PDA

View Full Version : Soy/Soya milk concerns

ems.w
Mar 31st, 2011, 07:57 PM
I've been reading some articles about soya milk as i've been hearing around that it can be bad for you and can even lead to breast and ovarian cancer in women. Is this true? Can anyone help with this is so confused!

harpy
Apr 4th, 2011, 01:10 PM
Hello - you might want to look back at some of the older threads about this question, e.g.:

http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?27132-What-is-so-bad-about-soy

http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?626-Is-soya-bad-for-your-health

My view, which I've posted in both those threads I think, is that I'm happy to eat it moderation but preferably in "traditional" forms such as tofu and tempeh rather than more processed ones. Personally I don't think it's a good idea to eat vast amounts of any specific food, a variety is better. However I gather some of the more worrying material that's to be found on the web emanates from the meat and dairy industries and its supporters.

xwitchymagicx
Apr 4th, 2011, 02:03 PM
I think the best thing to do is to just have variety...for example I do eat soy foods (tempeh, tofu) but I've decided to drink rice milk as a drink so I don't eat too much of one type of food!

Everything is bad for you if you consume too much of it!

As Harpy says no doubt they are trying to make people worry that converting to veganism will lead to cancer so you'll continue consuming their products!

ems.w
Apr 4th, 2011, 03:03 PM
Thanks guys i dont eat a large amout of soy/soya so i think what i consume will be fine it just become a little scary when you read soya isn't good for you. But then thinking to my self that cultures such as china have been eating it for hundred of thousands of years.

Aylanna
May 9th, 2011, 10:23 PM
Thanks for addressing this question (and thanks to ems.w for asking). Someone was just talking to me about why they believe soy to be bad. After listening to them on the environmental concerns I think I will be checking where the soy I consume was grown and how and now as was discussed above I will consume soy in moderation.

Andy_T
May 9th, 2011, 11:08 PM
I always like to refer people to http://www.johnrobbins.info/blog/what-about-soy/, which i consider to be a well-written and moderate explanation.

Best regards,
Andy

ems.w
May 12th, 2011, 05:26 PM
Thanks for replying guys i have decided that soy isn't 'bad' for us i just believe that we need to consume it in small amounts. My partner has cancer already and shes been vegan for a few months but has drank soya milk for about 6 years now (lactose intollarent) and now eats soya products and when we visited her doctor (cancer) a few weeks ago shes was very pleased with the change in my partner and said becoming vegan was probs the best thing she could of done for her body. This in its self has put my mind at ease about soya especially when knowing its been ate in eastern countries for thousands of years. (i believe and this is just my thoughts, that these articals about soya been bad for us is just the 'man' getting scared that people are waking up to the meat industry and saying no i wont eat what you tell me too, and with the meat industary been worth million of billions of pound all over the world there scared of loosing out and so they should be!) Reading about how munks invented forms of 'soya' products hundreds of years ago and still eat them today such as tempha i have no quarms. I know it sounds a bit morbid but if soya is bad id rather die from that than, knowing that it wasn't because i ate meat or any other animal products and harmed any life.
Ramble over lol. :)

ems.w
May 12th, 2011, 05:30 PM
Aylanna i totally agree with the fact that our soya make be enviromentally unfriendly especially that it may be harming the rain forest to be grown, but the sad fact is that its getting grown there because all other 'farming' land is been used for live stock. if you find any products that arn't grown in a un-enviromentally friendly way please let me know i'd be very intrested.