PDA

View Full Version : Redwood Cheese

Pages : [1] 2

VeganVicky
Jun 5th, 2010, 07:50 PM
I just thought I would by some vegan cheese but it doesn't taste of much , can anyone give me any ideas of how to make it a bit more tasty in like sandwiches or snacks? (Cheese on toast):satisfied:

emmapresley
Jun 6th, 2010, 06:18 PM
grate it up and bung it in some scrambled tofu ;)

coleslaw..gratey veg..mayo and some cheezly

pizza

a toastie machine is your friend. bread-cheezly-assorted other foody stuff-toast it up. pickle is good.
some of the stuff melts easier..maybe just pretend its cheese and use it in the same way.

harpy
Jun 6th, 2010, 06:28 PM
Yes I think you have to mix it with other stuff that adds flavour - mustard, salad and so on. If you don't have the melty kind you could slice it thinly or grate it so that it mixes better with the other stuff in your sandwich. For cheese on toast you probably do need the melty kind.

One thing I sometimes do is slice an avocado, put that on bread that has been toasted on its underside (if you see what I mean!), add some grated or sliced Cheezly (the melty kind but the other might be OK) and a sprinkle of chilli sauce, then toast lightly and serve with watercress - yum.

sandra
Jun 6th, 2010, 09:51 PM
I like cheezly in baked potatoes. Scoop the inside out of a baked potato and mix with some vegan 'butter', finely chopped onion and grated cheezly. Add some salt and black pepper and return this mixture to the potato skin. Place back in the oven to heat up for another 10 minutes..............it's gorgeous! :)

vegcurry
Jun 6th, 2010, 10:05 PM
bung it in some tasty bread with brannie pickle and finely sliced raw onion for a nom nomishness delight that will clear space around you in a crowded office. :)

CurrantCottage
Jun 7th, 2010, 07:58 AM
Funny enough I used to loathe it and thought it tasted foul but now its been so long since I tasted cheese I actually think its very cheesy and I use it all the time in pitta breads, on pizza, grated over beans etc

pusskins
Jun 7th, 2010, 11:34 AM
I like cheezly in baked potatoes. Scoop the inside out of a baked potato and mix with some vegan 'butter', finely chopped onion and grated cheezly. Add some salt and black pepper and return this mixture to the potato skin. Place back in the oven to heat up for another 10 minutes..............it's gorgeous! :)

*drool* Right! That's dinner sorted for tonight! :D

sandra
Jun 7th, 2010, 12:58 PM
^ :D
Hope you like it as much as we do Pusskins. :)

It's particularly nice, served with a crisp salad and plenty of red onion! :D :thumbsup:

VeganVicky
Jun 7th, 2010, 06:49 PM
Just used my cheese on top of my Mediterranean Pie and it was yummy... alot better than on its own.

pusskins
Jun 7th, 2010, 08:56 PM
Am now just waiting on my filled potatoes...:D

sandra
Jun 7th, 2010, 09:00 PM
I hope they live up to expectations Pusskins, after all the hype I've been giving them! :undecided: :D

pusskins
Jun 7th, 2010, 10:19 PM
LUSH! Used some Edam-style Cheezly, which I wholeheartedly recommend for good melting... :p <-licking lips smiley

Thank you, sandra :thumbsup:

sandra
Jun 8th, 2010, 02:32 PM
Yay! :D :heart: xxx

VeganVicky
Jun 8th, 2010, 07:17 PM
I also used it on my pizza tonight ;)

emmapresley
Jun 8th, 2010, 11:56 PM
i was thinking about this earlier..the cheese/tofu thing. it's probably that your tastebuds change/will change from the meat and dairy to no meat and dairy times. first time i had cheezly we all stood around and mercilessly took the piss out of it, i thought, in the same way as when i first tasted euthymol toothpaste and thought my friend had replaced it with germolene for a joke, that the cheezly people had put solidified emulsion paint in a packet..and now we scoff lots and feel it tastes very 'cheesy'. tastebuds change :)

sandra
Jun 9th, 2010, 08:47 AM
^ I agree, we made fun of the cheezly the first time we tried it too but now we love it! :)
It really is just a matter of getting used to different textures and tastes.

harpy
Jun 9th, 2010, 11:18 AM
I'm used to it but I still think it's improved by being mixed with other things. I wouldn't be very likely to sit down and eat a chunk of it on its own (unless desperate :o ) ETA - still, vegan cheese is a recent invention, I'm sure it will improve over time, or else future vegans may decide they don't need it.

veggienad
Jun 25th, 2010, 05:42 PM
Just bought some yesterday for the first time! (Holland & Barrett is my new favourite shop :) ) Had the edam-style cheezly in a warm wholemeal pita topped with thinly sliced red onions and a touch of hummus, de-lish!

mecocat
Nov 9th, 2010, 12:19 PM
ooh i just can't get used to cheezly - i keep on trying though in hope that one day it might just taste good. My problem is that when i was veggie i just loved cheese - it was my fav and i had to restrict myself on how much i ate. I think i'm trying to find a texture and taste that will replace good ol mature chedder cheese and so far the closest i've got is Bute Island which is delic on toast with beans!

Johnstuff
Nov 9th, 2010, 01:33 PM
I love the Redwood's cheeze (not sure what it's actually called), it's one of my 'can't get enough' foods along with Fry's burgers. Infact one of my favorite things is a Fry's burger topped with the melting Redwwods Cheeze and ketchup :)

Barry
Nov 14th, 2010, 04:16 PM
I love the Redwood's cheeze (not sure what it's actually called), it's one of my 'can't get enough' foods along with Fry's burgers. Infact one of my favorite things is a Fry's burger topped with the melting Redwwods Cheeze and ketchup :)

Oh hell yes! That is one of my favourite things in the world as well. I could easily eat three or four in one go...

sandra
Nov 14th, 2010, 04:47 PM
My son love those too.............he likes the burger with cheezly and raw or fried onion on top! :)

(He can eat 2 or 3 at a time aswell Barry..............I just wish he could make them for himself though instead of me always having to do it! :rolleyes: :cry:........:D)

Lynn
Nov 14th, 2010, 07:04 PM
I picked some Cheezly up in Holland + Barrett last weekend, and then put it back down again because I had no idea whether I'd like it or not. Will definately get some this weekend though :thumbsup:

Lady Mozdust
Jan 24th, 2011, 07:18 PM
I used the super melting mozzarella one last night, and it sort of didn't melt at all! o_O

khadagan
Jan 24th, 2011, 09:21 PM
Ah I miss cheezly! When I was still living in Oxford I got my Holland & Barrett to start stocking it and when I left they were selling 20+ a week (and not all to me! ;)). Anyway, here in Canada I've not found a good cheeze, there are some available but they're tasteless and not very good. I used to make my own from the Uncheese cookbook, sorry if I got the name wrong, I'll be going back to making my own.