PDA

View Full Version : Favorite vegan dessert

Pages : [1] 2

Korn
Feb 25th, 2011, 11:00 AM
What's your favorite vegan dessert?
Mine is (currently) apples baked with cinnamon and chopped almonds + Oatly (http://www.oatly.co.uk/) vanilla sauce.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_MgJAz5lSvE4/TFW3t5_utgI/AAAAAAAAB6U/9PQmU-mt40M/s1600/vaniljsas_250ml.png

harpy
Feb 25th, 2011, 02:56 PM
That sounds good - haven't seen the vanilla sauce here but will keep eyes peeled.

We usually just eat fresh fruit for dessert but I'm partial to rhubarb and the plants I put in the garden have already started sprouting, so I'm looking forward to having some of that with soy custard. I just bake the rhubarb in the oven with a squeeze of orange juice, but no sugar as the custard is quite sweet.

pusskins
Feb 25th, 2011, 03:12 PM
Bananas and cold set custard.

Trifle.

Cold set custard rules.

eta - OK, am going to admit this. We were once so desperate for trifle, I made one using wheat biscuits (Weetabix) for the sponge base. Not bad, but I found out that you do have to add extra sugar :D and it turns out to be more of a wheaty jelly base.

twinkle
Feb 25th, 2011, 06:16 PM
harpy - my rhubarb is srouting too! When do you normally start picking? I wasn't sure if picking them too young would be detrimental to the plant?

I can't say I have one particular favourite, I'm partial to most desserts. I am fond of fruit sorbets, particularly wild strawberry or raspberry. Pair a scoop of that with some vanilla Swedish Glace and some hot chocolate sauce and I'm pretty happy.

I imagine a wheatabix based trifle would be pretty good, actually. I do like a fresh raspberry trifle with homemade vanilla sponge, topped with custard and slivered almonds.

Better stop. I've just now got a parade of puddings marching through my head! :D

Clueless Git
Feb 26th, 2011, 07:10 PM
Hmmm ..

Not a big dessert eater me, but!

Swedish Glace Vanilla Ice Cream with fresh berries (blueberries!) is my idea of something sweet and nice :)

khadagan
Feb 27th, 2011, 12:28 AM
Probably just a bit of dark single origin chocolate, I can be a bit of a snob when it comes to chocolate.

Also, ice cream, at the moment I'm very much into maple ice cream, they sell it in the supermarket just around the corner, just a bit too easy to buy for me..

Festered
Feb 27th, 2011, 03:38 AM
Coffee-a glass of wine and a couple of squares of dark chocolate.

Lars
Feb 27th, 2011, 08:39 AM
im getting jealous hearing people mention ice cream!

The only things i really know how to whip up without a processor or oven are Peach crumble and soy YoGo/snackpack

Gwydion
Feb 27th, 2011, 09:25 AM

This. Ultimately with a shot or two of whiskey thrown into the coffee for good 'measure'.

Don't think I have ever turned my nose up at a Swedish Glace offering either. With some sort of fruit and crushed biscuit to boot......all the better.

harpy
Feb 27th, 2011, 12:34 PM
When do you normally start picking? I wasn't sure if picking them too young would be detrimental to the plant?

Good question - I didn't pick mine at all last year because you're not meant to in the first year they say, although the plants were pretty vigorous. I think you're meant to be careful in the second year as well. I have looked on the web and there is various advice e.g. http://www.ehow.com/how_4550149_when-should-pick-rhubarb.html

I think I'll go ahead and pick some of mine once the plants have a reasonable number of stalks and leaves - i assume the main thing is not to pick the whole lot at once so that they can't photosynthesise. I might give them some compost as well to encourage them. My homemade compost is a bit repulsive though :o

DeMontfort
Mar 23rd, 2011, 05:40 PM
My favourite dessert would have to be Worthenshaw's Freedom (as seen on Dragon's Den) as it tastes just like mini-milks, the packaging is recyclable and it can be easily picked up from my local supermarket. My pet omni also enjoys it and will happily eat my carton if I leave it in the freezer for too long (beats having to include ice cream on the shopping list).

http://www.worthenshaws-freedom.co.uk/

I do sometimes crave fruit but I have allergies so none of that for me =[

RubyDuby
Mar 23rd, 2011, 06:33 PM
this is most often my dessert, sans coffee, but as far as my favorite that would have to be milkshakes! and there's a non-restaurant here that does mostly all vegan desserts and they are all delicious! I've had chai cheesecake, banana cake, ginger bread cake with candied ginger, chocolate mousse with cocoa nibs and fresh strawberries. I couldn't pick a favorite!

xwitchymagicx
Mar 23rd, 2011, 11:56 PM
Trifle.

I *love* trifle, but only allow myself to eat it at Christmas. Mmmmmmmmm trifle. I also live cheesecake and I'm desperate to make a white chocolate one once Lent is over. lol

christinels
Mar 24th, 2011, 12:27 AM
this is most often my dessert, sans coffee, but as far as my favorite that would have to be milkshakes! and there's a non-restaurant here that does mostly all vegan desserts and they are all delicious! I've had chai cheesecake, banana cake, ginger bread cake with candied ginger, chocolate mousse with cocoa nibs and fresh strawberries. I couldn't pick a favorite!

Where are you in Upstate New York? I'm from Syracuse, and I'm going to kick myself if they have a vegan cafe I never knew about!

RubyDuby
Mar 24th, 2011, 12:53 AM
They do! It's only been open a few years though. Strong Hearts Cafe (http://www.strongheartscafe.com/)is one of my favorites!
Unfortunately I'm an hour and a half away, in Rochester. The Owl House (http://www.owlhouserochester.com/) makes those desserts.

