PDA

View Full Version : What did you eat for the first time today? (2)

Pages : [1] 2

missbettie
Sep 23rd, 2010, 09:14 PM
I tried curry for the first time today....I'm not sure how I feel about it....It was a frozen meal from Trader Joes...so maybe if I make it at home i'll like it better? but it was definately weird....

Tigerlily
Sep 24th, 2010, 03:22 AM
OMG, homemade curry or restaurant curry (from an Indian restaurant) is WAYYY BETTER. Look up potato curry recipes, I love me some potato curry!

Barry
Sep 24th, 2010, 03:37 PM
I tried curry for the first time today....I'm not sure how I feel about it....It was a frozen meal from Trader Joes...so maybe if I make it at home i'll like it better? but it was definately weird....

You've only just tried curry for the first time? :eek: Wow, I basically live on the stuff! Get down to an Indian and try the following - chana masala, dhal, veg balti, veg jalfrezi, bangain bartha, saag aloo, chana palak, rajama masala. Do it now!

felix_amborosa
Sep 25th, 2010, 02:02 AM
Curry is awesome, oh so tasty. Definitely get down to an Indian restaurant or make some yourself.

Tigerlily
Sep 25th, 2010, 04:11 AM
I also love creamy red lentil curry, OMG.

Risker
Nov 28th, 2010, 10:55 PM
I bought a cheezly selection pack today. I thought we could have it at christmas on crackers for when the sickness of overindulgence from dinner wears off and we feel it necessary to force more food into ourselves - because if you don't feel sick at christmas you're doing it wrong.

Anyway, I thought I'd better test it out in advance to make sure it was ok.

There are three 'cheeses' in the box, smoked, blue and pepper jack. The smoked is nasty, the blue is horrible, the pepper jack however is horrible but with chillies in.

I don't know what I was expecting, I hate cheezly.

Kimberlily1983
Nov 28th, 2010, 11:06 PM
Okay, I'm cheating, as I have not tried this yet. But I'm going to! We bought kasha (roasted buckwheat groats) for the first time yesterday, and will be trying it for the first time sometime within the next week or two.

Enchantress
Nov 29th, 2010, 11:39 AM
Pickled watermelon rinds.

Kimberlily1983
Nov 29th, 2010, 02:13 PM
Pickled watermelon rinds.

I've never even heard of that! What's it like?

Enchantress
Nov 29th, 2010, 03:32 PM
Kind of like very sweet pickled gherkins (cucumbers). I found the recipe on Oprah's website of all places. The recipe is here: http://www.oprah.com/food/Citrus-and-Spice-Pickled-Watermelon-Rind . I'm going to put it in a salad with watercress and pecans.

Back-Space
Nov 29th, 2010, 03:37 PM
Gherkins are good :p

I haven't eaten yet today, but it will probably be some toast :D

Kimberlily1983
Dec 1st, 2010, 04:42 PM
Cool, thanks. Maybe I'll give that a shot sometime... :)

Kimberlily1983
Dec 1st, 2010, 04:44 PM
Ooh, did you notice where they got the recipe from? Says at the bottom:

"This recipe was adapted from Vegan Soul Kitchen, by Bryant Terry (Da Capo)."

Enchantress
Dec 1st, 2010, 04:48 PM
Yes, I was searching for Bryant Terry recipes when I found it. I'm asking for Vegan Soul Kitchen for Christmas.

TXvegan
Dec 13th, 2010, 11:39 PM
I had the vegan hot dogs from Tofutti yesterday for the first time. I'm going to have to experiment with different brands until I find one I really like. These drove me nuts, because it was hard to break them apart in the package. That being said the Tofutti American style cheese works well in a toasted sandwich.

Risker
Dec 14th, 2010, 12:36 AM
Fermented beancurd

Lars
Dec 14th, 2010, 01:53 AM
That being said the Tofutti American style cheese works well in a toasted sandwich.

I can't even get through a slice of that stuff, yuuuuck!!!

I tried vine leaves (as in rice stuff wrapped in vine leaves) very yum! apparently you can buy them in a can too ahha

Kimberlily1983
Dec 16th, 2010, 05:21 PM
Ooh, I loove Tofutti American cheese slices. That with some pickles, ketchup, mustard, on top of a soy burger? Yummm.

RubyDuby
Dec 18th, 2010, 07:52 PM
Sweet & Sara rocky road bark. omnom

Kimberlily1983
Dec 20th, 2010, 06:37 PM
Sweet & Sara rocky road bark. omnom

Mmm, I've never had that, but I'm planning on making dark chocolate bark with mint candy pieces in it to give out as Christmas gifts. :) That and possibly some lemon lime vegan cheesecakes (new recipe I've not tried yet, made with silken tofu, which I've also not cooked/baked with yet - trying lots of new things lately!).

Blueberries
Dec 21st, 2010, 03:35 PM
Macadamia milk. Its quite quite thick and creamy but the macadamia taste is one that most likely has to be aquired. In sweetened liquid form anyway!

RubyDuby
Dec 21st, 2010, 05:32 PM
that sounds awesome!

Lars
Dec 28th, 2010, 10:46 AM
mac n cheese!!! albeit too much mustard (and missing ingredients) but it satisfys the craving, especially if i hold my nose while i eat it

i went for a drive and wandered into a health food store (very hard to find one near me) and found nutritional yeaaaaast!!

megrainbows
Dec 29th, 2010, 01:18 AM
I love the tofutti slices! They're the only cheese substitute (apart from parmazano, which is more of a powder) that I've actually liked. I tried cheezely ages ago and I thought it was vile.
Yesterday for the first time I tried the chilled alpro chocolate milk and I totally loved it. The whole carton is nearly gone! It's funny because I don't like the chocolate milk they do in the UHT cartons, but the chilled is completely different.

VagabondVegan
Dec 29th, 2010, 03:33 PM
'Dairy Free alternative to Mint Chocolate' without the chunks of mint that blow your face off when you bite them :)