PDA

View Full Version : Slimming world as a vegan

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Muffin
Oct 29th, 2010, 08:27 PM
Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone else here does Slimming World? I have been doing it for about 8 weeks and thought it would be nice to get in touch with other vegans doing it if there are any here?

Thanks!

Jen xx

SugarPlumFairy
Dec 22nd, 2010, 12:36 AM
I found it very difficult. They are huge advocates of Quorn. ( I did it this time online, but have gone in person when I lived in England ) which is not vegan and I wrote to the company and they have no plans on ever becoming a vegan company. :(
I had to use up so many of syns on my daily brown rice protein shakes, that it was frustrating. I can not live on tofu alone, I have some concerns about it due to being in menopause and the bad things I heard about it regarding the thyroid. I do eat soy quite often, but I do not like overdosing on it. SW was not an option for me at all.
Hope it going great for you however ! :):)

vava
Dec 24th, 2010, 07:33 PM
I am doing it at the moment - I do the online version - I am getting on well - have my first stone sticker - been doing it for 3 months now. I was expecting there to be no useful info about vegan products but everything I look for on the vegan side just jumps up if you put the manufacturer in. A lot of the foods that are free are vegan - indeed when I started I was eating more than I would normally and still losing but only slightly so I started using the plan and also eating less. It is amazing how quickly a human body adapts. I am quite happy on the site and the 'minimins website' is also good for support. There are quite a few vegans that write on there. Only another half stone to go and very determined at the mo to get to target and stick there! I wish you well on your journey! I am very pleased with my results at the mo!

cobweb
Dec 24th, 2010, 09:19 PM
I did it once and put on weight!. Loads of stuff was 'free' foods, like potatoes (cooked without fat), and veg, I ate more than usual and actually gained.

SugarPlumFairy
Dec 24th, 2010, 09:53 PM
Huge congratulations to you Vava on your success with SW. It really is a good plan and apart from having to use up all my syns on my rice protein shake would have seen it thru. Being here in the States I have access to food that are either very hard to get in the UK or not at all, so there was no listing for the brown rice protein powder, so had to contact them, unfortunately even though it is sugar free, organic, fat free with no chemicals, additives, etc, they 'charged me ' syns to use it, and that was more or less my full allotment for the entire day, which is no good.

I work out quite heavily, sometimes 12 miles a day of walking, so I eat a larger percentage of my daily calories in protein, so the brown rice protein shakes made with almond milk and flaxseed is a staple in my life.

Best wishes, congratulations again and a very Merry Christmas to you !

Gattona
Dec 25th, 2010, 11:49 PM
Hi,

I've done it a few times and found it works well if you can stand the discussions in group about the things the omnis eat and the food recomendations. But I've never found the consultants anything but polite and accepting of my choices. Tho concept of calling any food sinfull however they decide to spell it pees me off as well but the support of a class and the regular weigh in does help me. It doesn't work for me if I overdo the rice as a free food but now they recommend that a large per cent of what is eaten should be a super speed food as well and that does work. Previously I would just fill up with plates of rice or couscous and that was counter productive. Can I put in a plug for a very nice small yahoo group called vegan slimmers? All vegan slimmers very welcome :))

I plan to go back to SW, as I've out on about three stone in the last year, but tbh, if people are overweight for emotional reasons as I am I think more than diet is needed so as to try to sort out the underlying issues.

good luck with it all.

SugarPlumFairy
Dec 25th, 2010, 11:57 PM
Hi Gattona !
If you decide to try to set up a small yahoo vegan slimmers group, I would love love love to be part of it ! I would not have a clue on earth of how to set it up, so if you decide to do it yourself, can you let me know, so I may join ?
Thanks !
Merry Christmas. :)

SugarPlumFairy
Dec 25th, 2010, 11:58 PM
Oh dear, I think I may have read your reply incorrectly ! :confused: I think you may have meant that there is a small group called Vegan Slimmers already in existance and all are welcome to join in.
Did I get it right this time ??

Sorry ! ;)

Gattona
Dec 26th, 2010, 12:45 AM
Oh dear, I think I may have read your reply incorrectly ! :confused: I think you may have meant that there is a small group called Vegan Slimmers already in existance and all are welcome to join in.
Did I get it right this time ??

Sorry ! ;)

Its here! Come and join us :) http://groups.yahoo.com/group/VeganSlimmers/That's an open invitation, not just to SugarPlum Fairy

Gattona
Dec 26th, 2010, 12:54 AM
Oh the link got mixed up wit the next bit of the sentence. Sorry. here it is again http://groups.yahoo.com/group/VeganSlimmers/

SugarPlumFairy
Dec 26th, 2010, 03:52 AM
I have just joined and I rec'd a message saying my membership is pending and when approved I will get an e-mail notification, so I will wait ! Thanks for letting me/us know about this valuable resource !

:heart::heart::heart::smoochie::smoochie::smoochie :

vava
Dec 26th, 2010, 09:02 AM
Slimming world is not a diet - it is a way of restructuring the way you eat and of giving you a new way of approaching and preparing food. If you use it as a diet it will never work and you will just yoyo. If you gain weight when you are on the diet it is because your portion sizes are too large and you are overeating. There are lots of reasons for overeating - the worst are emotional issues that are really hard to break but if you follow the rules and stick to it even if there is not change for a few weeks while your body adjusts - you will lose weight. Sorry if this sounds like an advert it is not - it is just a reinforcement of the fact that most overweight folk are doing something wrong with their food and that is a tough fact to face sometimes when it relates to a pleasurable pastime!

