PDA

View Full Version : new soya free cheeses/burgers/etc from redwood

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Adena
Nov 14th, 2010, 06:34 PM
I read in the Animal Times today that redwood has brought out a new line of cheese/sausages/burgers etc which are all soya free, made with pea protein instead.
Anyone tried any yet? Sounds interesting! Was going to post a link but the website's not working for me :/ I'll be keeping my eyes peeled, but as of yet haven't seen it in stores near me.

kikifromscotland
Nov 14th, 2010, 08:57 PM
I've got some redwood soya free cheezly in the fridge, not tried it yet though....

yo-yo
Nov 14th, 2010, 09:22 PM
I've had the cheezly and it's really nice! Me and my b/f prefer it to the other ones which have soya in. I was at a talk by Heather Mills at the veggie fayre in Brighton a few months ago and she was talking about it, which is why I went out and looked for it and tried it.
xx

Adena
Nov 15th, 2010, 07:47 PM
Ooh that's good to know yo-yo! Where did you find it? I live in west sussex :)

Lynn
Nov 15th, 2010, 08:54 PM
My local Holland + Barrett has is VeganBride :)

Adena
Nov 15th, 2010, 09:03 PM
Aw what! Mine doesnt :( Maybe I can ask them to stock them :)

Lynn
Nov 16th, 2010, 10:12 AM
You could always try, no harm in asking! :D

I also read on an old post here about Morrisons that some people had accidentally found some at the cheese aisle there! I'm going to have a look tonight when I go to mine, just incase! :amazed_ani:

Adena
Nov 16th, 2010, 07:23 PM
Really?! I'll have to have a look too! My Morrison's is really minimal when it comes to vegan food, but I'm still hopeful ;)

Lynn
Nov 16th, 2010, 07:51 PM
Just came back from Morrisons and they had Cheezly! I nearly danced round the shop :D To think I've been walking by it for the last 3 weeks!

I also got a packet of 10 Pure Soya slices and a Pure creamy spread at the same aisle!

I have just tried one of the cheese slices and lets just say its an acquired taste. I'm sure it will be lovely with some tomato and onion on a sandwich though :)

Adena
Nov 16th, 2010, 08:17 PM
Excellent! Hopefully I'll have the same luck :D Oof i tried the Pure cream cheese once, bad memories! Hope you like it more than I did!

Adena
Nov 19th, 2010, 09:39 AM
My OH found the soy free cheese in holland and barrett! :D Must not have been in when i went, we had some last night and it was v nommy! My mum (omni) tried some too and thought it was nice :D We both thought it tasted like dairy cheese slices my Grandma used to buy..

leedsveg
Nov 19th, 2010, 10:54 AM
My OH found the soy free cheese in holland and barrett! :D Must not have been in when i went, we had some last night and it was v nommy! My mum (omni) tried some too and thought it was nice :D We both thought it tasted like dairy cheese slices my Grandma used to buy..

I'll be in H&B tomorrow so I'll see if it's in and give it a try.

lv

yo-yo
Nov 22nd, 2010, 10:59 AM
Ooh that's good to know yo-yo! Where did you find it? I live in west sussex :)

hi vegan bride, sorry for delayed response! Glad you managed to find it in the end. I was going to say H and B, though I find the ones in Brighton and Hove are hit and miss, so sometimes they have the soy free one and sometimes not. Like for my party on Saturday they didn't have it :( though I got the mozzerella one and it still tasted nice :p I don't know of any health food shops in Crawley or near there, but if you're ever in Brighton, then stock up in Infinity foods, as they have it.
love yo-yo xx

Adena
Nov 23rd, 2010, 10:52 AM
Thanks yo-yo! Crawley has H & B , but I LOVE infinity foods! Everytime I'm there I have to grab one of the cinamon swirls I love so much ;) I love pottering through the fridge and seeing the crazy food too - vegan haggis?!?!

yo-yo
Nov 29th, 2010, 12:56 PM
Thanks yo-yo! Crawley has H & B , but I LOVE infinity foods! Everytime I'm there I have to grab one of the cinamon swirls I love so much ;) I love pottering through the fridge and seeing the crazy food too - vegan haggis?!?!

hi vegan bride- haggis, I know! Weird hey. My cousin actually cooked that one for me a couple of years ago and it was really good. I have no idea what non-veg haggis tastes like and nor will I ever know but I think we can safely say the vegan one is a million times better! ;) I like those cinnamon things, but prefer the scones...mmm. I have tried to reproduce them at home but they never seem as good as them! They're my bf's favourite too! :) mmmm scones....
take care,
love yo-yo xx

harpy
Nov 29th, 2010, 01:23 PM
I did have non-vegan haggis once or twice in my youth, and I would agree that the vegan one is much nicer (from a gastronomic as well as a moral standpoint!). It has the advantages of haggis (pepper and oatmeal) without the nasties (gristle).

I haven't seen the soy-free Redwood stuff yet but they do seem to have some new Redwood products in our local H&B - party nibble type things? I have bought some but not tried them yet.

Adena
Nov 29th, 2010, 04:47 PM
i bought pretty much the whole range yesterday of all the crimbo stuff thats in now from redwood, cranberry bite things, three types of mini-sausage etc, cant wait to try it all =] and got my hands on a celebration roast v early this year as they always go so quickly in my h + b
yo-yo I haven't tried the scones! will have to next time i'm in :D had a nice slice of pizza from the bakery though, and i love their flapjacks too... nomnomnom i think a trip to brighton is needed lol

twinkle
Nov 29th, 2010, 06:46 PM
The mini sausage packs are brilliant! Much better value than some of the other stuff, because something like 190g (less than 200g, anyway) chorizo bites were 2.90 and the sausages which I think was 390g were 2.85! :D We did wonder if they'd made a mistake with the pricing but we didn't say anything ;)

Adena
Nov 30th, 2010, 12:37 PM
Had the soy free "fried chicken" type pieces last night which I really liked but my OH wasn't impressed with... more for mee :)

Barry
Nov 30th, 2010, 12:44 PM
Had the soy free "fried chicken" type pieces last night which I really liked but my OH wasn't impressed with... more for mee :)

I had them last night too, but had the exact opposite experience to you! I didn't like them and my OH loved them. I thought they tasted really processed and almost plasticky. They're pretty high in saturated fat too..

Adena
Dec 1st, 2010, 08:47 PM
heyy thats funny ! I didn't find that they tasted that way, although i was really hungry maybe i just wolfed them down without noticing lol! Ooh dear, i never pay attention to fat :S prob should...!

cobweb
Dec 4th, 2010, 12:20 PM
I am desperate to try those 'chicken' pieces!

Barry
Dec 4th, 2010, 12:29 PM
I am desperate to try those 'chicken' pieces!

Honestly Cobweb, I wouldn't get your hopes up, they suck!

cobweb
Dec 4th, 2010, 03:33 PM
boo :down:

Barry
Dec 4th, 2010, 04:45 PM
boo :down:

I know, I had high hopes...