PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas for vegan vol au vent fillings?

mecocat
Nov 4th, 2010, 01:06 PM
Hi All,

Has anyone got any recipes for vol au vent fillings? I'd really like to do some for over christmas but i'm stuck on ideas!

Thanks!

harpy
Nov 4th, 2010, 01:33 PM
I haven't got any actual recipes but I've done them with sliced mushrooms cooked in a fairly thick white sauce - that worked OK. You can also use things like fake cream cheese and olives, adding the filling after the cases are cooked as that sort of thing doesn't benefit from heating.

Clueless Git
Nov 6th, 2010, 11:25 AM
'Lo Mecocat :)

If you want to make faux fish/meat vol-au-vents you can get the stuff here: http://www.veggie-world.com/OnlineShop

One obvious one is to get some of their veggie-shrimp. Chop that up in a 'seafood' sauce of vegan mayo and tomato ketchup seasoned with lemon juice, salt and pepper and a little cayenene pepper - perhaps?

Veggie chicken in a little vegan mayo flavoured with curry powder would work too ..

Another one, mash up some silken tofu, fry it very lightly with some veg-stock powder for flavour and some turmeric for colour .. that would give you a kind of scrambled egg for egg-mayo or curried-egg filling, I think ...

BlueGreenEyes
Nov 6th, 2010, 09:33 PM
never heard of them...........*feels very unposh* lol will google and make up for my lack! good luck mecocat :)