PDA

View Full Version : Worthenshaws Freedom ice cream

Pages : [1] 2

hullabaloo
Oct 10th, 2010, 11:03 AM
My OH came back from sainsburys this morning with a tub of vanilla ice cream. It's rather tasty, not as good as booja booja but slightly cheaper and easier to get hold of. Apparantly it was on dragon's den.

http://www.worthenshaws-freedom.co.uk/

maggielassie
Oct 10th, 2010, 03:36 PM
Sounds great. I'll find out if my local Sainsbury's sells it. ;)

sandra
Oct 10th, 2010, 06:10 PM
I got some today in Sainsburys. It says 'chocolate frozen dessert' on the carton. It isn't as nice as Booja booja or Swedish Glace but it's not bad! :)

cobweb
Oct 11th, 2010, 07:13 AM
I had this yesterday and HATED it!!. It just tastes like (expensive) slightly creamy sorbet to me :mad:

sandra
Oct 11th, 2010, 08:40 AM
Good description Cobweb.............why didn't I think of that! :confused: :D

Mr Flibble
Oct 11th, 2010, 11:29 AM
I've tried all 3 flavours.

I'm really unimpressed by it - Swedish Glace is far cheaper (even at half price) and much nicer.

Troutina
Oct 11th, 2010, 05:30 PM
We tried the vanilla flavour at the weekend and it's definitely not getting bought again! It's overly vanilla- flavoured but with a slightly thicker consistancy of sorbet. Which I never liked! Swedish Glace wins again.

sandra
Oct 11th, 2010, 05:36 PM
I've tried all 3 flavours.

I'm really unimpressed by it - Swedish Glace is far cheaper (even at half price) and much nicer.

Spot on as always, Mr Flibble! :)

leedsveg
Oct 11th, 2010, 08:57 PM
I'll give it a try, when I can find it...

lv

cobweb
Oct 11th, 2010, 10:51 PM
the chocolate is marginally better...........

emzy1985
Oct 12th, 2010, 10:57 AM
I'll try it when I see it. TBH Swedish Glace always wins for me. I find the vanilla flavour better than anything on this Earth, including BoojaBooja.

hullabaloo
Oct 12th, 2010, 07:26 PM
I must be the odd one out because I enjoyed it but really didn't like swedish glace at all. Booja booja wins out for me though.

xwitchymagicx
Oct 12th, 2010, 08:35 PM
I have tried the chocolate one! It was "okay"...alas the shops round here no longer sell Swedish Glace!!

emzy1985
Oct 12th, 2010, 08:42 PM
Do you live in an alternate reality where you are being punished for something you did in a past life?

xwitchymagicx
Oct 12th, 2010, 08:45 PM
More than likely...lol Slowly all shops seem to be getting rid of it, H&B sometimes has it for like £3 for ice cream so frozen it has disintergrated. lol

Tofu Monkey
Oct 19th, 2010, 08:47 PM
I thought this was awful, I tried both the chocolate and strawberry varieties. It just tastes like ice cream watered down. Very disappointed.

xwitchymagicx
Oct 20th, 2010, 09:51 AM
I might as well just pay an extra £1.50 for Booja Booja as it costs £3.99 in Sainsbury! I tried the strawberry one yesterday and it doesn't have a creamy ice cream consistency at all.

megrainbows
Oct 20th, 2010, 12:19 PM
The texture is really different to other alternatives, but I personally really like the strawberry and chocolate ones. The vanilla is kind of awful though... and tastes like a mixture of ice and sentless perfume D:
On the positive side I love the chocolate one, and the strawberry one is nice allthough it has a bit of a weird after taste :) It's really low calorie and fat too

Gwydion
Oct 20th, 2010, 03:11 PM
really didn't like swedish glace at all.

*Drops Dead*

maggielassie
Oct 20th, 2010, 08:15 PM
I bought the strawberry one and it was lovely. :bigsmile:

leedsveg
Oct 21st, 2010, 03:44 PM
OMG. Just seen it in Sainsburys at £3.99 for 480ml, Swedish Glace was £1.99 for 750ml. In other words, weight for weight, Worthenshaws (made in England) was over 3 times as expensive as Glace (made in Sweden) and also, by popular opinion on VF, not as tasty. I really like the lass who designed the stuff and her presentation on Dragons Den and I'm glad that it's endorsed by the Vegan Society (UK) but at £3.99 for a small tub, the aroma I'm getting is "rip-off". Hate to think how much she was charging before she appeared on Dragons Den if the economies of scale have now kicked in.:eek:

leedsveg

Risker
Jan 6th, 2011, 10:13 PM
Just tried this for the first time, got it on sale for £1.99 from Tesco's.

Like has been said, it's a bit watery, the water affects the texture too by causing crystals in it making it more like a sorbet. It really needs more fat to improve the texture and flavour but unfortunately they've decided to make it low fat.

I did enjoy it (had the chocolate one) but would much rather have swedish glace.

khadagan
Jan 7th, 2011, 01:18 AM
It's nice to have more brands at the Market though and it's good that they're different. There are sooo many dairy icecreams on the Market! Wish I could try it now, but will definitely try it nextvtime I'm in the UK.

Marrers
Jan 13th, 2011, 12:18 AM
I normally prefer chocolate flavour ice creams (eg Swedish Glace) but I wasn't keen on the Worthenshaws chocolate. I really liked the vanilla one though. Shame it is so hard to find.

cobweb
Jan 13th, 2011, 06:49 AM
^ blimey we have it in Asda, Tesco and Sainsburys here, but I think its awful!