PDA

View Full Version : Packed / School & College lunches / Dorm food

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

spudstud
Sep 28th, 2004, 06:30 PM
Hello, I'm in college. Not one of the big giant places like IUPUI with a cafe that caters to vegans either. A small one-hallway type place. Every day I starve here...what can I bring to keep in my car or somthing to keep me satisfied on my 30 minute break? I don't want veggie burgers to heat up or anything like that - they look to much like the real thing.

Any suggestions? Thanks...
- Matt

gertvegan
Sep 28th, 2004, 06:41 PM
spudstud, this may be of interest to you.

"How We Veganized Our Dining Hall"
by Leor Jacobi, Vegan Action Founder

During the spring semester of 1994, at the behest of the vegan and vegetarian dormitory residents in the group, our campus animal rights group decided that we should do something about the dorm food at the University. We agreed to draft a petition, but by the time we actually got anything done, finals were upon us, and many of the students lost interest as they were about to leave the dormitories and the dorm food forever.

A few of us resolved that we would bring the issue up in the fall, to a new bunch of students. We started thinking about what types of strategies and tactics we would use. We decided to aggressively recruit fresh people and other new members at the beginning of the semester and try to get them active on this issue. It's amazing how issues that hit close to home seem to be so much more motivating. That's one of the big advantages about working on this campaign as opposed to many other campus Animal Rights campaigns: it's easy for students to see how it will directly affect their own lives.

More from vegan action HERE. (http://vegan.org/campaigns/dorm_food/article02.html)

Artichoke47
Sep 28th, 2004, 06:51 PM
I always take Larabars with me to depositions. I eat two or three as a meal.

www.larabar.com

Available at www.veganunlimited.com

spudstud
Sep 28th, 2004, 06:51 PM
Hi! Thanks!
Unfortunatly my school doesn't have a cafe or a dining hall. All it has is student lounge with vending machines. It's a small "college" with like 600 students. Thanks for the info though.
- Matt

Roxy
Sep 28th, 2004, 07:10 PM
What about keeping some fresh fruit in your car now that the weather isn't so hot, it should keep just fine until your break time. I find bananas to be the most filling. Or could you make a sandwich? How about a little bag of nuts with the fruit or sandwich?

These are just some simple suggestions off the top of my head. When I'm working during the day, I don't usually take a break and instead I go home half an hour earlier. I always like to pack a small snack though that I can eat while I'm working. Usually it's an energy bar (similar to a Larabar), or some pretzels. I would like to have fruit, but it can be a bit messy to have at the front counter.

uww27225
Sep 28th, 2004, 07:26 PM
There are lots of things you could do Matt! You could bring bring a salad. I recommend put the dressing in a small container so that you can put that on right before you eat it. You could do a sandwich or wrap. What I do sometimes is bring a tupperware container with some salsa in it, an avacado, a sharp knife, and some tortilla chips. Then at lunch I cut up the avacado and mash it in with the salsa for a quickie quacamole. It's really easy and pretty filling. Plus, it requires minimal thought in the morning, which is always a plus for me! :)
Is there a microwave in the lounge?

spudstud
Sep 28th, 2004, 11:04 PM
Thanks guys!
It all sounds so good. I'l make sure to buy some stuff and a plastic container at the store. Yummy! Yes, there is microwave. I've been getting twizzlers 'cause that the only vegan thing in the vending machine. Keep 'em coming guys...

John
Sep 28th, 2004, 11:12 PM
When I was in school I would usually prepare a sandwich with Tofurky deli slices, vegan cheese, and tomato slices with flaxseed oil on whole wheat bread. I would also have some potato chips and orange juice. I was able to prepare it pretty quickly as I was always in a rush to get to class.

Mystic
Sep 29th, 2004, 10:13 AM
I am at uni, and while there is heaps available to vegans there, I am too poor to buy my lunch, so I bring my own food:

I always pack a sandwich or a roll with hummus/tahini/avocado and salad, plus some snacks, like:
- fresh fruit (whole fruits like apples/bananas or I will slice up a fruit salad and put it in a tupperware container)
- fresh cut up veggies (like carrots, cucumbers or baby cherry tomatoes)
- dried fruit
- fruit juice
- puffed corn/pop corn
- rice cakes
- soy yoghurt (when I get an occassional crazy craving!!!!)

It is just about being a bit organised, thats all.

JaredM
Oct 10th, 2004, 03:06 AM
I need some vegan ideas for school lunches. So far i have pb&j and the jelly has no gelatin, and some type of wrap that my mom makes with hummus, tomatoes, bocoli, peppers, salsa, black beans in a tortilla. I need some more ideas!

ConsciousCuisine
Oct 10th, 2004, 03:10 AM
This is a link to a thread where there are many ideas...

http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1214&highlight=feeding+kids

Andie
Oct 11th, 2004, 12:54 AM
Can you carry soups in a thermos?

Tigerlily
Feb 9th, 2005, 04:11 PM
What kind of things do you guys pack for lunches to school/work/etc?

I'm really running out on ideas. I'm getting tired of soy balonie sandwiches, boring salads, fruits salads, and soy pudding.

