PDA

View Full Version : Tofu at wagamama

Hel
Sep 7th, 2010, 04:11 PM
Does anyone know what kind of tofu they use at wagamama? I recently ate there and really enjoyed it, the extra firm i buy is a totally different texture though so im confused as to what they use, thanks in advance!

Barry
Sep 7th, 2010, 04:54 PM
I'm afraid I don't have a clue. I have a question for you though, what did you have that was so nice? I love Japanese food but always thought Wagamama seemed a bit vegan unfriendly. I wouldn't mind checking it out on a recommendation though.

Hel
Sep 7th, 2010, 05:00 PM
I had the yasai chilli men which was basically big fat chunks of tofu, courgette, pepper and onion in a big spicy chilli sauce on big fat 'wormy' noodles, i think they are called soba noodles!

I have found the recipe for the chilli sauce on google but im not sure what type of tofu to use. I wont post a link as i think its breaking copyright (but if you google its easy to find!)

Barry
Sep 7th, 2010, 06:34 PM
Cheers, that sounds right up my street. I love chilli, tofu and soba noodles! Anyway, back to your thread...

harpy
Sep 7th, 2010, 06:51 PM
I'm afraid I don't know what kind of tofu they use - seems a bit like some of the pre-fried types I've seen in Chinese supermarkets - but if you asked them they might tell you!

Just wanted to mention to Barry that all the branches I've been in have a list (either on paper or on a handheld computer) of what can be made vegan and what they have to do to make it vegan. Most of the vegetarian dishes can be vegan but they sometimes have to alter the type of noodle - the wholewheat noodles aren't vegan or something counterintuitive like that.

Barry
Sep 7th, 2010, 06:57 PM
That's great info Harpy thanks. Looks like a trip to Wagamama is on the cards at the weekend.

harpy
Sep 7th, 2010, 07:06 PM
Whew, I was afraid you were going to ask me what I'd had as I can never remember the names. I do remember that on Saturday I had a noodly thing in coconut soup which was pleasant, if a bit messy to eat.

Glen Lambert
Sep 7th, 2010, 08:50 PM
Wagamama in Leeds lists their vegan option and the food is incredible. I think that they use the pre-fried tofu too. In fact I got some myself (Asian supermarket, Vicar Lane, Leeds) and I'm hoping this'll be just like I've always wanted Tofu to be.

jimmeh
Sep 7th, 2010, 11:34 PM
Ooooh yes I'm a Wagamama regular. The saien udon noodles are fantastic, with those wee fried tofu parcels floating in the top. Yum.

Mollfie
Sep 8th, 2010, 04:35 PM
I'm afraid I don't have a clue. I have a question for you though, what did you have that was so nice? I love Japanese food but always thought Wagamama seemed a bit vegan unfriendly. I wouldn't mind checking it out on a recommendation though.

I'm always eating at Wagamama! They are very vegan friendly, always happy to take things out if you want them to and always happy to tell you whats in dishes if you're not sure (thought it's all listed on the menu too).

I've no idea what kind of tofu they use, but it's gorgeous. My OH is always nicking my tofu lol.

Hel
Sep 11th, 2010, 02:10 PM
oh the dumpling starter is good too

i managed to recreate the recipe, it was good but ill stick to the real thing in the future, making the sauce cost almost the same as actually eating it out! and i had to do my own washing up!

Tofu Monkey
Sep 11th, 2010, 04:12 PM
Whew, I was afraid you were going to ask me what I'd had as I can never remember the names. I do remember that on Saturday I had a noodly thing in coconut soup which was pleasant, if a bit messy to eat.

That's my favourite, the Yasai Itame. Mmm, I'm tempted to have Wagamamas tonight now, haven't had it in a while.

Tigerlily
Sep 12th, 2010, 02:18 PM
I'm going to take an educated guess based on my knowledge of Asian cookery via the internet. I'm going to guess the tofu was boiled before it was prepared for whatever dish it's going to be in. Boiling tofu (or microwaving it for lazy people) is one thing the Japanese do to tofu that never caught on with Westerners. I think it helps improve the texture and prevents it from getting crumbly.

Mollfie
Sep 12th, 2010, 10:34 PM
That's really interesting, I may have to try boiling it next time I have some. Is it a boil in the bag method or boil it in the pan like vegetables?

Tigerlily
Sep 13th, 2010, 12:23 AM
I think it's just put the whole block in a pot of boiling water for a few minutes (with nothing else), then take it out, and wipe off any excess water. I think.

veganese
Sep 16th, 2010, 05:20 AM
I imagine by what you say it must be "mori nu firm tofu" among the huge wide variety of tofus out there, this one is the most appropiate if you want to use in baking products such as brownies or muffins.Also delicious fried in a nama shoyu sauce & vegetable oil. Nothing compared to for example, "couldron" tofu which I am still at loggerhead as to what variety of tofu it is... I've never seen it in Japanese and Chinese supermarkets...

loveganism
Sep 20th, 2010, 02:12 PM
I went to a Chinese restaurant once that had tofu similar to Wagamamas when I asked about it, they said it was tofu 'puffs' and could be found in China Town. I looked in a Chinese grocery store and couldn't see any. They look fried/deep fried but because they're so light they absorb the sauce better.

hbunting86
Apr 11th, 2011, 07:08 AM
Oooh I'm meeting a friend at Wagamamas in Auckland on Wednesday so I'll have to give something a try! :)

megrainbows
Apr 22nd, 2011, 06:55 PM
http://www.justhungry.com/looking-tofu
This article shows all the types of commonly used Japaneses tofu. Might be of help to see if anything is similar!
The tofu puffs might be 'aburaage' which are deep fried tofu pockets.