PDA

View Full Version : Raised pie?

harpy
May 11th, 2011, 12:29 PM
I've got to make a posh picnic for a mixed vegetarian and omnivore bunch and I was thinking about trying to make a raised pie (like a game pie but without the game) as that always looks spectacular. Just wondered if anyone had done this and if so whether you could pass on the recipe please?

I have found a few recipes that could probably be made vegan like this one http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/632101 I guess I will need to have a trial run because it won't work for a picnic unless the filling holds together, but I have a few months to experiment.

pusskins
May 11th, 2011, 02:15 PM
That looks stunning! Never heard of the term raised pie before :)

I saw a recipe for something similar in one of my veggie mags. Will squirrel it out for you to have a look at.

harpy
May 11th, 2011, 02:23 PM
Thank you Pusskins. I think it's a traditional Olde Englishe thinge - pork pies (and the porkless equivalent from H&B) are "raised pies" too I think.

I have had vegetable-based versions of this in the distant past, but not vegan. The vegetarian society has this one http://www.recipes.vegsoc.org/recipe.aspx?cId=572&cTheme=&c2Id=585&c2Theme=&counter=36&submit=Next&keywords=nu&andor=all&cMain=yes but it might be a bit Christmassy for August!

Would be interested to hear about your one when you have a mo, please.

kokopelli
May 11th, 2011, 06:42 PM
My son had a similar urge to make vegan pork-pie style pies a few months ago. He used a recipe for 'hot water pastry' which is the kind they use for pork pies, but he used Trex instead of lard. I don't know where he got his recipe (it was somewhere online) but this one sounds similar:

http://www.allotment.org.uk/allotment_foods/pastry-making/hot-water-pastry.php

He made pie filling with butternut squash, potatoes, onions, celery, beans and vecon, then let it cool a little. He moulded the pastry around glass jars, then put in the filling with a flat pastry lid on top, pinching around the edge to seal.

They came out lovely and crispy and were great the next day, cold with chutney. In fact they were so lovely he went through a little phase of making them in different styles and shapes, until we got (literally) fed up with them! The main drawback is the thought of the amount of solid, white vegetable fat you're consuming!!!

harpy
May 11th, 2011, 06:46 PM
Thank you Kokopelli - the VegSoc recipe also has hot water pastry I think. I suppose you do need fairly stiff pastry for a pie that shape!

As you say, it wouldn't be a good thing to have as a dietary staple from the artery point of view, but it's encouraging that your son succeeded in making them. He doesn't take commissions does he? ;)

Firestorm
May 11th, 2011, 06:50 PM
Hi Harpy
There is something similar to what your describing in this months Vegetarian Living magazine http://www.vegetarianliving.co.uk/themagazine.php?issue=10.
Is this the kind of thing your after?

harpy
May 11th, 2011, 06:55 PM
Thanks very much Firestorm - the picture on the cover certainly looks similar to what I'm thinking of, and the other picnic ideas sound like something I should look at as well. I'll have to see if I can get a copy.

Firestorm
May 11th, 2011, 07:42 PM
The recipe is basically pastry, the one in the mag is made with butter & eggs.
Inside its aubergine (fried and cooled), the peppers (from a jar of char-grilled peppers in oil), feta cheese, rocket leaves, a slice of tomato, pesto, sliced avocado and more aubergine.

I would post the full recipe but I might get into trouble for that!

harpy
May 11th, 2011, 08:22 PM
Thanks very much Firestorm. Do they want you to cook the pie with the filling, then? Just thinking cooking the avocado might produce odd results! I think I will try and buy the mag anyway because some of the other picnic ideas might be good (or don't they look vegan-friendly?)

Got a nasty feeling these pies are often glued together with cheese but I'm sure they are possible without - Kokopelli's son has shown the way!

Firestorm
May 11th, 2011, 08:41 PM
Hi
Yes your supposed to cook them with the filling in (not sure how it would taste though - the avocado could be replaced with something like mushrooms?) and the lids are sealed on using water.
Its a good magazine, where possible they try and put a "Go vegan" paragraph at the bottom of recipes advising how to make it vegan, and some of the recipes are vegan themselves.

The picnic recipes they have included are:

Mediterranean Pie (front cover - with a go vegan option)
Sun dried tomato and cheese scones with watercress and egg.
Mini falafel and mozzarella pitta pockets (go vegan option)
Orzo and cannellini bean salad with tomatoes and nectarines (vegan)
Quinoa salad with avocado, apple and beetroot (vegan)
Sweet strawberry cream dip (go vegan option)
Pink lemonade & Summer Pimms (both vegan)

harpy
May 12th, 2011, 01:15 AM
Thanks again Firestorm - I will look out for a copy as I don't think I've ever read that one. (House is a bit overrun with mags including The Vegan and The Vegetarian, my music ones, OH's astronomy ones etc etc so am usually a bit hesitant about introducing more!)