PDA

View Full Version : Low Calorie Vegan Meals

Cate.
Jan 27th, 2011, 09:41 AM
Hi! I have been vegan for about 6 months, and when I started I actually gained weight because I was worried about missing nutrients so I ate way too much, haha.

So I am trying to stick to a 1200/day calorie diet and I am looking for a vegan cookbook or recipes which are low calorie, and have the nutritional information. I am also going to be living at college so cheap and quick would be good too!

I just find that most vegan books say you will lose weight going vegan but don't give any calorie guides to the meals and they often have a lot of (healthy) oils and are often high in calories... I really want vegan recipes for people on a diet but I can't find any on google and I don't know of any good books. I also much prefer recipes based around beans and veggies I can make from scratch instead of soy meat substiutes and instant stuff.
Any help would be really appreciated!! :D

Tofu Monkey
Feb 3rd, 2011, 08:51 PM
I don't know if this will help but there is this (http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/) blog. All of the meals are healthy and normally made up of natural things such as veg, beans and legumes. She also often posts the calorie content after the recipe!

VeganZee
Feb 4th, 2011, 02:52 PM
I was (and still am!) trying to lose that last bit of baby weight and a few months back I was working out the calories in every meal I made. What I found was that vegan meals when they are based around rice and pulses rarely have more than 350 cals a serving. The meals that were higher in calories were nut roast type things. Even my veggie lasagne was around about 350 cals. Most nights I would make something like a red kidney bean chilli, or spicy chicks peas or soup with veggies and beans or pulses with couscous. I would also save a portion of the evening meal for my lunch the next day. Along with a breakfast of 2 weetabix with fruit and soya milk I would usually average about 1100 -1200 cals a day and often this would include a small nakd bar as a snack. Now I have stopped counting the calories but I am aiming to eat 90% of my diet as wholefoods with no white carbs and no refined sugars. I hope this helps :)

Cate.
Feb 7th, 2011, 11:14 PM
I don't know if this will help but there is this (http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/) blog. All of the meals are healthy and normally made up of natural things such as veg, beans and legumes. She also often posts the calorie content after the recipe!

This site looks great- thanks!