PDA

View Full Version : new soya free cheeses/burgers/etc from redwood

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

cobweb
Dec 15th, 2010, 10:34 AM
well I tried the chicken pieces last night, did a proper 'KFC' thing with fried chips and baked beans. I did actually quite enjoy them...........10 minutes later I had to RUN to the bathroom, and as soon as I came out my son ran in there, don't think they agreed with us!! :eek:

harpy
Dec 15th, 2010, 10:57 AM
:eek: Sounds rather fast-acting!

pusskins
Dec 15th, 2010, 11:29 AM
Ohhh, it's going to be fun in our house! We're going to get some of those new Southern Fired 'chicken' pieces to try this weekend, as we really enjoyed the new party bites and cocktail sausages last weekend. Considering my other half's digestive sensations, I'll make sure the path to the loo is clear! Heh heh. Shall I report back? lol

cobweb
Dec 15th, 2010, 02:32 PM
:eek: Sounds rather fast-acting!

They were!!

Ohhh, it's going to be fun in our house! We're going to get some of those new Southern Fired 'chicken' pieces to try this weekend, as we really enjoyed the new party bites and cocktail sausages last weekend. Considering my other half's digestive sensations, I'll make sure the path to the loo is clear! Heh heh. Shall I report back? lol

ha-ha, yes please!

Firestorm
Apr 19th, 2011, 02:02 PM
NEW PRODUCTS FROM REDWOODS:

I've just been to the Redwoods website (it was a bit weird yesterday some of the products disappeared and 2 new ones came up), but today it has been updated again and they have loads of new products:

Tuna Pate
Mushroom Pate
Plain Flapjacks
Brazil Nut Flapjacks
Double Choc Flapjacks
4 Types of Yogurt - Plain, Black Cherry, Peach & Apricot, Raspberry
Meat Balls
Gourmet Beef Style Pieces
Gourmet Duck Style Pieces with hoisin glaze

There is a picture of a pizza on the top of the screen, but I cant find one anywhere on the site - there is a roumour that they will start producing frozen pizza's soon though

Gwydion
Apr 19th, 2011, 08:09 PM
^ Indeed. In the latest Cook Vegetarian they interview the MD and he mentions that frozen pizza's are on the cards.

Firestorm
Apr 19th, 2011, 09:22 PM
I saw that and an advert for the yogurts, but only saw them on the site.
Cait wait for this new stuff to hit H&B

leedsveg
Apr 19th, 2011, 09:26 PM
Let's hope they become bigger than Quorn and as ubiquitous.

lv:bigsmile:

megrainbows
Apr 22nd, 2011, 06:25 PM
Oh wow! So excited for all that! Especially frozen pizza & meat balls and my mum will be happy to try new patés. She's tried practically every other vegan paté on the market haha!
Pizza would be awesome for going round friends houses or social events. I doubt I'll like it more than my home cooked version though :P

Firestorm
Apr 22nd, 2011, 08:37 PM
Oh wow! So excited for all that! Especially frozen pizza & meat balls and my mum will be happy to try new patés. She's tried practically every other vegan paté on the market haha!
Pizza would be awesome for going round friends houses or social events. I doubt I'll like it more than my home cooked version though :P

The meatballs are already in the shops, I bought some yesterday and they look like they would be nice in a meatball sub.
If your mum wants pate, has she tried Viana? I've just polished off a tub of the veggie garden one and it was great (http://www.veggiestuff.com/acatalog/vegetarian-vegan-pates-spreads.html)

harpy
May 12th, 2011, 09:34 PM
I've just tried the Redwood faux tuna pate, has anyone else? I found it a bit strange but quite moreish. It does have a fishy taste which I assume is due to seaweed although the ingredients list is a little vague.

It's a long time since I had actual tuna pate so I'm probably not the best judge but I don't remember it being quite that solid. Not that it matters.

