PDA

View Full Version : Lady Gaga's "meat bikini"

Pages : [1] 2 3

Charley333
Sep 8th, 2010, 07:23 PM
Hi, I just felt I had to post a link to this article. I just don't know what to say about it really - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1309914/Lady-Gaga-poses-naked-raw-meat-bikini-Vogue-cover.html :eek:

The title of the article says it all really, and while I can kinda understand how for omnis meat is just meat, you know? All packaged and part of their daily diet, for me personally seeing cuts draped on her makes me feel quite sick. I'm totally not suprised that animal rights campaigners are upset by this, quite rightly so of course!!!

The thing about this article that shocks me though is that after the comment about meat signifying something brutal and cruelty in its most vicseral form, the comment is used as a nice little segueway into how it's just another one of Lady Gaga's crazy outfits! Like, Oh look at that eccentric Lady Gaga, isn't she funny... and the whole message is completely forgotten, plus the obligatory pun "even by her standards it's a little raw", oh well now I'm laughing my head off I think not...

Sorry I just felt I had to rant about this, it's just makes me so angry!!!! :mad: grrrr, anyway, would be interested to hear your thoughts on this guys...

Hemlock
Sep 8th, 2010, 07:50 PM
It makes me sick to the stomach that an animal was killed just so that some airhead could wear it as a bikini. I feel the same when I see a burger discarded on the ground, yet another animal murdered for human greed not need.

Tofu Monkey
Sep 8th, 2010, 08:09 PM
This pictures is vile and disgusting and I agree about the response from the fans that has completely taken away from how awful this is.:mad:
I was so disgusted that I wrote a small article about it, which if you have a spare couple of minutes, Id appreciate if you could read; http://tofuveganzombie.blogspot.com/

leedsveg
Sep 8th, 2010, 08:24 PM
I have to feel a bit sorry for the woman. Firstly she's barmy as the photo clearly proves. Secondly when the realisation of what she's done sooner or later hits her, she's going to have to live with that for the rest of her life.

lv

Charley333
Sep 8th, 2010, 08:30 PM
I think your article is brilliant and hits straight to the point - an animal, maybe many died so that for a couple of clicks of a camera, some "pop star celebrity" could be seen as edgy... How anyone could possibly think that this was sexy is beyond my comprehension. To me now, seeing meat, seeing flesh is sickening, it viscerally affects me and just constantly reminds me of man (and woman's) domination over other species. I think it's disgusting and saddening that we live in a society that condones this and makes a feature out of a woman using animal flesh to create attention... As Hemlock so rightly says, "another animal murdered for human greed not need"

fondducoeur
Sep 8th, 2010, 09:09 PM
Tofu Monkey, I really enjoyed your article. I am disappointed in Lady Gaga, and sickened by this photo. It was probably unwarranted, but before this, I had some amount of respect for her.

Festered
Sep 8th, 2010, 09:14 PM
Did the animal get killed especially?

BlueGreenEyes
Sep 8th, 2010, 09:41 PM
Hi Charley I didnt know what I would find in your link but I was brave and clicked! even considering she is a meat eater thats completely disgusting!!! To have that raw meat against your skin and hair, well it just makes me feel sick............ even when I was eating meat I think I would have felt sick by this!!! All I can think of is she might as well be rolling around in blood!!! oh goodness on her bare skin!!!!!! I just cant get over this! I dont think I can ever see her in the same way!

tofu monkey i will read your article but I just had to blurt out what I thought (love your rattie pic btw SO CUTE)

BlueGreenEyes
Sep 8th, 2010, 09:47 PM
Tofu monkey I liked your article :-)

Charley333
Sep 8th, 2010, 10:30 PM
Hi Charley I didnt know what I would find in your link but I was brave and clicked!

Sorry, the original link was longer... I'm glad you clicked but sorry for the disgust it caused... I know as a meateater I would never have been able to have raw meat draped over me. I assume they've draped it over an actual bikini and photoshopped that out, well I hope so... It's the fact that the article makes it all seem ok because she wears eccentric outfits anyway, as if holding a tea cup and wearing a telephone on your head equate to animal flesh on you....

BlueGreenEyes
Sep 8th, 2010, 10:38 PM
Dont worry Charley I glad you think that photo shop might me a work I didnt even think of that :o still makes my skin crawl!

hiroki
Sep 8th, 2010, 11:09 PM
Can't stand her anyway.

leedsveg
Sep 8th, 2010, 11:15 PM
Gaga: demented, crazy, dotty.

