PDA

View Full Version : Pepsi make 100% plant based bottle

Firestorm
Jul 1st, 2011, 06:10 PM
Not sure if anyone has heard about this or not but Pepsi have developed a new plastic bottle made from 100% vegetable sources (switch grass, pine bark, corn husks, orange peels, oat husks and potato peels). It will also be 100% recyclable.

http://www.triplepundit.com/2011/03/pepsis-new-100-plant-based-fully-recyclable-plastic-bottle-good-keep/

BunkyVegan
Sep 2nd, 2011, 12:24 AM
That's great news lol

It's also good that they're able to use the food waste from their own plants to make the bottles. Hopefully they will share the technology with other companies as well.

CoolCat
Sep 2nd, 2011, 01:54 PM
Are they using GMO corn though?

There was a documentary in the Netherlands on how biodegradable plastic made out of GMO corn is used to wrap organic fruits. Tbh I would prefer petroleum plastics above GMO crap.

Another issue with biodegradable is that it takes too long to compost in commercial installations. The compost factory the documentary showed composts organic waste in two weeks. Those plastics takes more time and are just burned instead.

fawnM
Sep 19th, 2011, 04:34 AM
Good to hear that Pepsi made it 100% plant based bottle. I am not familiar with GMO corn but I am now curious about it. I have done a small research about the new Pepsi bottle and found an interesting article.

"The bottle is made from bio-based raw materials, including switch grass, pine bark and corn husks. In the future, the company expects to broaden the renewable sources used to create the "green" bottle to include orange peels, potato peels, oat hulls and other agricultural byproducts from its foods business."

Here's the link (http://www.pepsico.com/PressRelease/PepsiCo-Develops-Worlds-First-100-Percent-Plant-Based-Renewably-Sourced-PET-Bott03152011.html) to the original posting.

Risker
Sep 19th, 2011, 05:12 PM
Tbh I would prefer petroleum plastics above GMO crap.

Why?

CoolCat
Sep 19th, 2011, 05:22 PM
Why?

Because we shouldn't mess with our food like that... nobody knows the long term effects it will have. GMO genes already infected organic stuff in the USA.. once harmful side effects can be identified it will be too late to turn it back. It's uncertain, and unneeded. The only ones that want it are companies making money from it.

adam.rurka
Sep 19th, 2011, 07:38 PM
GMO's have already been so widely released, that I doubt there is any going back (in my uneducated opinion).

fawnM
Sep 27th, 2011, 05:37 AM
I agree. It has been widely released and we can't do anything about it. It's business!!! I have done a small research about GMO and found some interesting facts about it. Really scary harmful effects!

Check out the link below.
http://www.raw-wisdom.com/50harmful.

(http://www.raw-wisdom.com/50harmful.)

Consistency
Feb 29th, 2012, 06:40 PM
Pepsi is acidic. The company can go on with trying to be "moral" however their product is poison.

brokedownpalace
Mar 1st, 2012, 12:26 AM
It's great that Pepsi have spent money developing an 100% recyclable bottle, but in the end they're just trying to make up for the worthlessness of their product by improving the packaging. Well if people didn't buy Pepsi in the first place, there wouldn't be any environmentally friendly or non-environmentally friendly bottles to worry about anyway!

sarannity
Mar 10th, 2012, 01:41 PM
That's brilliant! I really like it when big corporations make the first move on environmental things like this. It's a move forward that wasn't required by them really and it will raise awareness of the issue, as well as allowing the smaller companies to follow suit without the initial cost of developing the packaging themselves.

I think it's important not to dwell on the negative side of things, it's a step forward in my opinion, we definitely need to be moving away from petroleum based plastics and the main thing is they have developed something vegetable based, the source of this vegetable can change.

LouiseAbel
Mar 11th, 2012, 09:51 AM
That's great. I hate to be supportive of a company that makes billions from feeding people complete crap, but this is the first and last time I'll do it.

Consistency
Mar 11th, 2012, 11:19 AM
That's great. I hate to be supportive of a company that makes billions from feeding people complete crap, but this is the first and last time I'll do it.

Realism at its finest ;)

Daffodil
Mar 13th, 2012, 04:26 PM
Pepsi is acidic. The company can go on with trying to be "moral" however their product is poison.

good point! :-)

LouiseAbel
Mar 13th, 2012, 08:20 PM
Realism at its finest ;)

Oh, I return the compliment! (Your earlier comment). :-)