PDA

View Full Version : Finally animal-cheese free!

Steph
Jan 27th, 2005, 04:12 AM
Yuck. I've not had animal cheese for only 3 months now, I always thought I could not go without it. I was vegetarian for 5 years (lacto-ovo), and always told people that cow cheese was my downfall, and it was, believe you me. But since I've not eaten it in a few months, it really makes me want to vomit, I grated some cheddar cow pus cheese for my boyfriend yesterday for him to eat on a salad (he is not veg*n), and the smell smelled like rotting stench, knowing where the source is from makes all the difference, disgusting! We did see on a very brief clip (I'm surprised they showed this on local tv news, only a few seconds, but enough to say, "what the f. is that??!) a few weeks ago, the apparatus they attach to the udders of cows, to "extract" what only should only belong to baby cows, it looked like a Frankenstinian (sp?) nightmare. I can't believe people are so oblivious to where their food comes from and don't give a shit.
I do think though that the few seconds my boyfriend saw on t.v. affected him, he was a HUGE cow milk drinker for the 5 years I've been with him, and I have not seen a container of cow milk in the frig for a couple of weeks now.
He even said he's trying to get away from the cow pus, he has arthritis and has been reading about the benefits of staying away from dairy to help with symptoms.
Whatever it takes...

tails4wagging
Jan 27th, 2005, 07:41 AM
I missed cheese for ages, don't now. I've tried non-dairy cheese, don't like it.
I have a non-cheese cook book that uses yeast flakes, not bad.

Gorilla
Jan 27th, 2005, 11:19 AM
i found the same thing Steph. i was lacto-ovo for ages and put off going vegan thinking i couldn't live without cow cheese, but when the time was right for me to give it up i found i actually didn't miss it at all. now it makes me feel sick too.

hope your boyfriend has more luck giving up dairy than my boyfriend. he hardly ever eats meat now but still drinks a fair bit of cow milk. :(

Kiva Dancer
Feb 1st, 2005, 07:08 PM
My guy got turned off to cow cheese when it made him burp his dinner up all night long (think: dry heave combined with belch - nasty). He decided that anything that made him feel like that should never be eaten again and wow, I totally agree. ;)

If your bf has arthritis (I'm sorry he suffers), then for sure the staying away from milk and cheese will help him. I have been milk-free for years, even before I went vego and I haven't had a flare in ages. Not even on cold days. I don't know if he still eats meat or not, but cutting out all meat, even fish also helped my symptoms go way down.

Best of luck to you both and congratulations on going milk-free. It's a really great thing you both have done for yourselves. :)

feline01
Feb 1st, 2005, 08:12 PM
Congratulations, I remember how hard it was giving up cheese. I used to eat it almost daily. Now it sickens me, like you said, the smell. Eww. I either use Vegan Gourmet cheeses which are really good or make my own vegan cheeses using the Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook. Very tasty and guilt-free!

Good luck with your boyfriend. I bet he will feel much better soon without all that cow pus/antibiotics/stolen calf milk in him.

Seaside
Aug 16th, 2005, 06:03 AM
This title made me laugh, because the term "animal-cheese" made me think immediately of the stuff that collects between peoples toes. Do you think animals get toe cheese? :p

I just walked by the gourmet cheese area at Whole Foods today, and the odor was overwhelmingly bad. And I used to love cheese too. My childhood nickname was the "mouse". :o

moochbabe
Aug 16th, 2005, 06:19 AM
I remember one time, like the last time I ate cheese I think, I had pizza with organic cheese, and still it made me so sick I was like practically bed-ridden for a day and a half. After that I decided no more. Especially when I found out about rennet and "enzymes" in cheese. YUCK! :eek:

Steph
Aug 16th, 2005, 06:32 AM
This title made me laugh, because the term "animal-cheese" made me think immediately of the stuff that collects between peoples toes. Do you think animals get toe cheese? :p

Seaside, my stomach hurts from laughing so hard from your post!! lol! :p
Years ago my family had a german shepard dog named Princess, and they always said her feet smelled like FRITOS!! Yes, that's right, the corn chips!!
So in answer to your ?, yes, I do suppose animals get "toe cheese" lol!!
ok, time for bed for me, overtired :D

urbandryad
Aug 17th, 2005, 07:18 PM
I have a non-cheese cook book that uses yeast flakes, not bad.

Is that the 'uncheese' cookbook? I need to add that to my Amazon wishlist, so maybe I'll get it for Christmas. Or maybe Chapters has it. It'll be nice to experiment with nutritional yeast, cause I'm still having trouble cutting cheese. I'm so used to just grabbing my usual snacks or going for pizza, now I have to plan everything a day in advance and put it in the freezer so I have something to take with me since I can't really eat out. :3

Kumem
Aug 17th, 2005, 07:39 PM
I actually think that Redwood's Cheezly is delicious. The mozarella and cheddar ones.
I used to love cheese on pizza and toast and thought I would miss it, but I didn't really.
I do have Cheezly though and I think it tastes better.
The Isle of Bute one is okay aswell, but it doesn't melt and if you think about the flavour too much it tastes funny after a while.

Seaside
Aug 17th, 2005, 07:51 PM
Seaside, my stomach hurts from laughing so hard from your post!! lol! :p
Years ago my family had a german shepard dog named Princess, and they always said her feet smelled like FRITOS!! Yes, that's right, the corn chips!!
So in answer to your ?, yes, I do suppose animals get "toe cheese" lol!!
ok, time for bed for me, overtired :D

:D :D :D