Spot on.

lv

Stillwater
Sep 9th, 2010, 08:32 AM
I don't mind it too much, to be honest. I mean, even for the average omni, that picture would be a pretty ugly, gross, and somewhat confronting sight (well, the meat part of it anyway). Anything that shows meat in all of its ugliness can't be all bad. I'm personally much more concerned with things that 'clean up' and sanitise the dirty image of meat, like pictures of happy cows on milk cartons or perfectly manicured little steaks in clean shrink-wrapped packages. Because as we all know, the greatest enemy of compassion in our society is ignorance, and the fact that the brutal and ugly truth is usually kept far out of sight.

Sure, it's obscene that so much meat would get wasted for mere vanity, but in this case, it's possible that it might actually end up doing more good than harm. Millions of people will see that cover. Out of those millions, hundreds of thousands will probably find it unattractive. Out of those hundreds of thousands, perhaps a thousand might be prodded to reconsider eating meat. If out of that thousand, one person decides to go vegan, then give it a few weeks, and that photo shoot will have saved more animals than it destroyed.

Bearshark
Sep 9th, 2010, 09:10 AM
EW. Really just.....EW. Even before I went vegan or even really thought about what meat actually WAS, touching it or getting any on me reeeeeally creeped me out, so this just makes my skin crawl and feel gross!! I think I'm going to have to go and have a shower now.....

harpy
Sep 9th, 2010, 10:31 AM
Apart from the waste of animals' lives this seems like quite a misogynistic image to me, given the cultural connotations of "meat". However as Stillwater says it may make some people stop and think about things - we can only hope.

sandra
Sep 9th, 2010, 10:39 AM
I really think that woman needs some kind of help! :(
What is the point of that photo from her perspective? She's not doing it as some sort of protest against eating meat so why is she doing it? I really don't know why anyone would think that was a good idea.
I hope it does have the effect that Stillwater talks about................it might just make some people think twice about what 'meat' is...........I hope so.

Charley333
Sep 9th, 2010, 11:58 AM
I'm personally much more concerned with things that 'clean up' and sanitise the dirty image of meat, like pictures of happy cows on milk cartons or perfectly manicured little steaks in clean shrink-wrapped packages. Because as we all know, the greatest enemy of compassion in our society is ignorance, and the fact that the brutal and ugly truth is usually kept far out of sight.

Out of those hundreds of thousands, perhaps a thousand might be prodded to reconsider eating meat. If out of that thousand, one person decides to go vegan, then give it a few weeks, and that photo shoot will have saved more animals than it destroyed.

Yes, "happy meat" concerns me as well, the idea that people can assuage their concience because animals are being treated nicely so it's fine to eat them or consume their products...

I hope you're right! When I first saw this I just got so angry, I really hope that at least one person goes vegan or as you say at least think about meat and what it really is...

DiaShel
Sep 9th, 2010, 09:57 PM
What upset me most was the comments that TofuMonkey quoted in her article. Some people had really positive reactions about it looking great and being awesome. One said that they would like to wear one. Another said that they didn't understand why veggies were all upset because she wasn't eating the meat. :confused: Who the hell are these people?! :mad: If ignorance is bliss there are a lot of insanely happy people out there.

Stillwater
Sep 10th, 2010, 12:25 AM
I think it also shows how complacent people, even us to some degree, are about leather. If she was photographed covered in leather, no one would have blinked an eyelid. Of course animal rights activists and vegans would disapprove, but there never would have been any outrage about it, since leather is so commonplace. It also wouldn't have had the shock value that she wanted, which is why she chose to wear the inside of a cow instead.

DiaShel
Sep 10th, 2010, 12:53 AM
^ That's so true.. a leather outfit would have been worse in the amount of cow used but at least it'd be reused.

lastx
Sep 10th, 2010, 05:08 PM
She has demeaned herself and the poor animal(s) killed for her stunt. Some people will do anything for publicity (and money). Maybe her agent can arrange a photo shoot at the big cat enclosure at the zoo?

Tofu Monkey
Sep 10th, 2010, 07:27 PM
Thanks to all those who read my article, I appreciate it immensely. I'm just waiting to see if Lady Gaga tries to explain her motives because she really has lost all respect from me. I hate the fact that people are saying 'I don't know why vegan's are so bothered, it's not like she are it'. I mean, seriously!!?!?! I would rather she ate it, that way at least it would have served some sort of purpose on this earth.

MoonDance
Sep 11th, 2010, 06:17 AM
I loved your article Tofu Monkey, it was very well written. I agree about those comments ..... it really makes me wonder what the f**k is wrong with the vast majority of people on this planet. I just don't get it. Even when I ate meat, raw meat disgusted me :down:

Hel
Sep 11th, 2010, 02:18 PM
i wonder if she had a handbag made from baby leather would her fans still find her so cool?