PDA

View Full Version : Betty Crocker Chocolate Fudge Brownie Mix.... vegan???

loveganism
Aug 18th, 2010, 12:44 PM
There's a Betty Crocker brownie mix in Tesco (the 'add egg/oil/water' one, not the egg one where you add water), and I'm not sure, but it might be vegan?

The ingredients are this: sugar, wheat flour, cocoa powder (processed with alkali), vegetable fat, salt, modified corn starch, sodium bicarbonate, monocalcium phosphate, flavouring.

It says "contains wheat ingredients and may contain soy, milk and egg ingredients"

I emailed them asking if it's vegan, and got the usual 'wary' of the word vegan reply:

We are happy to confirm that our Betty Crocker Chocolate Fudge Brownie Mix is suitable for vegetarians, as the glycerol ingredient is derived from a plant origin.

Hmm. Vegan or not vegan, do ya reckon?

loveganism
Aug 18th, 2010, 12:45 PM
This is a picture of the box http://www.bettycrocker.co.uk/product_detail.aspx?range=3

(the one with the orange sticker, not the orange/blue sticker)

loveganism
Aug 29th, 2010, 01:49 PM
Their choc chip cookie mix looks safe too...

Mr Flibble
Aug 29th, 2010, 03:43 PM
The ingredients are this: sugar, wheat flour, cocoa powder (processed with alkali), vegetable fat, salt, modified corn starch, sodium bicarbonate, monocalcium phosphate, flavouring.

In answer to your question, there's no way of telling whether the flavourings are animal derived or not unless they explicitly state it.

My question to you: why not just buy the ingredients separately, for cheaper?

loveganism
Aug 29th, 2010, 08:43 PM
In answer to your question, there's no way of telling whether the flavourings are animal derived or not unless they explicitly state it.

My question to you: why not just buy the ingredients separately, for cheaper?

Convenience :D

Also, nostalgia :o I used to love making those little cake kits when I was a kid!