PDA

View Full Version : vegan diet and menopause

Hemlock
Jan 7th, 2011, 08:40 PM
I assumed this wouldn't be a problem for me due to my vegan diet however the last three years has been hell with hot flushes, mood swings and physical deterioration which has not been helped one iota by a vegan diet and lots of soya.
In fact I am no better off than any of my meat eating friends - we are all the same. I have reluctantly started taking synthetic HRT.
Why is it veganism does not protect you from menopause or make you love longer - I am perplexed.

leedsveg
Jan 7th, 2011, 09:02 PM
Why is it veganism does not protect you from menopause or make you love longer - I am perplexed.

Mrs Lv says she'll love me until the end of time. Long enough for me.

Leedsveg

harpy
Jan 7th, 2011, 09:07 PM
That's too bad, Hemlock. I hope you feel better soon.

Some of these things seem to be influenced more by heredity than anything else, don't they? Maybe if you weren't a vegan you would have worse symptoms...

Mind you Harpy mere was an absolute psychopath when she was my age and I'm probably not any barmier than I ever was - but I suppose I might have inherited the relevant genes from my father's side :confused:

Maranne
Jan 8th, 2011, 09:15 AM
I've had my fair share of those symptoms also so I totally feel for you, Hemlock. You neglected my personal favorite menopause complaint though which is a complete inability to remember things including, but not limited to, forgetting why I entered a particular room, where I placed an object I just had and drawing a complete blank when asked for my phone number. I won't mention the time I took one of my dogs out for a stroll and forgot the dog. Sigh. So yes, veganism hasn't done much in the way of preventing a whole host of things I would have thought it should, at least from my perspective.