PDA

View Full Version : Cake help!

Festered
Feb 17th, 2011, 01:22 AM
Okay I am rubbish at making cakes.I have no money at the moment and it was my friend's birthday yesterday and I couldn't get him anything but-I want to make him a cake this weekend. I have ran out of egg replacer and cannot afford any more.

Ingredients I have;

Flour
Sugar
Cocoa powder
Icing sugar powder
Vegan Marg
Ground almonds
Bars of dark chocolate
Strawberry jam.

Question-can one make a decent cake using such as the above? If so can someone direct me?
Thanks in advance!

Back-Space
Feb 17th, 2011, 03:03 AM
You'll also need some baking soda(leavening), which isn't too expensive. I don't like the idea of using egg replacer in my food anyhow :p Check this out.

http://www.egglesscooking.com/2009/02/16/whacky-vegan-chocolate-cake/
http://www.boutell.com/vegetarian/cake.html

I've just been making some simple things here. Unleavened bread, some really easy cookies :p You could always try reducing the recipe to maybe 1/10th of the size and just cooking some up in a muffin tray or something to see how it turns out before you go all out. Then you can decide if you'd also prefer more or less of a certain ingredient for taste.

cobweb
Feb 17th, 2011, 07:41 AM
Look on the Parsley Soup website, Cherry's cakes always turn out great for me, and I'm not a brilliant cook! :cool:

fiamma
Feb 17th, 2011, 11:09 AM
Gorgeous Choccy Cake

This is pretty much a no-fail cake. I've made it before and it works very well.

Preheat oven to 350F/175C
Line a cake pan with baking parchment and set aside. Mix 1.5 (that's one and a half) cup flour, 1/2 cup very good quality cocoa (I use green and black's) 1 cup sugar 1tsp baking soda and 1/2tsp salt. Add 1/3 cup oil, 1tbsp apple cider vinegar, 1tsp vanilla (always use extract) and 1 cup cold water and stir until just mixed. Pour into cake pan and cook for around 30-35 mins or until a knife comes out clean. Let cool before removing from pan and cool completely before frosting if you wish.
And this cake is even better the next day if you can bear to leave it, it goes even gooier and chocolatey-er!

Festered
Feb 19th, 2011, 05:00 PM
^I've kind of done a mixture of all the above. I didn't have any cider vinegar, I found some baking powder though and used that along with some of the ground almonds. It's in 't oven now. Wish me luck! Thank you as well, everybody! :)Jen

fiamma
Feb 19th, 2011, 05:10 PM
Hey! Good luck with your cake... let us know how it goes!!!