PDA

View Full Version : Wedding Food Suggestions Needed

Risker
Apr 3rd, 2011, 09:13 PM
I've got a wedding to go to soon and the bride to be has asked me to specify what we'd like for food.

The caterers have said they prefer vegans to state exactly what they want so that they get it right. As such I think asking for anything too complicated is out of the question.

The omni menu is as follows...

Starter: Glazed Goats Cheese Bruschetta.
Main meal: Cold Meats, Mediterranean Vegetable Quiche, Hot Buttered New Potatoes, Rice, Salad & Coldslaw.
Dessert: Dark & White Chocolate Cheesecake With Red Berry Coulis or Fresh Fruit Salad.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, would be great to make others envious of our meal :)

Andy_T
Apr 3rd, 2011, 09:23 PM
Hi Abe,

great that she asks you!!!

Seems easy to me - here a suggestion that would not make others envious, but would 'blend in'.

Starter: Normal (Tomato/red pepper/whatever vegetable) bruschetta
Main meal: Vegan pate or meatloaf, Vegan quiche or ratatouille (no specific connections to what is offered, only what I just had for dinner and loved), potatoes in olive oil, rice, salad, vegan coleslaw
Dessert: Fresh fruit salad

Best regards,
Andy

PS can't hurt to write them a few lines about what specifically to avoid. Don't know how strict you are, I normally take balsamic vinegar in restaurants although it might not be vegan.

Risker
Apr 3rd, 2011, 09:27 PM
Thanks Andy, I think we need to be very specific though either by telling them how to make things or where to buy them, I don't think I can ask them to do things like making vegan pate/quiches. It either needs to be simple to make or readily available for them to purchase.

harpy
Apr 3rd, 2011, 09:32 PM
Interesting one - I think I might avoid suggesting anything too similar to what the others are having actually as that way they won't be tempted to include non vegan items, e.g. filling a quiche base made with butter or lard :p with vegan filling. Having said that I suppose bruschetta would be OK as they normally use ciabatta which is vegan anyway?

I would probably try and send recipes or at least ingredients lists as well as they sound a bit clueless, and I would probably go for something simplish as a main course such as, yes, ratatouille or roast veg with rice (though again that probably wouldn't fulfil your criterion of making the others envious).

Will be interested to hear how it turns out! ETA having read your reply to Andy I'd say those individual H&B quiches might be the solution. Not sure about a starter, how about Redwood falafels - then they can buy everything in one trip to H&B :D And tell them to get you some vegan icecream while they're there.

Risker
Apr 3rd, 2011, 09:46 PM
I've asked if they'll get some stuff from H&B, I think they'll probably be okay with it. That way they could do vegan pate as Andy suggested and maybe things like redwoods sage & onion slices or those party sausage selection packs.

For Bruschetta I was thinking just to specify to use Hovis bread if we're going to have that.

Risker
Apr 3rd, 2011, 10:09 PM
Okay, thinking along these lines...

Starter: Bruschetta made with Hovis granary rolls, olive oil and garlic, topped with Redwoods vegi deli pate.
Main meal: Redwoods vegi deli sage & onion slices, party snack sausage selection from H&B, Hot new Potatoes with olive oil, undressed salad, fresh sprouts from H&B
Dessert: Cheesecake from H&B With swedish glace ice cream.

Followed by a list of things vegans don't eat just do avoid any mistakes.

harpy
Apr 3rd, 2011, 10:28 PM
Hope it doesn't blow their budget though? :/

Risker
Apr 3rd, 2011, 10:42 PM
Hmm... Is it that much? I suppose I'll offer to pay towards it. Do you know if those snack sausage selection things made by Redwoods? I couldn't find it on their website.

Maybe we could just have fresh fruit salad for the desert.

harpy
Apr 3rd, 2011, 10:58 PM
Dunno, was just thinking caterers tend to do things on the cheap. Suppose you could list some items for them to choose from but then you might end up with very little... what would Heather do? ;) yes am fairly sure the sausages were Redwood's but might have been a Christmas special

Clueless Git
Apr 5th, 2011, 10:36 AM
'Lo Risker :)

For a main course an 'exotic' rissotto (wild mushrooms, butternut squash - mebbe?) is cheap(ish), easy to make and appealing to omnis and veg-head alike.

If you want something that gives the omnis an insight into vegan food being a bit more interesting than omni food without any meat then I would stay well clear of all 'faux meats' if I were you.

Hope the wedding goes well!

Risker
Apr 5th, 2011, 05:58 PM
Thanks for the suggestion Cupid.

I went with my above menu, decided to try and keep it simple and similar to the main menu. Don't want to be a nuisance to the bride when it's meant to be her special day. I said we'd have fruit salad for desert.

harpy
Apr 5th, 2011, 07:23 PM
I'm sure it will be fine, Risker. You'll just have to remember to smack your lips appreciatively while eating to ensure the other guests feel suitably envious ;)

Firestorm
Apr 5th, 2011, 08:24 PM
Have you already chosen you menu? If not you could always ask for a Redwood Cheatin Celebration Roast from H&B, that way you will get Turkey style roast, sausages wrapped in facon and gravy and its all in one easy package.
I think the saugsage selection was a Christmas special.

If your having fruit salad for dessert you could ask them to stick an Alpro dessert on top (which could be easily and cheaply provided by yourself) or Crackers and Soya Cheese or a Vegan Crumble (easy to make just swap butter for Soya Marg.

I went to a wedding a few months ago and the Vegan option was made without any consultation, I ended up with a fruit salad starter (the same as everyone else), Stirfry, and Fruit Salad for dessert.

The stir fry was great (and made some of the Omni's/Veggies a little jealous as they were having very stodgy pies in the height of summer) but the fruit salad dessert was a bit disapointing - luckily I brought a Black Friars Flapjack and had that as well.

Good Luck, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.