PDA

View Full Version : Co op Fairtrade Drinking Chocolate is no longer labelled Vegan!!

mecocat
Nov 3rd, 2010, 01:21 PM
The other day i went to buy a tub of Co op's fairtrade drinking chocolate and noticed that it now states that it's vegetarian only and not vegan. It also mentions that it is packed in a factory which handles milk products!! :eek::pissed_ani::cry:

Drinking chocolate is one of my all time fav's and when i became vegan Co op's dtinking chocolate was a god send!!

Help! Does anyone know of any other brand of drinking chocolate that's easily available in the UK? :)

Lynn
Nov 3rd, 2010, 01:46 PM
According to the sainsbury's list of vegan products, they have an own brand of hot chocolate. Although saying that, Asda claimed to have a vegan version too on their list, but when I went last night, It just said suitable for vegetarians :confused: so I didn't get any. I don't drink tea, or coffee, so hot chocolate is all I have really. Hopefully when I go to Sainsbury's at the weekend, I'll be pleasantly surprised!

harpy
Nov 3rd, 2010, 02:41 PM
There's this http://www.veganstore.co.uk/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=1&Product_Code=332&Category_Code=021 - probably not what you're after though!

Incidentally some vegans (including me sometimes) would still buy the chocolate if the only thing that made it non-vegan was the cross-contamination risk, and others wouldn't. You can probably find a number of threads on this topic.

Lynn
Nov 3rd, 2010, 03:50 PM
Thanks harpy :) I didn't realise that!

I found this site that sells it http://www.hotelchocolat.co.uk/vegan-chocolate-CHCOVEGAN/ tis very expensive, but it could be a christmas present to yourself ;)

Ah forget that! having re-read it, it says it might contain traces of milk :mad:

harpy
Nov 3rd, 2010, 04:46 PM
I would normally choose a product from a vegan company if it was on offer, but there aren't that many companies like that, unfortunately. Plamil is one, but I don't think they make drinking chocolate.

If a company makes vegan and non-vegan products in the same factory I reckon there is always a cross-contamination risk, however careful they are (unless perhaps the vegan ones were made in a sealed unit). And companies are getting more careful about acknowledging the risk in case someone has an allergic reaction and sues them.

I don't feel too bad about buying things with a cross-contamination risk because I am not paying (i.e. encouraging) the company to use the non-vegan stuff. But some people are bothered by the thought of ingesting even traces of it.