What kind of things can you guys recommend? Please note, it can't be microwaved (I'm *NOT* wasting 30minutes of my lunch hour waiting in line for the microwave) and can't have nuts since our school has a nut-free policy because of allergies...but I eat alone on stairs not in the cafeteria, but still I don't want to hurt anyone with allergies.

Thanks a lot guys!

Poison Ivy
Feb 9th, 2005, 04:21 PM
Sandwich fillings - Houmous, Guacamole, Swiss Yeast Pates

Pasta Salad
Rice Salad
Couscous (with oven roasted mediterranean type veggies is really nice :) )

Pita bread stuffed with falafel and salad

gertvegan
Feb 9th, 2005, 04:27 PM
Have a look at THIS (http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=532) thread lily. ;)

snaffler
Feb 9th, 2005, 04:48 PM
One of my fave is cheezly and pickle
Also like humous/Tom/Curly lettuce/cucumber
Peanut butter and cucumber
Swiss Pate Spreads - :D nice stuff

feline01
Feb 9th, 2005, 04:49 PM
hummus is easy to make, nutritious and great in sandwiches
check out gorilla's bean spread thread (http://veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2668&highlight=butterbean+spread) .

foxytina_69
Feb 9th, 2005, 05:06 PM
-crackers and different toppings? (like cream cheese and chives, or red onions, roasted tomatoes, etc.)
-bagels with different toppings
-different flavoured flour tortilla wraps w/ different fillings (roasted red peppers, vegan cream cheese, sun dried tomatoes, anything works)
-peanut butter and jelly sandwiches (i guess you cant bring peanut butter can you?)
-mock chicken, egg or tuna sandwiches
-different soups or pastas or anything warm in a thermos (heated up before u go to school and it will still be warm at lunch time)
-different veggies with different dips
-do you like veggie dogs? wrap them in bisquit dough and bake them
-pancakes with fruit spread (theyre good cold)
-taco salad
-dried fruits
-cereal mixes
-popcorn with seasoning (you can make this before and bring it to school)

PinkFluffyCloud
Feb 9th, 2005, 05:48 PM
Sausage rolls
Homemade Vegan Pasties
Homous Kisses (ready-to-roll Pastry, cut into small squares, spread with Homous then tied into a little 'kiss' shape and baked, mmmm-mmmmm!)
Cold homemade Pizzas or flavoured bread (baked with things like Garlic or Celery or fruit in the mixture)
Scones
Pittas filled with Salad

Tigerlily
Feb 10th, 2005, 02:44 PM
Thanks for all the tips! *hugs*

My mom is taking me out to Subway for lunch today but tomorrow or Monday when I pack my lunch, I might make a sandwich with hummous (my mom makes it very good, I'll just have to let her go easy with the garlic!). And the bean spread looks delicious.

Korn
Jul 13th, 2005, 06:03 AM
http://www.healthyschoollunches.org/changes/index.html

Roxy
Jul 13th, 2005, 06:38 PM
Great website Korn. I was actually pleasantly suprised by what it says! :D

nakaniNumen
Nov 12th, 2005, 10:21 AM
So like... what food does everyone here live off of at college? At RIT everything is extremely expensive, and the selection is o-so-poor :eek:

Here's some of my combos and favs:

_ Hummus + pita bread + tomatoes
_ "Silk" soy milk + .... anything??? :cool:
_ "Very Vanilla Silk" soy milk + bag of granola (I like to just pour it right into the bag and eat it out of there to save on extra dishes!)

_ Trail mix = great snackage + protein = great! :D

I wish I could think of some more right now but I'm kind of tired, so why don't you share some of your favorites for the benefit of poor vegan college students worldwide? :)

Skajen
Nov 12th, 2005, 10:25 AM
i go to uni in surrey and the only vegan options are chips, salad etc. However, one restaruant does hummus and roast vegetables in crusty bread sandwich with chips....chips again?! there isn't a vegan, vegetarian or even animal rights society at my uni, i approached the fair trade table and the girl went on to me at great lengths about fair trade, so i said...so you promote vegan/veggie living then... "oh no we don't do that" i was so disapointed as wanted to join society...i have no vegan mates, all meaties!

sorry i totally lost the point of the thread then xxx

Mr Flibble
Nov 12th, 2005, 10:59 AM
i have no vegan mates, all meaties!

I used to live close to Guildford (Godalming) for 6 years (up until just over 5 years ago when i moved out and went to uni) and AR in the area was a lot more active than it is in places I've lived since. I know at least some of the people have moved away, but if you're interested in meeting others and perhaps attending some demos then you may wanna check out Surrey Wildlife Protection Group. They had monthly meetings in central guildford (walking distance from the uni) when i was there, and their contact details are on the following page:

http://www.veggies.org.uk/acd/europe/uk/rescue/countys.htm

Straying back on topic, when I was at uni i just had cook pretty much everything myself. I'd done this when living as a vegan with my non vegetarian parents thou, so i did have a head start on people who got to uni and cried because they didn't even know how to make beans on toast. My survival tips for working in a shared kitchen is to keep all your cooking stuff in your room (get a small fridge if needed) and invest in some large chopping boards. That way no one can use your stuff to cook meat with and then not wash it, and you don't have to worry about the cleanliness of the worktops etc, because your food only comes into contact with the chopping boards.