PDA

View Full Version : Tempeh as a cheese substitute?

Pages : [1] 2

Glen Lambert
Feb 1st, 2011, 08:03 PM
I was nibbling on a bit of tempeh last night and thought to myself "hmmm....this tastes like I think I remember how cheese used to taste".

Okay, maybe if that cheese was really bland and stuff but after a few more test nibbles I became convinced that it was cheesy.

So, has anyone else ever thought this and used it as such?

twinkle
Feb 1st, 2011, 11:31 PM
I have never really got into tempeh, and part of the reason is because it reminds me of the banana taint your sandwiches get when they've been stuck in a packed lunch box for several hours with a banana. And those sandwiches would usually have been cheese and tomato (from the time I was at school). So, no, apart from very tangentily I can't say tempeh reminds me of cheese :)

Gwydion
Feb 2nd, 2011, 12:15 AM
*rings Glen's doctor*

missbettie
Feb 2nd, 2011, 12:25 AM
i actually kind of agree with you Glen. I think its the texture. I really didn't like tempeh but i finally found a way to cook it in a way that i like it, but the bad thing is I like it soooo much that I eat the whole package....soooo I can't cook it too often...

RubyDuby
Feb 2nd, 2011, 01:01 AM
maybe a big block of hard, stinky feet parmesan.

ps- I like tempeh :p

emmapresley
Feb 2nd, 2011, 02:12 PM
dont do it glen.. back away from the weird tempeh stuff.

i only bought it once, packeted from ootw. the odd looking bumpy stuff? i fail to see how thats appetising on any level.

maybe its like people who have had bad experiences with tofu and are determined never to try it again because its vile. i dont get tempeh, but im willing to give it another go. well, nah, not really.

RubyDuby
Feb 2nd, 2011, 02:42 PM
try it mock chicken salad style! you know, shedded and mixed with mayo, mustard, lemon juice, salt, pepper, parsley... I almost recommended celery. Sorry! Skip that, but you can add whatever you like... bell pepper, pickles, scallions. So good in a warm pita!

emmapresley
Feb 2nd, 2011, 03:12 PM
;) celery!!

woah there pickle.

i may tentatively investigate it again. ty ruby

harpy
Feb 2nd, 2011, 03:32 PM
I usually buy the sliced version that's already flavoured with garlic etc - but I can see why au naturel you might think it think that fermented and slightly mouldy (in a good way!) taste is like cheese, Glen. The texture seems quite different though so you'd need to work on that to use it as a substitute.

cobweb
Feb 2nd, 2011, 04:12 PM
^ slightly mouldy, wtf??? ew!

I quite like the tempeh rashers though.

Glen Lambert
Feb 2nd, 2011, 07:55 PM
dont do it glen.. back away from the weird tempeh stuff.

i only bought it once, packeted from ootw. the odd looking bumpy stuff? i fail to see how thats appetising on any level.

maybe its like people who have had bad experiences with tofu and are determined never to try it again because its vile. i dont get tempeh, but im willing to give it another go. well, nah, not really.

I pretty good at Tofu. I don't by Tempeh too often as I think the only place this side of somewhere very far way that sells it is OOTW. It's really nice. I was nibbling at it raw, I had it grated, I had it marinated, sliced then fried like bacon and I had it in noodle soup. It's all gone now and I am sad.

try it mock chicken salad style! you know, shedded and mixed with mayo, mustard, lemon juice, salt, pepper, parsley... I almost recommended celery. Sorry! Skip that, but you can add whatever you like... bell pepper, pickles, scallions. So good in a warm pita!

OOOH! Sound delicious. Will buy some more Tempeh at the weekend and try that. I'll do a live eat on Twitter too.

emmapresley
Feb 2nd, 2011, 08:24 PM
im gonna be in leeds on sat so if youre there also leave me a packet, ill buy some and try it with an open mind thankyouverymuch.

Glen Lambert
Feb 2nd, 2011, 08:49 PM
im gonna be in leeds on sat so if youre there also leave me a packet, ill buy some and try it with an open mind thankyouverymuch.

I'll be sure to leave a pack.

RubyDuby
Feb 3rd, 2011, 01:25 AM
I'll do a live eat on Twitter too.lol I wish I twittered! ...tweeted?? Twat?!

fondducoeur
Feb 3rd, 2011, 02:17 AM
I'm pretty sure that I don't think tempeh tastes like how I remember cheese tastes (if I do in fact remember...), but I love tempeh!

Gwydion
Feb 3rd, 2011, 07:36 AM
lol I wish I twittered! ...tweeted?? Twat?!

Twatted.

cobweb
Feb 3rd, 2011, 08:31 AM
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa141/heljah/TWATT001-1.jpg

RubyDuby
Feb 3rd, 2011, 12:51 PM
thanks for clearing that up! lol

fiamma
Feb 3rd, 2011, 02:43 PM
The last time I ate tempeh I thought it tasted like tuna!! :eek: Never thought it tasted like cheese though...

emmapresley
Feb 3rd, 2011, 07:42 PM
my leftover brocolli risotto tasted like fish.

just to make this on topic, im not sure i can face a packt of tempeh at the weekend, i really dont think so..

RubyDuby
Feb 3rd, 2011, 07:42 PM
oh no. you can't back out.

emmapresley
Feb 3rd, 2011, 07:46 PM
yes i bloody well can. i didnt sign no contract now way no how you cant make me buy it you cant nu uh

RubyDuby
Feb 3rd, 2011, 08:23 PM
chicken. ;)

missbettie
Feb 3rd, 2011, 08:29 PM
hey rube, do you mix the "chicken" mixture with veganaise? do you heat up the tempeh?

RubyDuby
Feb 3rd, 2011, 08:38 PM
I mix chopped up tempeh with vegenaise, but I don't heat it. I do chill it after everything is mixed. :)