thick slab.
8. Cut into circles or squares, place on cookie sheet and bake at 450 for 10-15 minutes.
9. Now, on to the gravy.
10. Mix together 3/4 cup liquid, flour, salt, pepper and thyme (if you're using it) into a bottle and shake vigorously.
11. Heat margarine in pan and whisk in flour/stock mix.
12. Once it's incorportated add the rest of the liquid and stir over a low heat until it's set.
13. Pour over the piping hot biscuits and watch for the smiles.

Michelle
Jan 21st, 2005, 02:21 AM
I don't know about the whole "lovers" thing...but here's a recipe I found. To be honest, I usually cheat and use BisQuik and soy milk.

John
Jan 21st, 2005, 02:21 AM
I made vegan biscuits the other day. They were purdy durned good too.
I used Dr Oetker brand mix and Earth Balance "butter." Outside the US biscuits are crackers, right?

Miel Miette
Jan 21st, 2005, 02:41 AM
I have all the ingredients for that! Guess what I'll be trying for dinner. :D (No cheating for me, no bisquick!)

Miel Miette
Jan 24th, 2005, 10:34 AM
Well, I tried the recipe out. Very bizarre, but tasty. I made my own, extra yummy version of the gravy. Those are scones, not biscuits! You eat them with jam!

Artichoke47
Jan 24th, 2005, 12:36 PM
I wonder if there's a difference in how they are described in the US versus Australia. I never liked biscuits with plain white gravy, but I used to like sausage gravy. Nowadays, I wouldn't eat the Gimme Lean (or whatever else) vegetarian sausage, as it tastes too much like the dead animal product. So no biscuits and gravy for me. Biscuits and fruit spread sounds good! :)

cedarblue
Jan 24th, 2005, 04:53 PM
I made vegan biscuits the other day. They were purdy durned good too.
I used Dr Oetker brand mix and Earth Balance "butter." Outside the US biscuits are crackers, right?

in the uk, biscuits are your cookies.

uk crackers could be US biscuits??? savoury biscuit most people eat with cheese, spread pate on, hummous etc :confused:

cedarblue
Jan 24th, 2005, 04:55 PM
I don't know about the whole "lovers" thing...but here's a recipe I found. To be honest, I usually cheat and use BisQuik and soy milk.

are these biscuits hard & crunchy? not soft like bisquix pancakes?
what measurements for mix and soy milk do you use? id like to give them a go!

feline01
Jan 24th, 2005, 07:01 PM
Bisquick biscuits are very similar to scones. UK crackers = US crackers, they're the same. Though down south in the US, a cracker is something totally different (not food-related).

Miel Miette
Jan 25th, 2005, 01:55 AM
The recipe above makes UK/Australian scones, cedarblue. Just don't roll them out, plop them onto the baking tray and you have scones.

Wildflower
Jan 30th, 2005, 11:40 PM
Though down south in the US, a cracker is something totally different (not food-related).

bahhaaahaaa!

that's awful...funny. :p