VeganZee
Mar 25th, 2011, 06:37 PM
The chocolate torte in Rose Ellliots Vegan Feasts is fantastic especially with soya whippy cream and some of the vegan white chocolate grated over the top. Also wonderful is a baked tofu cheesecake served with soya whippy cream, raspberry coulis and alpro cream and a partly sliced open strawberry on the side, sometimes I even sprinkle a little bit of icing sugar over the top. Then there is cranberry muffins which I adapted from the Leicestershire Veggie site online (their blueberry muffin recipe) but I substituted cranberries and sprinkled a bit of brown sugar over the top and serve with vanilla swedish glace. Date flapjacks with a layer of vegan chocolate served with soya whippy cream. The chocolate mousse topping in the Vegan cupcakes take over world book is lovely as individual chocolate mousses. Trifle topped with soya whippy cream and hundreds and thousands! and the pancake mix from Vegan with A Vengeance is lovely with tinned peaches, soya whippy cream and maple syrup. I make too many puddings - thank goodness its Lent!

veganwitch
Mar 25th, 2011, 06:48 PM
Give me some good chocolate chip cookies with a cup of black tea and I am happy. Also like any cake or cupcake with LOTS of frosting. I love cheesecakes but for some reason only make them at the holidays. That needs to change.

menestrello
Jan 20th, 2012, 01:49 AM
200g Frozen bananas
300-400g Ice cubes
30g Pea/rice protein powder
150-200g Water
6g Ground cinnamon
About 1 grain of rice worth of Stevia

Add to high speed blender and blend until smooth.

It's not quite ice cream, but close enough for me.

veganosie
Jan 20th, 2012, 10:15 AM
a vegan chocolate cupcake with chocolate frosting and soya cream

(i like chocolate a LOT.)

or stewed apples for something simple and healthier.

failing that an alpro soya yogurt (preferably raspberry) and some dark chocolate. raspberries+chocolate is an awesome combination.

Andy_T
Jan 20th, 2012, 10:22 AM
A ripe, juicy persimmon!

Alpro yogurt (vanilla!) and vegan dark chocolate also rock.

Best regards,
Andy

VeganAthlete
Jan 20th, 2012, 02:36 PM
(i like chocolate a LOT.)

I'm with you on that one. The local vegan restaurant in the city where I currently reside sells these chocolate cupcakes that are sooooo good. The only downside is that they use vegetable shortening in their frosting. I thrive on the low-fat vegan diet so these are occasional little treats.

My favorite dessert is a mint chocolate mocha frapp I prepare at home using my magic bullet.

1 tsp cocoa powder (unsweetened)
1 tsp coffee (instant)
lots of ice
unsweetened almond milk (35 cals for a cup)
unsweetened vegan chocolate chips
candy cane crumbles
stevia (to taste)

Sinfully chocolatey deliciousness in under 100 cals!

veganosie
Jan 20th, 2012, 10:47 PM
ooooh yum! i had a soy mocha for the first time today from starbucks and it was sooo sweet and chocolatey that it satisfied my sweet tooth for about four hours! unheard of. i wish i could have one for dessert every day but i'm too lazy to make my own, plus i don't own the chocolate syrup they use. :(

JaneSky
Jan 21st, 2012, 09:53 AM
My absolute favourite has to be the healthiest, I peel and freeze over-ripe bananas, then when I 'need' a sugar fix, I swizz them in the blender until smooth (may need a few drops of liquid- water is fine, but I'm sure a milk substitute would work)... It is like soft ice-cream, or pop it back in the freezer for a firmer consistency... I'm sure cocoa powder, vanilla, berries etc would make nice variations, but it is more that satisfactory with just one ingredient (make sure the bananas are really ripe - turning brown!), for variety and crunch, sprinkle with pecans/other nuts/crushed vegan ginger biscuits/grated chocolate etc etc according to what you fancy.

I also make vegan cupcakes/celebration cakes (cupcakes are easier to get the texture right) for family and friends (even had a few comissions, but didn't enjoy the -self inflicted- pressure for perfection!).

As a former chocoholic, I do love a bit of dark chocolate, and am extremely pleased at how easy it is to pace myself, and put the rest of the bar back in the cupboard after a couple of pieces (something I could never do with cadbury's dairy milk)! The alpro soya 'yogurts' with cultures - plain and fruit are very nice, as are the alpro soya deserts (vanilla!), I'm planning on making a vegan apple crumble and custard for my omnivorous husband to stop him from feeling 'deprived', and 'milk' shakes for my kids.

veganosie
Jan 21st, 2012, 10:43 AM
ooh i also like a good christmas pudding although it is VERY dense and calorific. also anything with custard - fruit crumble, baked apples, sponge cake etc etc. although i rarely have things like this i do like to dream about them.

Blueberries
Jan 29th, 2012, 08:24 PM
I peel and freeze over-ripe bananas, then when I 'need' a sugar fix, I swizz them in the blender until smooth (may need a few drops of liquid- water is fine, but I'm sure a milk substitute would work)... It is like soft ice-cream..

I do that too! I like to add cocoa powder, raspberries or blueberries, and I use Alpro vanilla milk to get it to blend smoothly.

There are so many desserts, it's hard to choose a favourite!

- Swedish glace ice cream
- Lemon sorbet
- Alpro vanilla pots (on their own or with choc spread, specloos, nuts, frozen fruit and/or crushed-up biscuits)
- Tofu mousse
- Frozen banana ice cream
- White chocolate buttons
- Apple crumble (heated or not, with alpro vanilla pot)
- Biscuits and tea/coffee
- Dark chocolate squares
- Glass of Alpro vanilla milk
- Milkshakes (peanut butter, specloos or fruit)