PDA

View Full Version : What's your best sandwich ever?

TXvegan
Dec 10th, 2010, 08:25 PM
Today's lunch is definitely a make again soon type of sandwich - Avocado, tomatoes, red onions, veganese on vegan whole wheat bread. The bread is from a health food store in San Antonio and it's made in the shop. For $1.29 a small loaf, it's a bargain to boot!

Back-Space
Dec 10th, 2010, 10:20 PM
Kind of weird but... Toasted 2 slices of bread with margarine. Sliced cucumber with some salt and lots of black pepper :D Lol

Gattona
Dec 11th, 2010, 12:07 AM
Amazing! I saw the title of this thread and I started thinking about one of my favourite sarnies - avocado and tomato on a nice seedy sort of bread with lemon juice. Red onions sound like a nice addition - I'm trying to be low fat atm so would avoid the veganese.

I used to love a similar thing with seitan, loads of yummy salad bits and mayo type stuff, yuuuuuum.

kmacbeth
Dec 11th, 2010, 02:43 AM
Warm Falafel with mushrooms, sweet chili sauce, cucumber and italian dressing! It's especially good in a Pita

sarannity
Dec 11th, 2010, 03:04 PM
I often have the dilema trying to make lunches for my bf to keep him from straying into the cheese sandwich shop across the road from his work. His favourite so far has probably been nut culet or onion bhaji sandwiches (just from the freezer, very convenient!) with some salad. I really love toast with vegan marge and tomato these days! And if we go somewhere that doesn't cater very well for vegan we live off crisp sandwiches yum yum

RubyDuby
Dec 11th, 2010, 05:00 PM
Oh man, I made a bomb-ass sub a few weeks ago. I wouldn't eat it often, since it probably contained close to a whole days worth of calories, but it was delicious.

Start with a whole crusty Italian loaf, cut in half for 2 sandwiches.

Top the top half of the sandwich with:
Sambra hummus, dill pickles, slice of Galaxy Vegan American cheese, sliced onions, shredded lettuce, sliced heirloom tomatoes, olive oil that's been mixed with a little red wine vinegar, chopped garlic, basil, oregano, thyme, salt and pepper.

Top the bottom half of the sandwich with:
vegenaise, artichoke heart halves and chopped green olives.

Squish the 2 halves together really well and let the flavors meld for 30 minutes before eating.

so good.

Lynn
Dec 14th, 2010, 02:23 PM
wholemeal bread with pure margarine, vegideli sage + onion slices, tomatoes, cucumber, red onions + tiger tiger mayo :D

TheHRchannel
Oct 4th, 2011, 01:12 AM
A sandwich with guacamole, coriander, tomatoes, onions, bell pepper, and spinach was really good! :)

pat sommer
Oct 10th, 2011, 06:00 AM
Completely obsessed by Banh Mi Chay right now, the vegan version of a Vietnamese sandwich. Scroll down and find vegan somewhere on this site:
http://battleofthebanhmi.com/

For main fillings, I did a Shitake pate, roast lemongrass-tofu and a fried tofu in bbq sauce. I am pretty weak in Vietnamese cuisine (comes out Thai or Chinese) so this was a sandwich challenge.

Hand whisking up some garlic mayo was tiring. Making pickled carrots and radish was well worth the effort (low-cal fridge nibbling).
Next I will attempt Tempe and maybe some deep-fried king mushrooms...

I really need to get this onto the menu of a favorite vegan restaurant so that I can move on to another obsession.:dizzy:

VeganAthlete
Oct 24th, 2011, 07:58 AM
TXVegan,
Would you happen to know the name of the shop from which you bought your bread? I'm from San Antonio as well :)

Glory
Oct 24th, 2011, 07:10 PM
Timely! I just made a delicious sandwich for lunch yesterday (and today!).

Take a loaf of crusty bread (French, Italian, whatever) and slice into "sub" sizes (about 6 inches). Cut horizontally to make a bun.

Mix 1-2 tbs of tofutti with chopped and pitted kalamata olives and a little olive oil to make a spread. Spread one half of the bread with this mixture. Top sandwich with lettuce, cucumber slices, tomato slices, onion slices and roasted red pepper. Crack a little black pepper and sea salt over it. Top with a bit of oil and vinegar.

Now, put the two halves together and sort of smush it together really well so it flattens out a bit.

Enjoy!

diy-girlie
Oct 24th, 2011, 07:23 PM
Peanut butter on toast.. boring but so good.. or vegan nutella.. or sliced avocado and tomato with just salt and pepper

fondducoeur
Oct 24th, 2011, 08:00 PM
Tempeh reubans: tempeh simmered in a marinade of apple juice/soy sauce/broth (I would have to check on all the ingredients, but I think those were the main ones). Served on rye bread with vegenaise, sauerkraut, caramelized onions, whole meal mustard, and a bit of ketchup. Yum!

VeganAthlete
Oct 24th, 2011, 08:43 PM
This might sound a little odd, but does anyone have an awesome sandwich recipe with a bread replacement? Like using lettuce leaf as a bread or something along the line!