PDA

View Full Version : Tips for picking up exercise without obsessing about it?

buttons
Apr 27th, 2011, 07:22 AM
Hi. Long time no type!

Due to some changes in my medical situation over the last 2 years, I've gained some weight.* I've decided that I want to add to my routine (walking/public transporting everywhere and lugging uni stuff around) in order to improve my fitnesss and hopefully drop a little bit of weight. My diet is pretty much fine, but my habit of eating muesli straight out of the box as a snack ought to stop!;)

Anywhoosit, the problem is that the last time I started dieting and exercising, I got rather obsessive about it. I was miserable, and clocking up 2+ hrs of exercise a day, when I was already commuting to and from my work for 2hrs a day. It consumed a great deal of my life, and I wasn't eating enough to sustain the level of exertion I put myself through. It wasn't healthy. I was, essentially, trying to shape myself into a form I cannot take. I was trying for a skinny, skinny-waisted figure with straight-up-and-down thighs when I'm just not engineered like that, y'know?

I just want to know if anyone has any tips for preventing a spiral into obsession/preoccupation, or tips for stopping myself from trying to attain the unattainable. Tips for keeping a healthy lid on things, pretty much.

Thanks for reading.

*2-5kg, vitals and counts are fine, my doctor isn't worried.