PDA

View Full Version : Favorite winter food

ems.w
Nov 6th, 2010, 08:34 PM
ok winter is coming hard and fast (especially in england BRRRR) and i was wondering what everyones fav winter food is, mine has to be:

homemade veg stew:

vegtable stock
onions
leeks
carrots
swede
parsnips
cabbage
sweet potatoes
white potatoes
season to taste

and thick organic bread or roll with green pure spread

mmmmmm sunday duvet days makes this meal even better :D

BlueGreenEyes
Nov 6th, 2010, 09:29 PM
hmmmmmm.....lets see i have so many fav foods.... at the moment I am mostly living off lots steamed veg and stir-frys, lol not forgetting hummus and soups! but i really think the best thing to eat in the winter is lots of fruit to combat colds and flu! i am upping my fruit intake and hopefully i wont get sick this winter COLDS BEWERE I HAVE AN ORANGE AND I AM NOT AFRAID TO EAT IT lol

your soup sounds really nice!! yummy in fact!! do you think i can make it in my slow cooker? and dont be mean i have to work the weekends *sniff sniff*

ems.w
Nov 6th, 2010, 09:36 PM
your soup sounds really nice!! yummy in fact!! do you think i can make it in my slow cooker? i cant see why you shouldnt be able to in not sure how much liquid you would put in though when u do mine on the stove i use half veg stock and half water (so that it covers the veg by no more than a centermeter) it is well scrummy tho u shoudl defo try it :satisfied:

COLDS BEWERE I HAVE AN ORANGE AND I AM NOT AFRAID TO EAT IT
LOL :bigsmile: i eat lots of fruit but i find in winter because i live up north (england) it can get sooo cold i need something (burn ya tounge off) warm and hearty, plus its cheap and last for several meals and can be frozen :D

BlueGreenEyes
Nov 6th, 2010, 09:53 PM
I wish i was as organised as you ems.w I never make batches of soups and things, I admit to my lazyness :)

I am lucky as it doesnt get too cold where I am, we did get snow last year but it was pretty much a freak occurrence and lol it was really creepy how empty the roads where because everyone was scared of driving lol well I thought it was funny anyways, though I had admit after spending my entire childhood and teenagehood wishing for snow it really wasnt as fun when it happened!

will be trying your soup in the slow cooker once i have done my shopping! I dont have much in at the moment! :)

ems.w
Nov 7th, 2010, 12:55 AM
Im not that organized to be honest the thing i love about soup is i chop/cook for two hours one day and cant eat hot food for 3/4 days! hehe

i love thats deathly silence you get when the snow come its like the universe turned the 'mute button on' nothings ever as fun when you get older =( lol

yeh defo shud try it and it works out to be really cheap as well and you can add as little or as much as you want =) let me knw if you try it and if ya like it

Cherry_Bmbshell
Nov 24th, 2010, 05:47 PM
butternut squash soup! yum!

My fave soup recipe:

White Bean Soup
1 cup veggie broth
1 large yellow onion chopped
3 medium potatoes cut into chunks
2 medioum carrots chopped
1 large celery stalk chopped
2-15oz cans of great northen beans
2 1/2 cups roughly chopped kale
salt pepper to taste
cap of liquid smoke hickory flavor

Put onion, broth and juice from the beans in a big ole pot. Bring to a boil then simmer for 15 min. Add Potatoes, carrot and celery cover and cook until veggies are tender. Add beans and cook 5 more mins. Throw the kale in right before you serve so that it is just wilted. Season to taste!

yum yum yum yum

ems.w
Nov 24th, 2010, 10:37 PM
ooooo sound really nice mmm