PDA

View Full Version : Weight

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

eve
Dec 10th, 2004, 05:39 AM
tails4, published by Avon, ISBN: 0380807971 - Amazon has discounted copies. There's also Barnard's 'A Physician's Slimming Guide - for permanent weight control' that I once reviewed for Vegan Voice, but that was a few years ago. I believe that his 'Foods that Cause you to Lose Weight' is a later book.

tails4wagging
Dec 10th, 2004, 05:46 AM
Thanks Eve, I will try and get that one. :)

harpy
Dec 10th, 2004, 09:53 AM
foxytina, I don't know about any of the commercial "GI diets" but you can watch the glycaemic load of what you eat and still have potatoes, bread and so on. It's mainly a question of moderation, and of combining them with other stuff so that your meals don't cause peaks and troughs in blood sugar.

celtic rose
Dec 10th, 2004, 10:15 AM
Yes, since adopting the GI as a foundation to my food choices my energy levels are much more stable. No more post-lunch slump as I had when I took sandwiches to work. I found Rick Gallop's "Living the GI Diet" book very good, not too much science.

tails4wagging
Dec 10th, 2004, 01:24 PM
In for a penny, in for a pound!!!. Celtic rose have you details of that book also? ie ISBA number. Thanks

celtic rose
Dec 10th, 2004, 02:26 PM
Anything to oblige:
Rick Gallop, Living the GI Diet
ISBN: 0753508826
6.99 at amazon.co.uk

JasperKat
Dec 10th, 2004, 05:49 PM
Never mind losing weight, how do you feel? I don't think I've gained or lost any weight since I went vegan, but I'm not sure. I feel better than I did before cutting out dairy and eggs, so my weight isn't too much of a concern. If I ballooned up suddenly, of started dropping pounds like crazy, I might be worried, but overall, I think people place too much importance on weight. If you feel good, then you're fine. I know noone is saying otherwise, but it bums me out that society at large only appreciates certain body types. Sorry to grouch, I think I need some coffee.
-JK

PinkFluffyCloud
Dec 10th, 2004, 07:21 PM
So you haven't given up the Coffee, JK? :D

Fruitbat
Dec 10th, 2004, 08:43 PM
MandaPea - 9 days is not a long time. For weight loss consider your calorie intake in relation to your physical activities.... Try some gentle aerobic activities and to eat healthy with reduced fats (esp hydrogenated and saturdared fats tho do NOT reduce EFAs in seeds, avocadoes or nuts), with reduced fast-releasing sugars, processed foods, refined foods and snacking on anything but fruit. Good luck

tails4wagging
Dec 10th, 2004, 08:46 PM
Thanks celtic Rose, I will be so busy reading all these books I won't have time to eat anything!!! :)

Ruby Soho
Dec 10th, 2004, 08:48 PM
Thanks celtic Rose, I will be so busy reading all these books I won't have time to eat anything!!! :)

It never works out like that for me - I tend to snack while I'm reading - kinda defeats the purpose really when its a weight loss book :D :o

PinkFluffyCloud
Dec 10th, 2004, 09:13 PM
I have been flirting with diets off and on for 7 years, kept losing weight and re-gaining, plus more.
Have now decided to do it another way - exercise first (kept thinking I would lose weight, then exercise!). It's only been a week, but it's great! My body is literally screaming out what to eat, I can't miss the signs!!
I am actually now craving grated fresh salad and Garlic, and Soya. I keep eating loads of small, healthy snacks.
Definitely will keep this up!

MandaPea
Dec 11th, 2004, 01:22 AM
i'm not stressing about it, i was just wondering how everyone else's body responded to veganism.

eve
Dec 11th, 2004, 05:59 AM
i'm not stressing about it, i was just wondering how everyone else's body responded to veganism.
But that wasn't your question - which was about weight loss! ;)

tails4wagging
Dec 11th, 2004, 07:51 AM
PFC trouble is for me I have a disability that causes me to get fatigued very easy so exercise is out for me. The only exercise I do is walk the dogs.

PinkFluffyCloud
Dec 11th, 2004, 07:59 AM
Yes, I do understand, Tails.

JasperKat
Dec 11th, 2004, 12:31 PM
So you haven't given up the Coffee, JK? :D

Lord no. Gotta get this monkey off my back! :D

-JK (who's drinking a cup right now)

feline01
Dec 11th, 2004, 01:12 PM
Lord no. Gotta get this monkey off my back! :D

-JK (who's drinking a cup right now)

Ummm, coffee *drool*. I haven't had any since May 2003, want to know the exact date ;) ? My husband grinds his beans (shade-grown) everyday and I just sniff :( .

veganblue
Jun 1st, 2005, 01:48 PM
This almost seems to be the wrong thread to write this in but I am pretty happy about weight *gain* instead of loss.

My weight has been steady between 52kg and 54kg for the last eight years and quite suddenly I have been 55kg for at least a week! This is out of the ordinary for me so it seemed worth posting.

Does anyone else have difficulty *gaining* weight?

Recent changes include;
- six months of cycling as my main daily transport - I don't drive anymore
- 20 days without coffee or alcohol
- newly introduced to yoga practice
- regular (healthy vegan) meals

Just seems...odd... that I would be gaining weight. Maybe the coffee was *really* dehydrating me and it's all water but I am hoping to gain another 10 kg if this keeps up :D