PDA

View Full Version : Fois Gras - ethical or not?

PrestonWilson
Jan 3rd, 2011, 10:11 PM
I recently read a long and somewhat well written article on a serious blog about eating where the author lays out his findings that Fois Gras is not unethical. I was sort of blown away and has a hard time believing this. Any thoughts from members here would be helpful to me. Reading that article prompted me to finally sign up here after lurking for about a year.

Cheers. My name is Preston Wilson and I am a Vegan. I would post a link to the article, but don't want to violate any forum rules, especially in my first post.

-PrestonWilson

Back-Space
Jan 3rd, 2011, 10:35 PM
I don't see how killing an animal for food is considered ethical, whether you're eating their wings, legs, or liver. There's no problem posting links to articles. I'd be interested in reading it actually.

Oh yeah :p And welcome to the forum :) Have you been vegan for the year you were looking, or just interested?

PrestonWilson
Jan 3rd, 2011, 10:48 PM
I have been vegan for about a year now. The hardest part of the transition was saving up the money to get non-leather sneakers, dress shoes, belts, briefcase, and wallet. If you have any suggestions on where to get nice non-leather shoes, please help me out, as I am not satisfied with what I have as replacements.

But back to the topic at hand, and I trust you, but if I am breaking any rules, please delete my post instead of banning me or something.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/12/the-physiology-of-foie-why-foie-gras-is-not-u.html

I have made some comments near the end, but am flabergasted how many people are not outraged with the highly irresponsible title of the article as well as the content. Signing up there to comment takes a minute, and comments are posted without mod approval. Hopefully I am not the onlyh one outraged at this article.

-PrestonWilson

twinkle
Jan 3rd, 2011, 10:59 PM
I'm with Back Space on this - if it involves killing animals it's not part of my ethics! Fois Gras has always seemed a particularly hideous way of dispatching them, but regardless of whether it's a pet you treat nice right until the time you slit it's throat or a factory farmed chicken from egg to automated throat slasher in 30 days it's still unecessary.

Back-Space
Jan 3rd, 2011, 11:09 PM
I used to think, which is actually a year ago now :eek: that if farms started to humanely slaughter animals I would go back to eating meat. Way back in my ignorant days :rolleyes: It's weird how much I've changed actually. Seeing that you can live a healthy diet as a vegan, I don't see any reason why an animal should have to die for us. So some people who read that article might consider it ethical, but nobody here would.

harpy
Jan 3rd, 2011, 11:13 PM
Never mind about the force-feeding - let's make the blogger live in a spacious shed with no access to the outside and no members of the opposite sex and see how he likes it! Also the author acknowledges that they are water fowl so where's the water?

If this is the "ethical" face of foie gras production, it's scary.

leedsveg
Jan 3rd, 2011, 11:25 PM
Hi Preston and welcome to the forum.:thumbsup:

Thanks for the link and I second what other posters to this thread have said about fois gras and killing animals.

Good wishes from Leedsveg

Festered
Jan 4th, 2011, 12:19 AM
Foie Gras is one of the fucking worst atrocities I have ever had the misfortune to be aware of.

Lars
Jan 4th, 2011, 01:10 AM
Oh my goodness. I didn't read the whole article, I stopped when I got to "is the production of fois gras torturous even under the most ethical conditions "

How on earth could ANYONE consider shoving a metal tube down a ducks throat and force feeding it till its gorged numerous times a day to expand their organs ethical

I'm gobsmacked

(ps I thought fois gras were brains)

VagabondVegan
Jan 4th, 2011, 02:34 AM
froi gras as in...force feeding ducks/geese/whatever and then killing them to get some sort of patte?...isnt that a pretty no brainer orrrr is it just me?

Johnstuff
Jan 4th, 2011, 11:02 AM
froi gras as in...force feeding ducks/geese/whatever and then killing them to get some sort of patte?...isnt that a pretty no brainer orrrr is it just me?

Nope, you're quite right!

VeganZee
Jan 4th, 2011, 11:51 AM
Welcome to the forum :) I agree with all the other posts - I think fois gras is absolutely disgusting. And I don't think there is anything ethical about eating any animal products. We are so blessed with other amazing things to eat :)

harpy
Jan 4th, 2011, 11:56 AM
Apart from the specifics of foie gras production, it is really quite disturbing that the author and many of the readers can't see anything wrong with making animals live that way (i.e. indoors all the time with no opportunity to engage in natural behaviour) and in fact see this business as an example of good farming practice. I don't know why I'm surprised, though.

sandra
Jan 4th, 2011, 04:00 PM
It is a sad fact that all non vegans are incapable of feeling true empathy with other living beings.............and slightly creepy that they pick and choose which animals to feel empathy towards. They view their 'pets' as deserving empathy but other animals as not deserving.

Clueless Git
Jan 4th, 2011, 09:18 PM
Never mind about the force-feeding - let's make the blogger live in a spacious shed with no access to the outside and no members of the opposite sex and see how he likes it!

'Lo Harpy :)

Anyone up for a bet?

I'll give odds that if the "how would you like that?" argument were offered to the blogger he would say something akin to "If I were a duck/goose I think I'd absolutely love it!"

Any takers?

C'mon, I promise to spend your losings 'wisely' :D

Tofukitty
Jan 23rd, 2011, 07:18 PM
It is a sad fact that all non vegans are incapable of feeling true empathy with other living beings.............and slightly creepy that they pick and choose which animals to feel empathy towards. They view their 'pets' as deserving empathy but other animals as not deserving.

Well said Sandra!

Isn't this pate a by product of a damaged liver???Aren't these poor birds overfed, hence by force for the liver to enlarge?? How on earth could this be viewed in any way other than extreme toture based food?? I am starting to believe in cannibalism:amazed_ani:. Best use for some people.

Minka
Jul 21st, 2011, 12:17 PM
I'm sorry but those ducks were not healthy and happy looking... I don't care if the condition of that farm is 'better than most chicken farms', that article sickens me...