emmapresley
Dec 26th, 2010, 08:07 PM
o hai!
i've been going to a fat club..oh noo sorry, slimming world for about 6 weeks and i've lost 1 1/2 stone. its been incredibly easy. apart from one week (where i went to hansas and starbucks and stuffed my face silly and gained half a pound) and this last week where i was a good focussed girl and gained 1 1/2 pounds and everyone twittered on about it being my 'star week', ive lost weight every week..the most 7lbs in one week, the least 4lbs.

spuds..pasta..rice..couscous.add in loads of veg and loads of fruit. whats not to like?

i can see plenty of the people who go struggle with what they use their 'syns' for..and i reckon if they tweaked those and stuck to shitloads of free and superfree stuff, they wouldnt even need their 'syns'. but im being judgemental or just mental on that one.

processed stuff tastes disgusting now, things that previously i wouldve seen as pretty healthy now taste like heavenly treats (i had 5 grapes and a massive fat gherkin earlier and was delighted with how satisfying it was. er. that sounds pretty wrong about the gherkin, right?)

my consultanty woman is a bit over.err..no, shes great. quite motivating. i love the basket of joy..which i struive for winning every week..dont care its got crap stuff in it, i just want to win it, and the table of inspiration placed centrally in the room of motivation and encouragement tickles my pink every week. i love slimming world..muaa haa.

cobweb
Dec 27th, 2010, 12:01 AM
Maybe it just depends a bit on how good the group leader is, and probably how focused you are yourself. When I tried it, years back, and put ON weight, I think the leader just imagined that I could gorge myself on free foods that are vegan and I'd lose weight easily. But of course you can gain weight if you eat too much of virtually anything.

I should have another go I think. I've completely given up chocolate as it turned out to be a definite Migraine trigger for me, so if I can do that I'm sure I can make other changes.

Anyway, well done emmap and everyone else losing weight :).

vava
Dec 27th, 2010, 10:08 AM
[QUOTE=emmapresley;669341](i had 5 grapes and a massive fat gherkin earlier and was delighted with how satisfying it was. er. that sounds pretty wrong about the gherkin, right?)/QUOTE]

Ok - would have been worse if it was 2 grapes and a gherkin. **Hoots**.

emmapresley
Dec 29th, 2010, 12:41 AM
*snortish snigger*

indeed!
i 'maintained' this week (my weigh in is every tues am). get this. this last week our group collectively lost 3 lbs and gained 34lbs. THATS FESTIVE BINGEING FOR YA

the woman who lost the most (2lbs)..was eating pork pies last night. WTF?!

SlackAlice
Dec 29th, 2010, 01:32 AM
Well done everyone on your weight loss!:)

I joined the 'other one' (Weightwatchers) some years ago with a friend of mine. The group leader did go out of her way to accomodate the needs of a (then) Vegetarian and indeed there were several recipes and ready made meals which were Vegetarian. But I dont recall there being any recipes or guidance for Vegans. Incidentially.. she was incredibly sensitive to the feelings of my friend who at 6' 5'' and 26 stone was the only male in the group.

The programme was extremely well thought out and I did have a gradual but noticeable weight loss , I never went hungry or felt deprived of anything as I could virtually eat anything with the points entitlement for the day. Points were awarded on weight/gender/height/physical energy used in work.

The weigh in and the advice section were excellent but the 'group bonding' bit I found patronising and humilating. People clapped at your success or bleated in sympathy at your failures in an almost pantomine like fashion. One poor woman recounting the tale of a forbidden extra Indian take away bent her head and wrung her hands in a way more appropriate to the confession of a serial killer than those of a lapsed slimmer!

Then there were childish games and some god awful glove puppet (alias a sock) who chides us or praised us as we added up our points. It strangely spoke with the same voice as the leader except more squeaky ....:rolleyes: I could only stand it for a few weeks before I had to leave.

My friend took the games in better sprit ( he doesnt get out much;)) and smugly lost weight week after week after working out that he could use his points up on fish and chips and lager and still look as squeaky clean as a choir boy. Mind you he left too eventually when he realised that using up such vast amount of points sinfully left him none for essential foods and he feared he might end up with scurvy!!

Right ..now I am off to check Gattonas link. I just hope there will be glove puppets :D

Gattona
Dec 29th, 2010, 10:20 PM
sorry no glove puppets, or fake clapping ... I'll go and have a look and see if you're there yet :)

emmapresley
Dec 30th, 2010, 01:27 AM
^ i keep meaning to join in with this if youll have me?
will do it tomorrow poss cos got to scamper now

Gattona
Dec 30th, 2010, 08:35 PM
^ i keep meaning to join in with this if youll have me?
will do it tomorrow poss cos got to scamper now

Its an open Yahoo group, it wasn't me that started it ... see you there after you've scampered

pusskins
Dec 31st, 2010, 01:26 PM
Well, for my syns (hur hur :o), I joined Slimming World online yesterday. Mostly thanks to you lot raving about it! :D I am already a bit confused, though! It said I have a factsheet I can find on my homepage about substitutions, as I chose the "no dairy" element. I can't find the factsheet! Anybody in the know to let me know, please??

vava
Dec 31st, 2010, 02:42 PM
which plan are you doing?

vava
Dec 31st, 2010, 02:43 PM
Theres the normal in your face one or theres the old plans which are green and red. The green ones were recommended for veggies and they are carb heavy. They try to promote the new extra easy plan now but the old ones are still there. I do the green plan.

pusskins
Dec 31st, 2010, 03:15 PM
It's the new food optimising Extra Easy plan. Looks really good and *chortle* really easy!

vava
Dec 31st, 2010, 03:53 PM
The site has changed recently and I am not as familiar with it as before but a lot of the stuff you needed before was on the recipies and menues section so I would try there. If you are looking for healthy extras they are in the getting started bit and anything personal to you is in the my slimming world bit. HTH. :)