PDA

View Full Version : I need HELP!! lol

ems.w
Dec 5th, 2010, 02:01 AM
:bigsmile: Ok, ive decided to make my friend some fairy cakes with twilight (edward) toppers on them and obv i want them to be vegan (even tho she isn't vegan i know shed be really happy with them) but every time i make cakes (iv'e only been vegan just over a month :amazed_ani:) they don't turn out right! :( ..
I use egg replacer, but they still come out like pancakes. I even use a electric whisk and whisk way! more than recommended lol..

I hope someone can help me with my problem as i REALLY want to make her these shes a massive twilight fan and i know it would make her day.:satisfied:

Back-Space
Dec 5th, 2010, 03:26 AM
I just swiped this from google :p

http://lyvvielimelight.blogspot.com/2008/07/vegan-fairy-cakes.html

It looks like they add vinegar to the baking soda so it reacts and gives it that fluffiness :p
We made muffins at home not too long ago. We actually changed the recipes around for each one. Have a little less of this in one, a little more of that in the other. Then you can choose which texture you like the most :)

harpy
Dec 5th, 2010, 12:13 PM
There seem to be more recipes for vegan muffins than vegan fairycakes - maybe there's a reason for that? I have made muffins myself and even though I'm a useless baker they turned out OK.

This site has a couple of recipes for muffins (inc. vinegar) and even though I haven't tried it myself I know it's a reliable site: http://www.parsleysoup.co.uk/getrecipe.php?section=cakes&recipe=banana_and_date_muffins

twinkle
Dec 5th, 2010, 01:52 PM
If you post your recipe we can take a look at it and see if there are any obvious things wrong with it. I generally use self raising flour, and you might want to not use a whisk - a figure 8 stirring motion with a spoon until wet and dry are just mixed is probably better for incorporating air. Also, make sure you preheat the oven to the correct temperature (use an oven thermometer if you think it's not getting high enough, it's amazing how much the oven sensors can be out by!), and get the cakes in as soon as they're in the cases.

ems.w
Dec 5th, 2010, 08:23 PM
Thanks guys i think its guna have to be muffins i make with a 'fairy' twist on them lol i just followed a simple victoria sponge rec and replaced the eggs with egg replacer. (used to work when i used eggs) im sure ill get them right with practice :)

twinkle
Dec 5th, 2010, 08:30 PM
A victoria sponge recipe does generally rely on the aerating properties of the eggs. There are plenty of vegan cake recipes around which might be better than trying to adapt a non-vegan recipe if you're not used to vegan baking? If you use a muffin recipe with self raising flour you can generally just cut the egg out, because it should only have one in, but I've tried making victoria sponges and they've been flat for me too.

ems.w
Dec 5th, 2010, 08:37 PM
Thanks twinkle i will :)....n no im not used to vegan baking at all but im slowly gettin there after many youtube videos and buyin lots of cook books :)

TXvegan
Dec 10th, 2010, 04:08 PM
I use banana and apple sauce as egg replacements.

emmapresley
Dec 14th, 2010, 09:03 PM
hows your baking going ems?

sandra
Dec 15th, 2010, 10:03 AM
Ever since I got a copy of 'Vegan cupcakes take over the world' I have been able to make perfect fairy cakes. The recipes are gorgeous and so easy to follow. :)

VeganZee
Dec 15th, 2010, 03:49 PM
Yay for 'Vegan Cupcakes take over the world'!! - I love that book! :)

emmapresley
Dec 15th, 2010, 04:04 PM
^agreed! everything turns out amazing. my dad even asked for a copy to be lent so he could make cupcakes for his work cafe place thingy
can make the mixture into cakes. that really is stating the obvious though, isnt it?