PDA

View Full Version : hello!

bexybexy
Dec 26th, 2010, 07:39 PM
Hi there

I am new to this forum and have been vegan now for just under a year. This was my first xmas as a vegan and I have loved it! I ate like a queen on xmas day and can honestly say since becoming vegan my diet is more varied than ever! I don't believe in just living off the land and spend quite a bit on buying vegan substitutes for stuff but who cares lol! It shuts all the critical omnivores up and my family were suitably envious and said on xmas day I ate better than them! I kind of like the looks on others' faces when I arrive for dinner armed with a whole load of varied and tasty food and sit there with a huge plate in front of me! So much better than living up to the stereotype of the vegan in the corner just eating chips!

emmapresley
Dec 26th, 2010, 07:44 PM
oooh is there a stereotype that vegans sit in corners eating chips? i rather like chips.

did you join at the beginning of the year then forget and then come back?
is lovely that you're here.
scoff on lady!

pat sommer
Dec 26th, 2010, 10:39 PM
Hi Bexybexy,

glad you had a great xmas! Maybe next year you'll be doing the family meal; my mom sure didn't mind not cooking...

SugarPlumFairy
Dec 27th, 2010, 04:29 AM
Welcome aboard !

I thought the steretype of vegans was a pasty faced, dirty long haired hippie who eats bean sprouts for lunch and is anemic ! Well that is what meat eaters in NY think. What do they know ?
I could not be more opposite. :D:D

bexybexy
Dec 27th, 2010, 11:54 AM
hahahaha! Yeah and what makes me laugh is ppl that say the old chestnut "I was vegan once but got really ill so my doctor ordered me to eat steak!" One of my mum's friends was saying her son went away to university and turned vegan and got ill. What was he living on lol pot noodles and beer most likely! What they fail to realise is anyone can just turn vegan as some sort of faddy thing - same as when I used to follow various diets eg Akins etc in the past and give up after 2 days. When I made the decision to be vegan I had properly researched it and thats why I eat such yummy stuff now. It really annoys people at my work they are forever asking me what I've got in my lunchbox today and one meat eating lady said she wished I could prepare all her food for her as she is so bored of eating the same bland sandwhiches everyday! Also my hair has grown and I look and feel healthy -that to me is the best argument for being vegan and there really is nothing people can say to that is there lol! Emma I joined earlier in the year but for some reason my profile has only just been activated! It's great coming on here and I see its a mixture of UK and US folks which is great - though I am really jealous as America and Canada have so much more vegan stuff than us lol!

harpy
Dec 27th, 2010, 06:14 PM
Welcome bexy! Glad you enjoyed yourself over Christmas. Perhaps you could start a profitable sideline at work preparing everyone else's lunches? ;)

bexybexy
Dec 27th, 2010, 06:54 PM
hahaha yeah that sounds like a plan harpy! must say it does annoy me in shops etc that the minute something has a vegan label on the companies charge stupid prices! It's nice when you find things that are accidentally vegan, then they don't cost too much!

Tish
Dec 27th, 2010, 08:45 PM
Welcome Bexybexy,
sounds like you had a fantastic Christmas dinner!

It's great you are enjoying lots of nice food and disproving the idea people have that vegan food is limited/ bland.....or whatever funny ideas people have about it!:D

Well done again :)

bexybexy
Dec 28th, 2010, 06:02 PM
ha yeah - thankyou! xxx

sandra
Dec 28th, 2010, 06:27 PM
Hello and welcome from me too! :)

bexybexy
Dec 28th, 2010, 11:05 PM
and u too sandra! love ur pic btw!

sandra
Dec 29th, 2010, 10:13 AM
Thank you! :) xxx

leedsveg
Dec 29th, 2010, 10:51 AM
Hi Bexybexy and welcome to Vegan Forum. I know what you mean about more vegan stuff in Canada and USA although there will be large areas where the situation will not be so good, a bit like Yorkshire really.:eek: I just googled Ohio where new member Maranne lives and there are loads of veggie/vegan eating places. I want to go on an eating holiday over there starting in New York, finally arriving and bursting, in San Francisco.:D

Leedsveg

bexybexy
Dec 29th, 2010, 10:56 AM
I know! my parents have a holiday home in orlando and they said theres a vegan restaurant just opened there i was so jealous! I looked at the menu and they have those giant puddings you know the type u get in restaurants here that are about five pounds and are like a giant knickerbocker glory with chocolate brownies and sauce etc yet its a vegan version! i really missi having puddings its annoying when u go out ur lucky if they can do a fruit salad. i normally wait till i go home and have some dairy free ice cream or something after all if im going out to pig out i really cant be doing with fruit lol!

harpy
Dec 29th, 2010, 11:28 AM
I like fruit but I agree it's annoying when you can't get anything else as a dessert in a restaurant. Some of of the vegetarian and vegan restaurants in London do good ones though (and I always feel duty bound to eat one when it's on offer don't you? :o ;))

bexybexy
Dec 29th, 2010, 05:14 PM
yeah i haven't been to London since becoming vegan I bet theres loads there! Brighton is fab the first time i went to Infinity Foods I thought I had died and gone to heaven! So much choice and there fresh section oh my god Vegan ready prepared sandwhiches and cakes!

khadagan
Dec 29th, 2010, 08:29 PM
I just wanted to give you my sympathy for those annoying fruit platters you get as an only option for deserts in restaurants and sometimes as the only option period! I've been there too many times, so unimaginative and boring! I don't think it's good to have just fruit after dinner anyway, if it's not going to be good for me at least I would want it to be ice cream or cake! ;)

bexybexy
Dec 29th, 2010, 08:45 PM
exactly lol! Im always eating fruit and healthy stuff cos funnily enough I dont fit the stereotype of the skinny vegan lol i put on weight really easy so have to be careful. so if i go out I want something baddd! lol