PDA

View Full Version : holiday in sicilly need help please

bellybuddha
Sep 11th, 2010, 09:30 PM
has anyone got any experience or knowledge about Sicilly please? I am going away with friends and my family next week and would like to know about good fresh markets and supermarkets that's vegan friendly. we will be going to the region of Donnafugata. As much as I love spaghetti and tomato sauce it kind of gets boring as everyone here well knows. Any help please?

harpy
Sep 12th, 2010, 02:54 AM
You lucky thing!

I don't think I've been to Donnafugata, but I've been to Sicily several times and found it pretty OK on the whole - it's quite a poor region so I imagine the locals couldn't afford much meat historically and their traditional cuisine reflects that.

I would mug up a few words of Italian before you go so you can explain what you want. They have beautiful produce in the street markets so you could just live off the fresh fruit and vegetables if need be, but I think I managed to persuade most restaurants to produce something. The only ones I recall having trouble with were the cheaper cafeteria type places where the food is already made up and often seasoned with little bits of meat :-/ But regular restaurants will normally make you something on request. Vegetable antipasti tables are a good standby too.

Hope you have a great time.