PDA

View Full Version : "if you don't eat lamb, you're UnAustralian"

Lars
Jan 19th, 2011, 11:48 PM
This thread is mostly aimed at he Australians on ths forum, but for everyone else, this is what plays on tv every night on pretty much all the free-to-air channels around dinner time

The current Advertisment (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1C89osd7Eic)

It's been Advertised in the past mocking vegetarians and New Zealanders and other denominations and despite complaints wouldn't be removed because it was considered "satirical", but that doesn't stop viewers from being meatheads (in the sense of being thick!) and using it as ammunition to further alienate the Veg*n/Animal welfare community.

As an Aussie I fully get the humor they are using but there are so many meatheads (I can't think of a better term!) who take things like this and use it as if it were from their own holy bible of sorts, I mean a commenter on youtube said this ad actually steered him away from veg*ism (but that person is obviously lacking smarts and should be ignored anyway ha ha)

Getting all meat ads off television is kind of farfetched but I complained that they don't need to alienate a good cause in the process. I likened the ad to picking on "rangas" and gay people, there isn't too much of a difference, it's our lives, and we're not going to change, and if it were the former subjects the ad would be taken down so quickly.

long story short... if you want to feel free to go and complain to the Advertising Standards Board of Australia (http://www.adstandards.com.au/)

every complaint helps :evil:

Andy_T
Jan 20th, 2011, 01:14 AM
Well, at least there is some kind of humor to it.
Maybe I am giving Aussies too much credit, but i would not think that many people would see that as anything other than a stupid and halfway satirical advertisement.

Best regards,
Andy

Clueless Git
Jan 23rd, 2011, 11:12 AM
That was baaaaa-d ... :eek:

Tofukitty
Jan 23rd, 2011, 11:38 AM
Sadly, over the years I have noticed people will use ANY excuse not to reduce or stop consuming animal products. I agree though that making fun of veg*ns to promote meat consumption is unacceptable and unappropriate.

fiamma
Jan 23rd, 2011, 12:16 PM
Although the tone of the ad is humorous, I think the underlying message is serious. I've spent time in Australia, and I think - in parts of the country at least - eating meat is very much part of the Australian identity and lifestyle.
Imagine throwing tofu franks and eggplant on the barbie in certain circles... :eek:
I'm sure that's true almost everywhere, but the Australians do seem very fond of their meat.

leedsveg
Jan 23rd, 2011, 03:17 PM
The only comment in the ad that I couldn't disagree with was made by the donkey when he/she said, and I quote the exact words, "Hee Haw". :amazed_ani:

lv

Lars
Jan 26th, 2011, 12:19 AM
Although the tone of the ad is humorous, I think the underlying message is serious. I've spent time in Australia, and I think - in parts of the country at least - eating meat is very much part of the Australian identity and lifestyle.
Imagine throwing tofu franks and eggplant on the barbie in certain circles... :eek:
I'm sure that's true almost everywhere, but the Australians do seem very fond of their meat.

It is, especially if you go any distance away from a capital city, I live in the kind of place where the guys would give you a hard time once they find out your don't eat meat, it's kind of like a way to be macho..

Also, It's Australia Day and we celebrate by having a BBQ, it's just what you do (i've got some nice Fry's bbq burgers for myself)

Already someone on facebook has said "Happy Lamb Day!"