PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Vegan Food Products - Canada

Pages : [1] 2 3

Tigerlily
Feb 4th, 2005, 08:14 PM
I really like the President Choice's organic products. I tried their natural peanut butter, jam, pretzels, soup stock, and a few other odd things I really like them...also since it's a store-brand it's a bit cheaper than other organic stuff.

meatless
Feb 14th, 2005, 12:46 AM
Green Cusine garlic and ginger seitan. www.greencuisine.com
Sol Cuisine spicy black bean burgers. www.solcuisine.com
Montreal Smoked Wheat. www.smokedwheat.com
Le petit chef seitan pie. http://www.commensal.com/live/products_fr_vegan.asp?catID=2&ID=157

I enjoy many of the President's Choice products as well. Makes eating organically a lot cheaper and easier!

Roxy
Feb 14th, 2005, 05:17 AM
I am a fan of Yves veggie products. Some of them aren't vegan but most of them are.

I am also a fan of the Silk non-dairy coffee creamer.

My favourite packaged soup (beause there's not always time to make it from scratch) is Pacific Creamy Butternut Squash soup.

I love the Green Cuisine smoked tempeh patties and make my own peanut sauce to go with them!

I have lots of other favourites too - but these are the ones that come to my mind first. :)

FR
Feb 14th, 2005, 10:51 AM
Wow, I'd raid the freezer section for these bad boys if I lived up there:

http://www.solcuisine.com/products/sol_falafel_burg.html

Feb 15th, 2005, 05:12 AM
Green Cusine garlic and ginger seitan. www.greencuisine.com
Sol Cuisine spicy black bean burgers. www.solcuisine.com
Montreal Smoked Wheat. www.smokedwheat.com
Le petit chef seitan pie. http://www.commensal.com/live/products_fr_vegan.asp?catID=2&ID=157

I enjoy many of the President's Choice products as well. Makes eating organically a lot cheaper and easier!

The Montreal Smoked Wheat sounds delicious! Can I get it anywhere in Ottawa?

wilson
Feb 15th, 2005, 04:16 PM
I'm pretty sure I've seen it at Herb & Spice on Bank Street.

I just had some 'meat' balls that were fantastic, I think they were Yves, didn't buy or cook them myself so I didn't see the packet.

Also check out Soy Delicious non-dairy ice cream, gorgeous. They have that at Herb and Spice as well, some great flavours, like chocolate/peanut butter and mint chocolate. :p

Feb 15th, 2005, 06:57 PM
Awesome, thanks! I'm going head out there today and see if I can find them. I've had some type of soy ice cream, but I dont think it was Soy Delicious, and it wasn't very good. The peanut butter flavour does sound tempting, I might have to pick that up as well.

meatless
Feb 15th, 2005, 07:58 PM
The Montreal Smoked Wheat is also available at Rainbow Foods.

The Peanut Butter zig zag Soy Delicious is my absolute favorite!!

Feb 15th, 2005, 10:55 PM
I had the smoked wheat today , and wow I thought for sure it was smoked meat. The smell was inotxicating, exactly like meat. Blehhhhh, I ate it and now I feel kinda sick. I think I've completely lost my taste for meat. But it did taste like I remember, I don't think I'll be picking it up again..unless I get some kind of meat craving.

I wanted to get the soy delicious peanut butter ice cream but I didnt have enough cash!

meatless
Feb 16th, 2005, 02:00 AM
Did you eat it all at once? I usually make one package last about 3-4 sandwiches.

Feb 16th, 2005, 06:44 PM
Well if I wanted to do it classic smoked meat style then I would have, but no I didnt. I made 2 sandwiches out of it, and then I gave the rest to my dog. She really enjoyed it though.

Tigerlily
Feb 17th, 2005, 04:11 PM
I am not a big fan of the fake meats. Although I do like Yves' soy deli slices. They make school lunches easier.

TheFirstBus
Feb 18th, 2005, 04:36 PM
I always use "So Nice" soymilk I like it a whole lot.

AnarchistFunk
Apr 2nd, 2005, 05:05 PM
the smoked wheat is amazing, i find it kind of expensive for only two sandwhiches, but i enjoy it all the time

sol cuisine is good too, chocolate cool hemp ice cream,

im not to big on the yves products since i think mcdonalds uses their veggie burgers, but the yves breakfast links are amazing i cant lie

sylkan
Apr 26th, 2005, 05:08 AM
In Regina, we have a place called Old fashion Foods (i don't know if there are any anywhere else in Canada) and they grind their own peanut butter from organic peanuts right there in front of you. It is so good! I can't even imagine eating any other kind ever again.

