PDA

View Full Version : Weekday Veg*n

aliaslotte
Feb 10th, 2011, 04:34 PM
I was stumbling through the internet - killing time before I head to work - and I came across the following video.
http://www.ted.com/talks/graham_hill_weekday_vegetarian.html

The man proposes a compromise of weekday veg*nism, as a step to reduce our carbon footprint, the cruelty we commit to animals and improve our health.

I just wondered what your thoughts were...

Part of me thinks it is a good stepping stone towards veganism, as I know it can be a scary prospect for many people. Providing the non-vegan options were from welfare protected sources, the harm committed to animals would definitely be less than the average meat eater commits...

fiamma
Feb 10th, 2011, 07:41 PM
a step to reduce our carbon footprint, the cruelty we commit to animals and improve our health.

Obviously a small step is better than none at all. And if it is to reduce one's carbon footprint or improve health, it is something that can be done in part.
But I don't really understand how you can decide to be nice to animals five days out of seven, and continue to slaughter them on the weekend.

For the average man on the street, and the world as a whole, it would certainly be an improvement. But I think it's a little dangerous too; people start needing to see the impact meat eating is having on their health, and on the health of the planet.

harpy
Feb 11th, 2011, 12:24 AM
I think half the battle is getting people to try it, as often they are pleasantly surprised to find how easy it is, so I would be in favour as long as people don't start thinking that a "part-time vegetarian" is a type of vegetarian :) Part-time vegan eating would be better though because if they eat a load of dairy produce or fish instead of meat that wouldn't really be an improvement.

pVegan
Mar 18th, 2011, 03:52 AM
If people are wiling to start making an effort for the reduction of Carbon footprint, I respect that completely. Changing your lifestyle to become 100% vegan is very difficult to do. In don't think you can just change your diet like flipping a light switch. If they make a mental decision and do their best to gradually transform their diet, I give the utmost respect.