PDA

View Full Version : Oil Free Vegan

2010goodjuju
Apr 21st, 2011, 04:06 PM
I have recently transformed from a chicken and fish eater, to plant based/plant strong diet. (Engine 2 Diet). Within this diet, there is to be no oil (except in raw nuts) consumed. ANY TYPE! I am such a treat freak, I am trying to find substitutes for oil and butter. I am afraid to try (even look at) vegan margarine, afraid that it is still oil based. Any suggestions? Been meat/dairy/egg free since January!!!!

Firestorm
Apr 24th, 2011, 12:49 PM
Err thats not an easy one, you could try making potato pastry (There is a recipe for Knishes in Vegan with a Vengence, I use this but leave the oil out).

This seems to be quite a good site for recipes http://recipesbyrebekah.wordpress.com/category/engine-2-diet/.

I've never heard of this diet before but have just had a look into it, I work for the Emergency Services in the UK and had no idea there was a Fire Service based diet in the US:bigsmile:.

Mymblesdaughter
Apr 24th, 2011, 03:02 PM
If you want to make desserts and cakes I think you can use applesauce instead of oil/marg. If you look online you will find some recipes but basically if you usually use 1 cup of oil you use 1 cup of applesauce instead. This is a recipe I use a lot you could try and substitute the oil. I think it's more common to use applesauce in American than the UK so maybe someone else could give you some more info.

Chocolate Banana Cake
1/4 Cup of SR Flour
3 tsp Baking Soda
1/4 Cup Cocoa powder
8 Tbsp Oil
1 Cup Sugar (I use 1/2 cup as I find it too sweet)
1 1/4 cups water or 1/2 soya milk and 3/4 water
1 medium banana mashed

Mix all ingredients together put into 2 8 " sponge tins and cook for 30 - 40 mins 375F Gas 5

I've never tried this with applesauce so can't guarantee it will work.