PDA

View Full Version : what do you put on your popcorn?

Pages : [1] 2

foxytina_69
Feb 1st, 2005, 09:03 PM
what do you put on your popcorn?

im eating lower fat and am wondering how to season my popcorn to still make it taste good without all the butter.

feline01
Feb 1st, 2005, 09:13 PM
I love nutritional yeast + herbamare (herbed celtic sea salt) on popcorn. I could eat it everyday.

Kiva Dancer
Feb 2nd, 2005, 01:11 AM
Sprayed with olive oil, sprinkled with nutritional yeast, kissed with sea salt or "salted" with garlic powder, ceyanne pepper, powdered chili dust and lemon pepper (if you don't want sprayed oil on it).

I loves me popcorn. :D

Mystic
Feb 2nd, 2005, 01:37 AM
I haven't eaten popcorn for years - It always made my throat itchy at the movies. I like puffed corn cereal though and sometimes eat it plain

LyricSarah
Feb 2nd, 2005, 01:52 AM
Sprayed with olive oil, sprinkled with nutritional yeast, kissed with sea salt or "salted" with garlic powder, ceyanne pepper, powdered chili dust and lemon pepper (if you don't want sprayed oil on it).

thats basically exactly what I do! If im being lazy..I just microwave organic buerritos no oil no salt popcorn...sparay on some non fat all natural cooking spray (canola works best unless you dont mind the strong flavor of olive oil..I usually use olive oil) then I put on TONS of garlic.....way too much salt..and nutritional yeast yum :D

mattd
Feb 2nd, 2005, 02:02 PM
Indian Style Popcorn is awesome. My girlfried makes it, so I don't remember everything you put in it, but basically you saute garlic, corriander, cumin, tumeric, and brown sugar in olive oil. then spread it over the popcorn like you would butter. add salt and pepper to taste. be careful though, it does stain. there might be more spices added to (possibly some curry powder and cinnamon) but i can find out if anyone is interested.

feline01
Feb 2nd, 2005, 02:06 PM
Please do, mattd. That sounds scrumptious. I gather it's the turmeric that stains, my husband accidentally wiped his hands on an undershirt while making veggie/tofu bake and 2 washes later, still turmeric handprints.

Gorilla
Feb 2nd, 2005, 04:47 PM
i almost never eat popcorn. i guess it's more popular to make your own in the US? i prefer savoury popcorn to the horrible sickly sweet stuff so if i ever feel like making it, i'll keep in mind everyone's suggestions. they all sound very nice if a little too much effort for me ;)

mattd
Feb 2nd, 2005, 07:47 PM
i almost never eat popcorn. i guess it's more popular to make your own in the US? i prefer savoury popcorn to the horrible sickly sweet stuff so if i ever feel like making it, i'll keep in mind everyone's suggestions. they all sound very nice if a little too much effort for me ;)

sorry, but i really have no idea what you're talking about. what is "savoury" popcorn? i assume by the sweet stuff you're talking about pre-popped popcorn, and that stuff is always pretty horrid. air popped with either (vegan)butter or the indian style i suggested is really good.

p.s. and it takes so little effort to make. just buy a popper, put the unpopped corn in it, and in two minutes you have an awesome treat.

feline01
Feb 2nd, 2005, 07:50 PM
In the UK, you have a choice of sweet or savoury. Sweet is lightly coated with sugar sorta like caramel popcorn but not as sweet. Savoury is just salted. Popcorn really isn't as popular there as it is here. I used to have to search high and low to find unpopped kernels when I lived there and I lived in London.

lolamako
Feb 2nd, 2005, 09:01 PM
I love it with melted earth balance butter sea salt and loads of nutritional yeast. You could also mist it with olive oil instead of butter.

I want to try to make "kettle" style popcorn, one of these days when Im not so lazy, yum, sweet and salty.

My mom likes to add sliced tomatoes and eat it with a spoon.

joy
Feb 3rd, 2005, 12:28 AM
I like my popcorn plain but some of my friends like it with hot sauce.

feline01
Feb 3rd, 2005, 01:53 AM
I forgot about that, I used to love popcorn with Tiger Sauce, a kind of hot sauce. Haven't had it in ages though.

foxytina_69
Feb 3rd, 2005, 03:07 AM
mmm hot sauce sounds good :)

Kiva Dancer
Feb 3rd, 2005, 06:49 PM
Air popped popcorn is also good with tomato soup. Put a couple of kernals in the bowl, scoop out when you scoop the soup, eat and enjoy. It's a wintertime favourite around here.

8 winks
Feb 5th, 2005, 11:05 PM
i know artificial sweeteners are bad...........but i love popcorn with splenda on top!

Tofu Monster
Feb 6th, 2005, 01:26 AM
what's 'nutritional yeast'? :confused:

i've never noticed it in the supermarket.

is it the same yeast stuff you make bread with?

Kiva Dancer
Feb 6th, 2005, 03:25 AM
Nope, not the same at all. They're 2 different yeasts.

gertvegan
Feb 6th, 2005, 06:08 PM
what's 'nutritional yeast'? :confused:
Check out the Nutritional yeast (http://veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1401&highlight=nutritional+yeast) thread innit.

Gorilla
Feb 6th, 2005, 06:25 PM
8winks, as far as i know Splenda is about the worst artificial sweetener you could buy, if you must buy any. they conducted some pretty outrageous animal testing before bringing out their already superfluous product. if there's a thread about it here i'll try to find it.

Matt, sorry if i confused you with my talk of British popcorn ;) i can't say i like it enough to be bothered to buy a 'popper' but i believe one can buy packs of unpopped corn to put in the microwave in the UK.

Poison Ivy
Feb 6th, 2005, 07:31 PM
8winks, as far as i know Splenda is about the worst artificial sweetener you could buy, if you must buy any. they conducted some pretty outrageous animal testing before bringing out their already superfluous product. if there's a thread about it here i'll try to find it.

That reminds me of when I got collared by one of those street surveyors, she was doing a survey on sugar versus sweeteners. After spending about five minutes asking all these questions on which sugar/sweetener I used she showed me pictures of the different Splenda products (I gather the survey was done on their behalf) - and asked what I thought of it. I don't think she quite expected as strong an opinion against it as the one I gave her :D

Don't think she'll be stopping me to do any more food surveys for a good long while ;)

celtic rose
Feb 7th, 2005, 10:03 AM
That reminds me of when I got collared by one of those street surveyors, she was doing a survey on sugar versus sweeteners. After spending about five minutes asking all these questions on which sugar/sweetener I used she showed me pictures of the different Splenda products (I gather the survey was done on their behalf) - and asked what I thought of it. I don't think she quite expected as strong an opinion against it as the one I gave her :D

Don't think she'll be stopping me to do any more food surveys for a good long while ;)

Well Done PI. I can't stand those street surveys.

As for popcorn all you need is a pinch of sea salt.

8 winks
Feb 7th, 2005, 06:24 PM
8winks, as far as i know Splenda is about the worst artificial sweetener you could buy, if you must buy any. they conducted some pretty outrageous animal testing before bringing out their already superfluous product.

i didn't know this........ sorry to promote it

Monkey Wild
Aug 17th, 2005, 10:52 PM

Wow, Kiva Dancer, that sounds *delicious*!!

I like to put peanut oil on my popcorn! :p Also, a dash of paprika when I'm in the mood! :D

eve
Aug 18th, 2005, 08:08 AM
I don't put anyfink on my popcorn! :)