PDA

View Full Version : Savoury things to bake with a toddler

ZoeP
Mar 16th, 2011, 09:38 PM
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help. I don't know if there's already a thread on this, I couldnt see one.
I love to do baking with my three year old son, but I'm currently cutting sugar out of my diet, so that means no baking cakes or biscuits. (I have NO self control to just bake them and not eat them!:o)
I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for savoury things I could bake? We've done bread, he likes making the dough into shapes, but other than that I can't seem to find any savoury baking recipes. And obviously he can't help me make things like soup and stuff for tea because of hot ovens and knives etc.

Thanks

Enchantress
Mar 16th, 2011, 09:49 PM
You could make crackers.
http://enchantingveganeats.blogspot.com/2010/11/rosemary-crackers.html
That recipe is for rosemary crackers, but you can omit the rosemary and make plain crackers or add other ingredients. You can also use cookie cutters to cut out the crackers instead of marking them with a knife.

sandra
Mar 16th, 2011, 10:49 PM
What about pizza? It's easy enough to make the dough and then you could have fun putting the toppings etc on it? :)

emmapresley
Mar 16th, 2011, 11:38 PM
pizza is a great idea!
toddlers are all about the mixing arent they at this stage..
how about stuff like couscous or rice, that you can cook and he can mix stuff into. or salads, its a great learny thing cos you can get everything out the fridge and bowl it up, go through colours count things, you can chop and he can count and put stuff in and mix it about. not really baking, so sorry about that, but failing that id make cheezly scones. cant go wrong with some scones.

harpy
Mar 17th, 2011, 02:09 AM
This is a bit of a cop-out and not exactly healthy but you can make "cheese" straws with ready-made pastry as described on varous websites including this:

http://www.veggiestuff.com/acatalog/vegan-sheese-straws-1.html

I think a friend said she put a spot of yeast extract it with the fake cheese.

ZoeP
Mar 18th, 2011, 12:11 PM
Ooh, they're excellent ideas! Thankyou! He loves cous cous, so thats definitely an idea. (Everytime I have a bring and share lunch to go to, I bring a different cous cous salad!)
Definitely going to have a go at the pizza as well. Get my artistic on. :)

khadagan
Mar 18th, 2011, 02:29 PM
I often try to involve my 3-year old daughter into anything I cook and bake. Even if it's just putting something in a bowl. When she helped making it she is always happy to eat some of it. She was very picky before, but she's having lots of different things now.

Like you I make bread with her often. I'm just racking my brain over what savoury things I make...I did make muffins the other day and substituted the sugar with blended fruit from the vitamix. We make pancakes together as well, my daughter stirs the mixture and then I bake them obviously and we have different (also non sugary) toppings. I'm going to have a think about this, there must be more things we make, I'm always making things, but just can't think of it now..

kikifromscotland
Mar 18th, 2011, 08:05 PM
I saw a TV show once where they made savoury muffins with grated carrot, they also put in cheese (wasn't a vegan show) could do something similar with alternatives? I don't have any recipes for that specifically but there are many vegan savoury muffin recipes on blogs.

Cathriiine
Jul 19th, 2011, 06:04 PM
What about a delicious multicolored raw ice cream cake? It looks amazing. I haven't tried it yet, but I definitely will this weekend!

http://www.incrediblesmoothies.com/raw-food-diet/raw-recipes/raw-vegan-ice-cream-cake-recipe/