PDA

View Full Version : Recipes that use blackstrap molasses

twinkle
Mar 17th, 2011, 10:18 PM
I recently bought a big jar of organic blackstrap molasses, as it's meant to be a good source of calcium and iron. I stirred a spoonful into some lemon yoghurt. It was okay but not something I really want to repeat.

I intend to try Ruby Duby's 'molasses in hot water with lemon juice' drink, but does anyone have any other ideas or favourite recipes? Otherwise I can see that jar sitting in my cupboard for a very long time!

Thanks! :)

harpy
Mar 17th, 2011, 11:08 PM
I think I have had a jar sitting in my cupboard for a very long time, but I guess you could use it in things like flapjacks or toffee, that call for treacle or golden syrup? I don't know whether it would affect the nutritional value to cook it though.

I did use to stir a spoonful into a glass of orange juice sometimes which isn't too bad provided you use enough orange juice ;) It's meant to be good to have it with vitamin C to help with the iron absorption, isn't it?

twinkle
Mar 18th, 2011, 09:34 PM
Harpy, that's true. I can't say I fancy orange juice and molasses somehow, but I won't knock it until I've tried it.

I had porridge this morning made with half a cup of oats, 2 cups water and a dessertspoon of molasses and a pinch of mixed spice. It was quite nice, will add in some lemon juice when I make it again.

Blueberries
Mar 18th, 2011, 09:37 PM
My favourite way to use it is to make the 'Full meal muffins' from the Vegan Lunch box blog. http://shmooedfood.blogspot.com/2007/02/full-meal-muffins.html.
I make them all the time! They freeze really well and make nice quick healthy snacks, expecially warmed with a little bit of almond butter :D

emmapresley
Mar 18th, 2011, 09:52 PM
i have molasses, but use it rarely..was thinking maybe some a little more often especially after the floaty blood incident the other night. would a teaspoon stirred into a bean chilli be vile do you think?

twinkle
Mar 18th, 2011, 10:21 PM
I should think it would be okay, although even 2 teaspoons is only about 15% of your recommended iron, I think? All adds up though, of course.

twinkle
Mar 18th, 2011, 10:22 PM
My favourite way to use it is to make the 'Full meal muffins' from the Vegan Lunch box blog. http://shmooedfood.blogspot.com/2007/02/full-meal-muffins.html.
I make them all the time! They freeze really well and make nice quick healthy snacks, expecially warmed with a little bit of almond butter :D

Thanks for this, will check them out! :)

kikifromscotland
Mar 19th, 2011, 12:31 PM
A couple of the 'vegan cupcakes take over the world' recipes use molasses, like 's'mores and peanut butter cupcakes. I tend to find it's nicer in baking than drinks.

Gwydion
Mar 19th, 2011, 02:00 PM
I'm sure Whalespace is/was big into this stuff, may be worth sending him a pm.

RubyDuby
Mar 19th, 2011, 05:53 PM
good for potassium too! I'd definitely be interested in learning some more creative ways too add it to my diet... liking the cupcake idea :)