Vernicious Knid
Oct 21st, 2005, 06:10 AM
Hey its too bad that this thread got dropped in April. There is still lots of neat-o Canadian products to discuss.
I tried a vegan frozen dessert the other day (just to let anyone not from the Maritimes know, the term "the other day" refers to anytime that is not now) and it was AWESOME!!
It was called 'Cool Hemp' and it is an ice-cream like product made out of hempseeds by a company out of the Ottawa Vally. Cool Maple is The Best flavour. And all three flavours have Omega-3s due to the hemp.
I wonder if this is available in the United States.

sylkan
Oct 21st, 2005, 10:15 PM
(just to let anyone not from the Maritimes know, the term "the other day" refers to anytime that is not now).

Interesting...it means the same thing for us in saskatchewan too :)

Roxy
Oct 22nd, 2005, 07:49 AM
Hey its too bad that this thread got dropped in April. There is still lots of neat-o Canadian products to discuss.
I tried a vegan frozen dessert the other day (just to let anyone not from the Maritimes know, the term "the other day" refers to anytime that is not now) and it was AWESOME!!
It was called 'Cool Hemp' and it is an ice-cream like product made out of hempseeds by a company out of the Ottawa Vally. Cool Maple is The Best flavour. And all three flavours have Omega-3s due to the hemp.
I wonder if this is available in the United States.

Oooooo Yummy! I've never seen that product here before.

foxytina_69
Oct 22nd, 2005, 11:05 AM
i love silk soy milk

i love the follow your heart gourmet cheese

i love sol cuisine veggie burgers

so good ice cream is really yummy

so nice noel nog ROCKS

tropical source chocolate is very yummy

earth balance butter is great

envirokidz cereal

harvest sun boullion cubes

tinkyada brown rice pasta

san-j organic tamari

some thriftys brand stuff (thriftys is a grocery store here. their mustard, ketchup, hot sauce and organic tofu are all really yummy!)

tropicana calcium fortified orange juice

i cant think of anything else!

Roxy
Oct 22nd, 2005, 05:54 PM
Sweep Pops kettle corn!! Locally made and sooooo tasty!! :D

terra
Nov 2nd, 2005, 05:51 AM
Vernicious Knid - I have that ice cream here in ontario. I've never tried it, but I want to get some now! The maple one sounds delish!

Tina - I love tropical source chocolate too... BUT the only store in my town that carries it, doesn't carry it anymore. :( Everytime I went grocery shopping, I noticed they were out of stock. So I asked when they thought they would get them back in (the chocolate chips), and she said "oh soon"......ya......that was 8 months ago. They still have the price sign up and a coupon for them!

I buy an organic dark chocolate bar now and chop it up to make cookies.
But it's not as good as T.S. chocolate chips! :(

I also like harvest sun boullion cubes ... I make potato/leek soup with them!
I love all three flavors - veg., onion, and herb!

Now that I look at your list, we seem to go to the same grocery chain store.... :p

I cannot find Earth Balance though... I would love to.

I love vanilla almond milk with puffed millet cereal! (I forget the brand names...)

I also love Amy's lentil vegetable soup

I buy garden of eatin' black bean tortilla chips with the organics brand salsa - yum!

Roxy
Nov 2nd, 2005, 07:24 PM
By the sounds of it, I think there must be a whole different selection of vegan foods on the east coast compared to the west coast! :D

Tigerlily
Nov 2nd, 2005, 07:26 PM
I don't know if I mentioned this already but, President Choice makes a very yummy instant vegetatrian chili. :)

Roxy
Feb 1st, 2006, 11:54 PM
The other day I tried for the first time a So Good Icecream Cone. Yummmmm!!!!!!!!

http://www.so-good.ca/english/products_cones.html

I wrote to the people at So Good and asked if the were vegan. Here's the response that I got.

Thank you for contacting Soyaworld. Yes, the So Good Cones are suitable for Vegans. All ingredients are from either plant or mineral source. Please do not hesitate to contact us with any further questions or concerns.

Woohoo! :D

Tigerlily
Feb 4th, 2006, 10:00 PM
Oh, I never seen those here. I miss ice cream cone treats! My fav used to be Klondike bars.