Firestorm
May 12th, 2011, 09:35 PM
Hi Harpy
Can I ask where you bought it?

harpy
May 12th, 2011, 10:42 PM
Yes, it was in the local H&B, along with some other newish-looking Redwood stuff. I daresay other branches will be getting it soon if they haven't already.

Firestorm
May 12th, 2011, 10:50 PM
My local H&B seem to always be a bit behind the times, I will go in tomorrow and if they haven't got any ask them to put some away when it does come in

harpy
May 12th, 2011, 10:57 PM
Mine's behind the times as well so you might be lucky.

Firestorm
May 12th, 2011, 11:00 PM
I'll keep my fingers crossed, but they didn't have any on Wednesday and they get their delivery on Tuesdays.
I live in hope

leedsveg
May 13th, 2011, 03:16 PM
I've just tried the Redwood faux tuna pate, has anyone else? I found it a bit strange but quite moreish. It does have a fishy taste which I assume is due to seaweed although the ingredients list is a little vague.

It's a long time since I had actual tuna pate so I'm probably not the best judge but I don't remember it being quite that solid. Not that it matters.

I'll have to try it. I used to like the Realeat "fishcakes" but they seem to have stopped producing them some time ago. I'm not impressed with with the Redwood "fishfingers" or "scampi".

lv

harpy
May 13th, 2011, 03:20 PM
Funny, LV, I thought the fish fingers were quite OK but the scampi was indescribably awful. I wonder whether things actually taste different to different people or whether it's that we like different tastes - hard to ascertain. Anyway will be interested to hear what people think about the pate, am still undecided (and thinking of trying it on the cats :evil: )

pusskins
May 13th, 2011, 04:58 PM
*thinks* Will Redwood end up being a rival to Quorn? I hope they start getting stocked in the supermarkets.

harpy
May 13th, 2011, 05:55 PM
Waitrose did stock at least a couple of Redwood products - think it was the aforementioned "fish" fingers and one of the Cheezlys - but I'm not sure whether they still do.

Firestorm
May 13th, 2011, 05:57 PM
Large branches of Tesco have cheezly cheddar, Asda used to do a full range of slices, sausages, pate and chicken but they have stopped.Sigh:(

kikifromscotland
May 14th, 2011, 10:22 AM
*thinks* Will Redwood end up being a rival to Quorn? I hope they start getting stocked in the supermarkets.

Morrisons sell redwoods vegideli slices which they sometimes have at £1 and I've seen cheezly in there before (cheaper than holland and Barrett, think it was £1.70 or something) but not for a while. Hopefully supermarkets will stock more redwoods things if demand grows!

Firestorm
May 19th, 2011, 12:40 PM

My local H&B just got this in yesterday, I bough one pack of this and a pack of the mushroom pate.
I've just tried the tuna one with bread and I'm undecided about it, it does remind me of having Princes tuna pate before I was vegan but it doesn't taste quite as fishy (part of me thought it tasted like a slightly moist version of the Turkey style roast they do).
I might try putting it in a tuna casserole and see what that tastes like, or maybe a pizza. I would buy it again but it didn't make me jump for joy - I do think Redwoods missed a good opportunity though, if they had launched it in March they could have marketed it as a vegan option for Good Friday.

What bugged me is I bought this before going to work yesterday, I had to work a late shift last night so I took dinner to work ( a sandwich made from Tesco Reduced Fat Houmous with Tesco Mild Salsa, toasted in a frying pan and left to go cold) and it tasted like a fish sandwich - better than the Redwood pate.:rolleyes:

Firestorm
May 31st, 2011, 07:31 PM
I tried redwoods mushroom pate. Wasn't great. I prefer the Granovita one in a tin.

harpy
May 31st, 2011, 07:41 PM
I haven't seen the mushroom one yet I don't think. I don't seem to be desperate to re-buy the tuna one. These things are relatively expensive and not particularly healthy (IME) so I have to like them a lot to want to buy them regularly.

I did quite like the soy-free Cheezly though so I will probably get that again.